Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
From K5 to K3 or K3ii you will feel the upgrade.. 24mp sensor, better AF, body design ( buttons ), movie features, memory slots, wifi, etc .. but it wont be as much as if you wait for the FF that will have much more than that.. just the fact of having a FF sensor deserves the wait ( if you feel that you need what a FF sensor gives ).. about the time.. late OCt.. a good source around here said that oct 6th will be the date when Ricoh announce the camera spects.. about the lenses, one of the first thing sthat they announce back in february was that the camera WILL SUPPORT aps-c lenses ( DA / DAL / DA* ), they didnt way how.. but most of us can imagine a Crop Mode similar to the Nikon feature. .. Price.. most people said ( even a well known website ) that the camera will be between the $2000 and $2500 ..

09-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #17
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If we're going to give noogies for all the wrong speculations around here we're going to be knockin' a lot of noggins.
This is true.. might cut down on the extreme speculations though..

---------- Post added 09-12-15 at 10:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
...one of the first thing sthat they announce back in february was that the camera WILL SUPPORT aps-c lenses ( DA / DAL / DA* ), they didnt way how.. but most of us can imagine a Crop Mode similar to the Nikon feature. .. Price.. most people said ( even a well known website ) that the camera will be between the $2000 and $2500 ..
Yes.. it is within the realm of possible to anticipate a system similar to that of Nikon digital FF bodies wherein they have several crop modes.. 1.2x 1.5x etc.

*IF* they give us a 1.2x mode, it should really work for most DA lenses save for the really wide ones.. IIRC from the page where people tested DA lenses for FFabiltiy, many were just slightly shy of being FFable.. 1.2 could fix that while slightly improving resolution.. nice feature to have while saving for and analyzing what new lenses to get. Wouldn't have to start from square one.
09-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
The "rumor" is Oct. 6th...42MP : Pentax full frame DSLR camera rumored to be announced on October 6th | Photo Rumors
09-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Only about 3 weeks away.
It's going to be a loooooong 3 weeks.

09-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #20

Since K3 and K3ii's prices are getting lower and lower, why not upgrade now and wait until FF is mature? I'm also waiting for FF, but my K5 is fulfilling my needs (except autofocus). APSC tech is more mature in the Pentax realm, maybe wait for FF to mature first?
09-13-2015, 01:20 AM   #21

I believe the fact that Pentax have waited so long to release the FF to me supports the fact it it will already be 'mature'. They have sat back and waited to see the flaws in the other brands and i am hopeful that when the FF is released it will be close to flawless. Close to flawless I said, not perfect but much better than the others on the market
09-13-2015, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
As the honorary president of the International Association against Premature Christmas Decoration (IAPCD) I firmly protest this notion.

I don't remember voting you in to office as Pres, but I might have had I been informed of the association's AGM and seen your nomination.
I too absolutely detest hearing "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" and seeing Christmas decorations in stores the week after Easter! (OK, slight exaggeration about the "week after Easter" - but only slight)
09-13-2015, 04:03 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
After I get the full frame, I'll keep the K3 for use as a back up, or for those excusions where I want to go light, or need to use a long telephoto lens.
For long telephoto you can get almost the same by cropping (post processing or in camera) from the FF camera.

---------- Post added 09-13-2015 at 01:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
*IF* they give us a 1.2x mode, it should really work for most DA lenses save for the really wide ones.. IIRC from the page where people tested DA lenses for FFabiltiy, many were just slightly shy of being FFable.. 1.2 could fix that while slightly improving resolution.. nice feature to have while saving for and analyzing what new lenses to get. Wouldn't have to start from square one.
Why not choose crop factor in the post process? The appropriate crop factor of a zoom lens will vary with both focal length and aperture. I think choosing crop factor for every adjustment would be impractical. There is enough of things to remember and adjust in the photographing situation. I think its an advantage to postpone adjustments that can be postponed without negative impacts.

09-13-2015, 06:48 AM   #24
mee
Site Supporter

Because that is one more thing to do in PP that can be handled by the camera.. I'm for offloading work not increasing it. Once you figure out your lenses, it wouldn't be impractical at all.... Unless you have 80 lenses.. I only have 10 and I'm pretty sure 7 out of 10 will function well in a 1.2x crop mode.
09-13-2015, 08:38 AM   #25
Site Supporter

How much shake reduction effect do you think will be lost when decreasing the crop factor from 1.5x to 1.2x?
09-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I don't remember voting you in to office as Pres, but I might have had I been informed of the association's AGM and seen your nomination.
I know I could count on you, Rod. But we're not a democracy, we're an anarchosyndicalistic collective that does not hold elections.

QuoteQuote:
I too absolutely detest hearing "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" and seeing Christmas decorations in stores the week after Easter! (OK, slight exaggeration about the "week after Easter" - but only slight)
Well spoken. We have a spot open for Honorary Secretary for Life of the association, if you're interested?

And to throw in a bit of on-topic (after all we're not in THAT thread):

If the FF will be officially announced on 6th October, I expect it to hit the shelves in late October/early November. The K3 was announced on 7th October 2013 and released early November. I expect the FF to be released with either a 24-70 f/2.8 or 28-105(ish) f/4 kit lens - or both. If it's not the 24-70, that will be released still in 2015. The UWA will follow in early 2016.
09-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #27
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
How much shake reduction effect do you think will be lost when decreasing the crop factor from 1.5x to 1.2x?
None.. I suspect it will work the same at 1.0x as it does at 1.2x and 1.5x ... that is, we won't get an improved result in the crop modes.
09-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #28
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Local Walmart here back in August already had the Layaway for Christmas signage up.. At this point, in the middle of Summer, they might as well have kept the signs up year round.
09-15-2015, 11:12 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Did you just say the holiday season is approaching? In early September?! As the honorary president of the International Association against Premature Christmas Decoration (IAPCD) I firmly protest this notion.
Where do I join? Any dues?
09-16-2015, 03:37 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
Where do I join? Any dues?
Join outside any delinquent store holding a sign saying "Christmas is not until December" (in any colour except red. green or white)