Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 04:22 AM   #1

What if the new FF camera is mirrorless?

If the alleged pentax ff camera will use the new 42mp bsi sensor from sony with the sensor based phase detect AF, would the transition to mirrorless be easier. Here are the advantages if pentax decides to go mirrorless:

1. Best platform for legacy lenses. If it supports aperture and shutter priority for at least the pentax-a mount.
2. Best platform for 3rd party lenses. Mirrorless camera with access to sigma and tamron lenses. Best platform for samyang and zeiss zk mount, even the zeiss otus and milvus lenses if zeiss decides to manufacture it in k-mount (focus peaking/ stabilized). Manual focusing with the lens aperture wide open like most mirrorless cameras, unlike what we have today in liveview.
3. mirrorless camera with the best ergonomics. Shouldnt be hard for pentax to beat sony in this regard.
4. Mirrorless camera with access to film photography. Film is not yet dead, and i cant afford leica.
4. Better video for Pentax, i hope.

09-19-2015, 04:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No , it will not.
09-19-2015, 04:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

its not going to be mirrorless
09-19-2015, 04:38 AM   #4

But what about mirrorless MF camera?

09-19-2015, 04:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
They did it before with the k-01. But the technology to make it compelling was not available then. EVFs and sensor based phase detect AF have much improved.
09-19-2015, 05:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's not goimg to happen. Let it go.
09-19-2015, 05:35 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AtitG Quote
4. Mirrorless camera with access to film photography. Film is not yet dead, and i cant afford leica.
What does the first item number four mean? I have zero ideas how mirrorless and film dovetail.

The second item four is the only one posted that made sense to me. The others are all possible with liveview. The main reason for mirrorless is a shorter registration distance. Which allows a smaller system overall and makes adapting legacy lenses easy.

09-19-2015, 06:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree with 1,2,3, but not with 4 and 4. And as others, I really doubt Pentax will make any more mirrorless, other than Q. I would love a K-02, K-mount mirrorless, but I am really skeptical.
And yeah, the problem with digital and film is that we cannot take out the digital sensor and put in film. The mirror is not the problem. The digital sensor just stays there in place. The film needs a hole, and a system that moves the film correctly after each exposure.
09-19-2015, 06:14 AM   #9

Original Poster
What i meant was, lens that you could actually use for film cameras. So far leica is the only company that offers mirrorless digital camera that can be used for film cameras. If you're a mirrorless shooter, you need a new set of lenses to shoot film, unless youre using leica. Shorter registration distance is not the only reason to go mirrorless, with ff you need big lenses anyway. There's little weight to be saved with those 70-200mm f/2.8. While liveview can do most things an evf can do, evf beats it in ergonomics. Liveview and farsighted people dont mix well
09-19-2015, 06:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm in the minority of wishing they would, I use Sony now for exactly this reason. Old Pentax glass + EVF is just so much fun, Id love to come back to Pentax build quality and ergonomics
09-19-2015, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

It won't be.
09-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AtitG Quote
If the alleged pentax ff camera will use the new 42mp bsi sensor from sony with the sensor based phase detect AF, would the transition to mirrorless be easier. Here are the advantages if pentax decides to go mirrorless:

1. Best platform for legacy lenses. If it supports aperture and shutter priority for at least the pentax-a mount.
2. Best platform for 3rd party lenses. Mirrorless camera with access to sigma and tamron lenses. Best platform for samyang and zeiss zk mount, even the zeiss otus and milvus lenses if zeiss decides to manufacture it in k-mount (focus peaking/ stabilized). Manual focusing with the lens aperture wide open like most mirrorless cameras, unlike what we have today in liveview.
3. mirrorless camera with the best ergonomics. Shouldnt be hard for pentax to beat sony in this regard.
I am not sure if the upcoming release could be made to be a mirrorless but having a full frame mirrorless that takes current Pentax k-mount would be a treat. A serious mirrorless Pentax would slow down or stop the exodus to Sony or other mirrorless brands.
09-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
It won't be.
i have to stop daydreaming then. Thanks.
09-19-2015, 07:46 AM   #14
Pentaxian

And if it was, I wouldn't buy it.
09-19-2015, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

It could include some mirrorless tech - remember we were talking a while ago about their hybrid EVF/OVF viewfinder patent, which has some EVF tech living within the optical viewfinder.