Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Price

09-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
What would turn me off? Not enough of an upgrade over my K-5 to justify the cost.

I want higher resolution, more DR, and better high ISO performance. The amount I'm willing to pay depends on how much of each of those I get.
These are the big 3 for me too. Combine those with great autofocusing and a good burst rate and I will happily forego other purchases in order to save up for whatever it will cost.

If it is not a great action camera, no problemo, I will use the K3 for birds, dance etc.

I don't mind if it is big and heavy either. If I want to travel light, I will pack my K7 or K3. The 645s are chunky but everyone who has them seems to love them.
09-06-2015, 03:20 AM   #63

I like my K3. For me a larger viewfinder and / or a fully articulating lcd might seduce me...
09-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
If they do t come out with a fast and super accurate AF system for me I won't be buying. I find there AF to be terrible and if they don't do anything about it with the FF I may have to say goodbye
The K-3s AF is fantastic...

I won't buy it based on size. Like others have said, a D810 sized camera would be a no go for me.

09-06-2015, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If, at any time, it appears in more than two colors (black/silver) I'm out.

09-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #66
Pentaxian

I have to say I would be disappointed if they would reuse the K-3's AF as it is, like Nikon did for the D600/D610 (using an APS-C AF). I wouldn't like to have the AF points clustered in the centre.
But, we'll see in about a month I guess.
09-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #67
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
So what would turn you off from buying the new Pentax FF
If they change the lens mount so my "Ladies" are no use.

09-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #68
Veteran Member

I have a great deal of trouble imagining a situation where Ricoh thinks crippling the K-mount would be a good idea.
09-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #69

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
I have a great deal of trouble imagining a situation where Ricoh thinks crippling the K-mount would be a good idea.
The is no way in the world that the K mount would be phased out. If they even thought about it they'd loose 50% of their Pentax customers over night. Half the fun of ff is using these old babies right. It's just so unfortunate that there doesn't exist a technology that permits you to use the DA lenses as though they were FF lenses without he cropping
09-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #70
Veteran Member

The is no way in the world that the K mount would be phased out. If they even thought about it they'd loose 50% of their Pentax customers over night. Half the fun of ff is using these old babies right. It's just so unfortunate that there doesn't exist a technology that permits you to use the DA lenses as though they were FF lenses without he cropping
Some of the DA lenses might be okay on FF, but even more of a killer for me is the lack of an aperture ring. Suppose it's harder to fit in alongside the weather sealing.
09-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cost + lenses.

My old DA 18-135mm won't cut it on an FF, I'd need to since some dough on FF lenses besides the old Sigma 28mm f/2.8, Pentax M-50, Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 and Pentax M-200 that I have.
Many of my shots are casual / 'walk about', I'd need to find a reasonably priced replacement for my 18-135 'and' still pay for the cost of an FF camera.

As far as the camera goes... 'IF' its reasonable when my k-30 dies, I'd consider it.
09-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #72

Price is a factor but mount type might also be in play, still not sold on the FA mount on the released mockups. So Lenses and lens cost will also play in making the new FF unattractive.

Hidden serious bugs like the recent k-3II GPS woes.

No programmable buttons.

No built in flash. I can live without GPS but in a pinch a flash, even a built in one has more use even if i have a remote flash.

Wifi/BT isn't important to me as most DSLR wifi connectivity these days is spotty at best and insufferably slow and complicated for most people especially if your clients system isn't setup to inter-home message which is about 99% of setups. Most of the time i carry a combination USB/SD card reader and that's what i use, even at USB v1.0 it still better than wifi.

Bad battery life would be a deterrent even with a grip battery pack.

Slow or unstable write to card speeds: Buss/Buffer write speed to memory card is important but even my old k200d with a a UHS card saves quickly for a camera of that era.
09-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chippedoff Quote
mount type might also be in play, still not sold on the FA mount on the released mockups.
What mount would you prefer instead of the K mount? Sony E mount, Nikon F, Canon EF, M42?

QuoteOriginally posted by zplus Quote
I won't buy it based on size. Like others have said, a D810 sized camera would be a no go for me.
Because you're afraid it won't fit in you purse? The D810 is smaller than the D4s. And in any case Nikon have never been able to make a small SLR camera in the first place - that has always been Olympus and Pentax territory.
09-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
What mount would you prefer instead of the K mount? Sony E mount, Nikon F, Canon EF, M42?
The K mount. I believe i hinted at i was not entirely convinced that the FF mock ups with the K FA Pentax has released will be what we will be getting. I had the same experience with my Nikon d90 with the mock up having some sort of Frankenstein-ed mount.

I thought about your question and it would be nice to have less problems between Sigma and Pentax.

Maybe i am just being a little paranoid.

~On the contrary i always hope for the best, unfortunately experience has taught me to expect the worst.~ (Garik)
09-06-2015, 05:37 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chippedoff Quote
The K mount. I believe i hinted at i was not entirely convinced that the FF mock ups with the K FA Pentax has released will be what we will be getting. I had the same experience with my Nikon d90 with the mock up having some sort of Frankenstein-ed mount.

I thought about your question and it would be nice to have less problems between Sigma and Pentax.

Maybe i am just being a little paranoid.

~On the contrary i always hope for the best, unfortunately experience has taught me to expect the worst.~ (Garik)
I don't know what you mean by "less problems between Sigma and Pentax", but I would have thought the main problem was at the business end, getting the same level of treatment that other mounts get. At the product end, I've had several Sigmas, including the 105/2.8 macro and the 10-20/3.5, neither of which had any discernible K-mount problems, and still have the 8-16/4.5-5.6 (@Adam - incorrectly listed as a legacy lens, here, as an aside).

I'm sure an improved level of treatment will eventuate with the growth of the K-mount user base, and the anticipated level of uptake of the forthcoming 35FF body should assist that.