Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #1

How will the new FF compare to the Nikon D810????

It know it seems rediculous to jump the gun before he full frame even comes out but the question is......: how will this camera compare to the Nikon D 810 and its vast array of lenses? I am so tempted to ditch my Pentax gear and move to Nikon seeing how well the 810 is performing. The only thing that is holding me back is a little bit of faith, a dash of patient, and the fact that if I were to jump ship would I be able to get rid of my Pentax line up (k5, 16-50 sdm, da 55-300, da 35 f2 and smc 50 a 1.7

09-08-2015, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
I am so tempted to ditch my Pentax gear and move to Nikon seeing how well the 810 is performing.
Please do so.
09-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Are you asking for permission? It's your money; do what you want.

I'll never understand the troll mentality.
09-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
No no.....calm down everyone. I was hoping to get a bit of feedback with what people thought about where Pentax may be going with the future line up compared to the huge success of the D810. As I said, it may be jumping the gun, as we have really no idea what the new FF will do, but when you see the 810 doing so well it's tempting

09-08-2015, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It know it seems rediculous to jump the gun before he full frame even comes out but the question is......: how will this camera compare to the Nikon D 810 and its vast array of lenses? I am so tempted to ditch my Pentax gear and move to Nikon seeing how well the 810 is performing. The only thing that is holding me back is a little bit of faith, a dash of patient, and the fact that if I were to jump ship would I be able to get rid of my Pentax line up (k5, 16-50 sdm, da 55-300, da 35 f2 and smc 50 a 1.7
The D810 is a marvelous camera by all accounts. You don' t have a lot of Pentax gear so switching wouldn't be a massive undertaking. There isn't anything wrong with trying another system. You will likely be able to sell your K5 but it will bring a small fraction of what it once would have. The 16-50 and 55-300 prices have also taken a hit. There is no DA 35 f/2 - do you mean the DA 35 f/2.4 or the FA 35 f/2 or the DA 35 f/2.8? The A 50 1.7 also will sell but not for a ton. Still nothing to scoff at - money is money. I would encourage you to leap if you feel the urge - it may lead you back here or to a place you are happy either outcome is good.
09-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the D800 for all my "wide" shots and use my K-3 for all my "long" shots. Couldn't be happier. Doesn't have to be an "either/or" proposition. In addition to those two bodies I often carry a Coolpix A in my pants pocket for those times when I want to have at least good IQ.

YMMV

Michael
09-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The D810 is a marvelous camera by all accounts. You don' t have a lot of Pentax gear so switching wouldn't be a massive undertaking. There isn't anything wrong with trying another system. You will likely be able to sell your K5 but it will bring a small fraction of what it once would have. The 16-50 and 55-300 prices have also taken a hit. There is no DA 35 f/2 - do you mean the DA 35 f/2.4 or the FA 35 f/2 or the DA 35 f/2.8? The A 50 1.7 also will sell but not for a ton. Still nothing to scoff at - money is money. I would encourage you to leap if you feel the urge - it may lead you back here or to a place you are happy either outcome is good.

Sorry for the typo, the FA 35 f2 (awesome lens by the way). Thanks for the feedback. Let's hope October bring new news

09-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry for the typo, the FA 35 f2 (awesome lens by the way). Thanks for the feedback. Let's hope October bring new news
On the plus side the FA 35 is full frame as is your A 50 f/1.7.
09-08-2015, 11:14 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you wait for a month or so you will know the specs and the D810 may go down in price some, so why not wait and see? What will having the D810 do for your photography right now, this minute, that can't wait for a month?
09-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
If you wait for a month or so you will know the specs and the D810 may go down in price some, so why not wait and see? What will having the D810 do for your photography right now, this minute, that can't wait for a month?
That's a good point.
09-08-2015, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

How will the new FF compare to the Nikon D 180???? It know it seems rediculous to jump the gun before he full frame even comes out but the question is......: how will this camera compare to the Nikon D 810 and its vast array of lenses? I am so tempted to ditch my Pentax gear and move to Nikon seeing how well the 810 is performing. The only thing that is holding me back is a little bit of faith, a dash of patient, and the fact that if I were to jump ship would I be able to get rid of my Pentax line up (k5, 16-50 sdm, da 55-300, da 35 f2 and smc 50 a 1.7
I've thought for a while about the same thing as you . My position is the followong: Since selling mint Pentax gear lead to a loss of value, and moving from APSC to FF is rather a change of system (different body and difference lenses), I figured that I'd sell a few lenses that are redundant in my current APSC lineup, keep my current Pentax lenses and body for using them, and stopped k-mount purhases while waiting to see how Pentax offer will evolve. In the future, whenever I'd decide buy a full frame camera or medium format, I'd be open to what's available at the time of purchase, whether it is Pentax, Nikon, Canon or Sony. But for now, I just consolidated my Pentax system and saving money for the future. We'll see. Be aware that D810 may be obsolete in a couple of years.

---------- Post added 08-09-15 at 20:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I use the D800 for all my "wide" shots and use my K-3 for all my "long" shots.
Definitely makes sense.
09-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like Pentax is using same sensor as A7r II, which means not quite as good low ISO as the D810, but better high ISO and faster frame rate (assuming Pentax has a processor that can implement it). As to actual specs, no one knows , but I would assume that even if Pentax passes Nikon now, Nikon will pass them again in six or nine months.
09-08-2015, 11:43 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

If I switched today, I would get into the Sony system not Nikon or Canon or anyone else.

To get an 810 and lenses close to the range you have will set you back something north of $6k. The Nikon will get you a little more resolution but the question is whether it is worth the cost. I own the K3 and for the money, it would kick Canon and Nikon butt all day long.

My advice. Go K3 short term and go FF later. I "upgraded" from Canon 6D and bunch of L glass to a Pentax K5IIs with the three amigos and never looked back.
09-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Now that's the type of answer I (we) have been looking for. Great feedback
09-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

how will this camera compare to the Nikon D 810 and its vast array of lenses?
Did you do a search for similar topics before making this post

Steve