Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2015, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chippedoff Quote
The K mount. I believe i hinted at i was not entirely convinced that the FF mock ups with the K FA Pentax has released will be what we will be getting. I had the same experience with my Nikon d90 with the mock up having some sort of Frankenstein-ed mount.
What business logic would ever make Ricoh abandon the K-mount?

If we think about it, the best thing Ricoh can do is increase the installed base of K-mounts in the marketplace. They lock buyers into lens purchases, encourage third-party lens makers, continue the backward compatibility tradition, benefit from completely sunk engineering costs, etc. Increase the number of working K-mounts in the field - I didn't say cameras, I said K-mounts. Cameras don't matter - only K-mounts matter.

Ricoh shouldn't care what color the body is; what sensor size is behind the mount; what electronics are in or hardware is on the body, because none of that defines Pentax. K-mount defines Pentax. K-mount IS Pentax and Pentax IS K-mount. The K-mount and only the K-mount unifies every SLR made by Pentax since the 70's.

09-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #77
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Because you're afraid it won't fit in you purse? The D810 is smaller than the D4s. And in any case Nikon have never been able to make a small SLR camera in the first place - that has always been Olympus and Pentax territory.
Fascinating, thank you for your input. I plan to write your epiphany down and put it in my purse...
09-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What business logic would ever make Ricoh abandon the K-mount?

If we think about it, the best thing Ricoh can do is increase the installed base of K-mounts in the marketplace. They lock buyers into lens purchases, encourage third-party lens makers, continue the backward compatibility tradition, benefit from completely sunk engineering costs, etc. Increase the number of working K-mounts in the field - I didn't say cameras, I said K-mounts. Cameras don't matter - only K-mounts matter.

Ricoh shouldn't care what color the body is; what sensor size is behind the mount; what electronics are in or hardware is on the body, because none of that defines Pentax. K-mount defines Pentax. K-mount IS Pentax and Pentax IS K-mount.
Ricoh in interviews has said they are committed to supporting the K-mount. Several times they have mentioned there are 20 million K-mount lens out there and they want to continue to provide access to them.
09-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Ricoh in interviews has said they are committed to supporting the K-mount. Several times they have mentioned there are 20 million K-mount lens out there and they want to continue to provide access to them.
Precisely my point to the gentleman who doesn't believe the FF mockup is a (K) FA-mount camera (I think he meant not a crippled KAF2, or KAF2).

Last edited by monochrome; 09-06-2015 at 07:46 PM.
09-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
Cost + lenses.

My old DA 18-135mm won't cut it on an FF, I'd need to since some dough on FF lenses besides the old Sigma 28mm f/2.8, Pentax M-50, Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 and Pentax M-200 that I have.
Many of my shots are casual / 'walk about', I'd need to find a reasonably priced replacement for my 18-135 'and' still pay for the cost of an FF camera.

As far as the camera goes... 'IF' its reasonable when my k-30 dies, I'd consider it.
A cheap walk about with similar range is an FA 28-200 - not the best lens on earth but the last time I shot one it was not bad at all on an APSC camera. I would hope it would give reasonable results on the FF.
09-06-2015, 11:33 PM   #81

If its rights that the Pentax FF should have the same Sensor as Sonys A7RII and if its right that Third-Camera-Manufactors get Sony-Sensors earliest 6 Month past a Sony Camery - HOW can the Pentax FF have this 42MP-Sensor - when they come this Year?
09-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In my case... price.. but that would mostly make a difference for me to be an early buyer.. eventually i will buy the FF for sure ( at a lower price ). Just the fact of having a FF sensor would fit most of my needs ( ISO performance, DOF, IQ and resolution ).

09-07-2015, 12:37 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chippedoff Quote
The K mount. I believe i hinted at i was not entirely convinced that the FF mock ups with the K FA Pentax has released will be what we will be getting. I had the same experience with my Nikon d90 with the mock up having some sort of Frankenstein-ed mount.
We were specifically promised a K-mount DSLR, compatible (via a crop function) with existing DA lenses. It won't be any worse than the K-3.
09-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
With all the rumors and requests out there let's change the subject a bit (maybe Pentax Ricoh are listening???). What would put you off from buying the FF. For me it comes down to one feature that Pentax just can't get right and I hope with the new FF they get it right. If they do t come out with a fast and super accurate AF system for me I won't be buying. I find there AF to be terrible and if they don't do anything about it with the FF I may have to say goodbye

$$$$ !
09-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #85
Veteran Member

With all the rumors and requests out there let's change the subject a bit (maybe Pentax Ricoh are listening???). What would put you off from buying the FF. For me it comes down to one feature that Pentax just can't get right and I hope with the new FF they get it right. If they do t come out with a fast and super accurate AF system for me I won't be buying. I find there AF to be terrible and if they don't do anything about it with the FF I may have to say goodbye
AF speed and accuracy.
Premium glass with fast, quiet AF.

All the other pieces of the puzzle are there. I know the Sony sensor is going to be excellent. I know the build quality and ergonomics will be as good or better than the K-3 (which is excellent).

I'm stuck between the Sony FE line and waiting on Ricoh to see what they have.
09-07-2015, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #86

Original Poster
Anyone remember back in the day when Pentax launched the km, the 2 spotmatic's the km and the kx together and ruled the market and every journalist out there was using the k1000? Well, I don't know about you but I just have this feeling that Pentax are going to do the same with the new FF. Let the first model come out and before long they are going to kick ass again!!!!
09-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #87

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm stuck between the Sony FE line and waiting on Ricoh to see what they have.
you are not alone ... but I have not (yet?) invested in FE glass, I just use my K-mount lenses until I know whether to switch away from Pentax or not ;-)
09-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Anyone remember back in the day when Pentax launched the km, the 2 spotmatic's the km and the kx together and ruled the market and every journalist out there was using the k1000? Well, I don't know about you but I just have this feeling that Pentax are going to do the same with the new FF. Let the first model come out and before long they are going to kick ass again!!!!
Didn't people see in black and white in those days?
09-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Pentax may be able to 'expand' its FA lens lineup, and bring more people in WITH FF. Tamron/Sigma would be more likely to design/sell FF lenses - (using their same formula as other mounts), knowing that there's an FF camera to sell for.
Many wouldn't (don't want to) fork over the cash for a FF lens on an APS-C camera. Many of their 'main' lenses are FF, while many superzoom consumer lenses are APS-C.

Eg. 16-50mm f/2.8 would most likely be replaced with 28-75mm f/2.8. They've brought out the 70-200mm f/2.8 already.
09-07-2015, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This? Note the K1000 was introduced slightly later than the KM, KX and K2, as an afterthought.