Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
It know it seems rediculous to jump the gun before he full frame even comes out but the question is......: how will this camera compare to the Nikon D 810 and its vast array of lenses? I am so tempted to ditch my Pentax gear and move to Nikon seeing how well the 810 is performing. The only thing that is holding me back is a little bit of faith, a dash of patient, and the fact that if I were to jump ship would I be able to get rid of my Pentax line up (k5, 16-50 sdm, da 55-300, da 35 f2 and smc 50 a 1.7
The wait is almost over...we will know in the coming months, so I would wait it out then make my decision then.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Get both.

Plus a Sony A7rII and a Canon 5D3, just to make sure you aren't missing out on something Sony or Canon may be offering.
09-08-2015, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It know it seems rediculous to jump the gun before he full frame even comes out but the question is......: how will this camera compare to the Nikon D 810 and its vast array of lenses? I am so tempted to ditch my Pentax gear and move to Nikon seeing how well the 810 is performing. The only thing that is holding me back is a little bit of faith, a dash of patient, and the fact that if I were to jump ship would I be able to get rid of my Pentax line up (k5, 16-50 sdm, da 55-300, da 35 f2 and smc 50 a 1.7
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Please do so.
Buh Bye.
09-08-2015, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #19

Original Poster
I don't know how it is possible that some of us can take a constructive forum thread into something so negative and cynical. It's not the first time that this happens. Comments like 'buh bye' don't help anyone here. A thread like this is supposed to be for everyone to learn not to humiliate or attack if it were so

09-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I don't know how it is possible that some of us can take a constructive forum thread into something so negative and cynical. It's not the first time that this happens. Comments like 'buh bye' don't help anyone here. A thread like this is supposed to be for everyone to learn not to humiliate or attack if it were so
+1. I agree completely. Sometimes we learn a lot from a seemingly mundane or routine question.
09-08-2015, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would agree. I hope my comments were seen as more in line with constructive advice not flip commentary to shame anyone. I think exploring another system is a valid option for many people. I feel too invested in Pentax to seriously consider it myself at this time but over time it could happen. I shot Nikon before Pentax (film), and Yashica before that. Photography is an art but it takes tools. Changing tools doesn't make you a bad photographer.
09-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

My post was semi-serious.

No one camera can do everything you need (or want). No need for folks to torture themselves about either/or dilemmas.

09-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No one knows the specifications of the coming FF Pentax, so the question, "How will it compare . . . . ?" is moot. Ridiculous - subject to ridicule. It isn't serious. Openly wondering whether you can sell your Pentax gear is not constructive, nor does it beg guidance and information. Rather it is inflammatory.

Benefit of the doubt?

Advice: Wait a month for the Pentax release. Wait another month for the reviews from the early adopters. Make your play, use what you choose and don't look back.
09-08-2015, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #24
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think it's reasonable to expect that the Pentax FF cameras will have very similar image quality to equivalent models from Canon, Nikon and Sony in single shot mode, but also offer the multi-shot Real Resolution mode.

I'd wait and see. Also, the D810 will surely be updated soon, so if you want the latest and greatest, you'd have to wait either way.
09-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Here is my take.

1. Pentax FF is just a month away, I think all you need to do is go out and shoot more picts and all of a sudden, that 1 month will have arrived. (ie. don't think too much at this point, 1 mth is easily over with some distraction)

2. There are some unknowns that we kinda know (ie. pixel shift; on camera SR; GPS and astrotracker; pentax handling; pentax interface; pentax WR; pentax smallish lenses) ... These are things that will make me choose Pentax over D810 already.

3.There is the practical and the theoretic imo (and somehow forums tend to drive folks towards the latter).
Practically means you already have the lenses. You go out the door with what you have, and you make the picts using your eqpt to the best than you can muster at that time.
The Theoretical means you just sit down facing the beautiful sunset, and lament on the 'what it could have beens'.
Your eqpt is already good, going D810 also means D810 quality lenses (added costs), going the Pentax FF route means you only spend on a new camera, esp when its not really preventing you making nice photos.

4. The cameras of the same lineage nowadays are really very close to each other in performance.
People can go I up you this you up me that, but the reality when looking at it w/o side by side comparisons is very little difference.
Which is why I think ppl like to go for DXO numbers nowadays.
Since they themselves can't prove it in picts, they point to harder to derive (so harder to reposte) numbers from DXO.
So Pentax FF, D810, A7RII, A7R, the difference will really be very little and often a win some lose some in different aspects of the camera/system

5. As for lens selection.
The often used stick to beat at Pentax.
So how many lenses does someone who says such a thing actually buy?
I often see many such folks get Sigma, Tamron on the Canikon over the OEM lenses.
Not that all the users don't buy OEM lenses, just that its often over emphasised.
You already have some lenses, some work in crop mode, and 2 work on FF, better than starting from scratch imo.
09-08-2015, 05:23 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the October release date publicly stated by Pentax? I thought there was still some doubt about the exact date.
09-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is the October release date publicly stated by Pentax? I thought there was still some doubt about the exact date.
October 6 is the end of the official information embargo when specs and release date will be made public. It might be the 6th or it might be something else.
09-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Asahiman gave a very clear hint about October 6 being "full of frames". He is usually pretty accurate.
09-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #29
Forum Member

I'm in a related boat. Tho not lacking for any kind of gear I've been eagerly awaiting a FF Pentax for a long time, as have many others. I shoot D800s, really like them, but I'm still waiting to see if the new FF Pentax will have features that will make it compelling to add to my arsenal of photographic tools. Things like pixel-shift multi-shot that would reduce color moire I'd find useful for hi rez still life images. 42MP with pixel-shift would be an immense IQ back with good lenses mounted.
IBIS to make further use of all my old film-era lens collection, native or adapted.

So yes, waiting to see what will become available and at what initial price point would be a good thing to continue to do.

I'm still hoping they'll bring out a fully compatible K-mount, but with a shortened register distance and OEM adapter barrel, to use with legacy glass and all other lens mounts could then be possible with adapters. I doubt they'd do that, but it'd put them in more direct competition with Sony's A7 series which some people are finding immensely versatile and capable. We'd have more options, Ricoh might sell more bodies, and maybe more lenses.
09-08-2015, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #30

Photos: Albums
"Pro" feaures in Canikon...

It seems to me, from random encounters of information in lens tests and educational articles online, high-end Nikons and Canons just have a bunch of tunes, tweaks, settings, that are geared to completely serious users in their systems. Like there's in-camera options for which focusing screen you have installed, adjustment of playback and live view parameters like focus peaking and highlight warning sensitivities... buttons aren't HARD CODED TO JPEG SHOOTING ITEMS, and Canikon releasing APIs, making tools like FoCal possible. (Do people make custom computer programs to control their high-end full frames, for.... stuff?) Custom ISO / Shutter steps. A 1/250 flash sync. Etc. I know I'd like to install an s-type or split-type focusing screen made by my camera's OEM and have settings in the camera to make it work right. Plus, on my K-3 today, I just noticed the "maze" pattern evident in the dark region of the dynamic range, at 200%. Sony's been blasted for their full-frame RAW format being lossy, but those are people who are seriously pushing the print quality potential of their cameras. I can shoot an f1.4 lens wide open at ISO 3200 on my K-3, and make perfectly usable computer-monitor sized pictures with judicious post-processing. In fact, I think the thing making me stay in APS-C and not go to M4/3 or even just carrying an RX100 is that the K-3's ergonomics are AWESOME and a DSLR (usually) has a wider shooting envelope with focusing, burst rates, FLASHES, and most of all, terrific battery life (with a grip I can shoot as long as I can buy AA batteries in a store along the way), and hey, it's rugged. All for a thousand bucks. Though as you know no camera is perfect, and personally I'm waiting for a FF camera that has an EVF, battery grip AND awesome ergonomics... it will come... I owned an RX100, and if it weren't for the form factor, performance, and in-camera USB charging (which I prefer), I would have hated it because of the haptics. I've handled the A7 and A6000... I don't like sony's design. If the K-3 had an electronic focus distance scale display accessible in live view... anywhere... and MAYBE a tilt screen.... well, I already find the K-3 to be really fast shooting "from the hip." I've had some shots I wouldn't have gotten with another camera with a fumbly interface.

What I'm saying is... Pentax is feature-rich, FOR THE PRICE. I wonder what direction they're going to take the FF. Hopefully no-holds barred, come out swinging, $4k MSRP, features people would die for, or at least be on the same playing field as other high end FFs. They don't need a $1,500 FF DSLR. Please no. There's a lot of really nice things in a $3-5k camera body. I have to live with Pentax knowing that Pentax seems to want to not totally alienate "scene mode" shooters and just not wanting to program certain useful things into software to keep their cameras affordable. It's a good balance but the extra features in another system may break the case for you.