Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Weather Resistant Zeiss Full Frame Lenses

Zeiss recently announced a new lens line called "Milvus" Here's a link to the line up of these lenses at B&H. These are full frame lenses.

This looks to me that these new Milvus lenses are a refresh of the old ZF, ZE and ZK line of Zeiss lens. I used to own many of the Zeiss ZF lenses, and currently own 2 of the Zeiss ZK lenses (Pentax mount). From reading the B&H specs, it would appear that the new lenses have the same: optical formulas, front filter threads, aperture ranges, and minimum focus distances as the old lenses. The new lenses are slightly less weight then the older versions.

Currently these new lenses are only offered in the Nikon and Canon mounts.

Unlike the older versions, these newer versions are "weather sealed" (Yeah!!!).

Let's assume for a moment that this new line of Zeiss lenses is someday offered in the Pentax mount. If (or when) this happens, will I be upgrading my older Zeiss ZK lens for the new Milvus version just for the weather sealing? Probably not, however, if I was purchasing a new lens rather then replacing one, I'd probably purchase the new Milvus lenses instead of the older versions (which of course are only available used as they have not been made for 4 or 5 years now).

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 09-11-2015 at 04:29 PM.
09-11-2015, 04:30 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Tas
Site Supporter

If these new weather sealed Zeisses are made in ZK, I will be jumping in. I have five already but I've missed out on the 21/2.8 and would hope they added the lenses that missed out on a ZK release like the 135/2, 25/2 and 15/2.8, weather sealed or not.

Dreams for now, but it would be a nice addition to provide more FF options considering some of the new Sigma and Tamron options are not available in K mount.
09-11-2015, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
If these new weather sealed Zeisses are made in ZK, I will be jumping in.
I agree, I looked at the announcement yesterday and thought - those would be very nice in K-mount. I wonder if we will see this announced in conjunction with the new Pentax FF release. That would be icing on the cake
09-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

With Zeiss's exit from the K-mount and Tamron's recent lack of interested, I wouldn't count on it. But it sure would be nice!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
From reading the B&H specs, it would appear that the new lenses have the same: optical formulas, front filter threads, aperture ranges, and minimum focus distances as the old lenses. The new lenses are slightly less weight then the older versions.
Quick correction -- the optical formulae of the 50/1.4 and the 85/1.4 have both changed (in particular, the 50 is now a Distagon and not a Planar), while the other four remain the same. Also, I'm pretty sure the weights have actually increased; for example, the Canon version of the 35/2 went from 570g to 702g.
09-11-2015, 05:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I always read their name as the 'Milhouse' lenses. Can't stop myself.
09-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

These newer lenses also do not have aperture rings.
09-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
These newer lenses also do not have aperture rings.
Then what are they offering a de-click option for on the Nikon versions?

09-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
because for reasons that escape me they are again offering the lever aperture control rather than EMD on these newer lenses. The Nikon versions do have aperture rings, but the fact that none of these are offered in Pentax K mount at the product launch isn't a good sign.
09-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #10
Tas
Site Supporter

A long shot

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I agree, I looked at the announcement yesterday and thought - those would be very nice in K-mount. I wonder if we will see this announced in conjunction with the new Pentax FF release. That would be icing on the cake
That would be a dream for sure, alas like the other comments here, I don't see this happening.

Maybe if the FF is a success it could herald a new wave of interest in K mount, and from that one day we might get some new Zeiss icing for the K mount cake.

For now, I'll continue to enjoy my ZK's on my K5 and look forward to the day when I can combine these lenses with a larger sensor.
09-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
For video.
09-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
With Zeiss's exit from the K-mount and Tamron's recent lack of interested, I wouldn't count on it. But it sure would be nice!
I agree with you Adam.

I just did a quick math of the Three Amigos againt the almost three equivalent Zeiss new offerings. The Zeiss trio will cost another $2,000 or so more than the Pentax offering. My question to the forum members is this. Even if Zeiss did offer the lenses in PK mount, how many people are willing to pay the extra $2K to get it?
09-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I just did a quick math of the Three Amigos againt the almost three equivalent Zeiss new offerings. The Zeiss trio will cost another $2,000 or so more than the Pentax offering.
I don't think it's valid to compare the new Zeiss offerings with the obsolete Pentax generation.
Let's see how expensive the updated D FA Limiteds will be,
in 2017 or whenever they appear following the forthcoming D FA zooms.

Except for a 100/2, my ZK lenses were all less than four figures,
quite comparable to the range of FA Limited prices.
09-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I don't think it's valid to compare the new Zeiss offerings with the obsolete Pentax generation.
Let's see how expensive the updated D FA Limiteds will be,
in 2017 or whenever they appear following the forthcoming D FA zooms.

Except for a 100/2, my ZK lenses were all less than four figures,
quite comparable to the range of FA Limited prices.
You are right. This was not meant to be a quality or value comparison. However, Limited FAs are all that is available in the Pentax arsenal for FF in the focal range with close enough specs to the Zeiss. I still want to know if Zeiss became available if people would pay the extra $$$ to get it. Just a curiosity question.
09-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I still want to know if Zeiss became available if people would pay the extra $$$ to get it.
That is certainly a pertinent question.

One of the reasons for Zeiss discontinuing the old ZK line
was the very small number of Pentaxians ready to pay Zeiss prices for manual-focus lenses.

Ricoh will need to capture a broader high-end market for their FF offerings
if Zeiss are to consider offering these new lenses in the K-mount.

At the moment, the only way for Pentaxians to access new Zeiss glass
would be to go for the industrial M42 (ZS) versions.