Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The new Pentax mirrorless will be a (very) large format. This super secret spy photo shows Ricoh engineers (disguised as hipsters) hard at work on the prototype. This is where all this size-obsession leads to. Don't blame me when you get this:

09-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
It won't be.
well this, and one one advantage of mirrorless would be you could fit everything into a smaller body - ala Sony. Any visible evidence so far points to a larger body to accommodate the mirror and associated pentaprism. Making a mirrorless that is physically substantially larger than the competition would be a mistake.
09-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bryce K Quote
well this, and one one advantage of mirrorless would be you could fit everything into a smaller body - ala Sony. Any visible evidence so far points to a larger body to accommodate the mirror and associated pentaprism. Making a mirrorless that is physically substantially larger than the competition would be a mistake.
I agree that the upcomming FF will not be mirrorless but I hope that they would make one. The size of K5 is already big and straining for those with small hands. For those who are already comfortable with the size of say ks2 I think mirrorless is the way to go to fit a FF sensor to such a compact dslr otherwise it will be thicker
09-19-2015, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

This "what if the Pentax FF K-mount DSLR officially announced as such is actually a mirrorless" reminds me of a certain movie:
Please stop. It is a DSLR. Yes, that's a fact. Nope, it cannot be changed - definitely not by posts on Pentax Forums.

09-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only way that could play out is if they made a thin body and included a fully-aware K-mount adapter with a motorized aperture lever. The SR alone will make it fairly thick and I don't see SR being sacrificed the way Sony did with their small bodies, though perhaps they could put that in the adapter too?

I'd like to see it but R.Pentax has too many other items to spend on first, so holding my breath would be counterproductive..
09-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's not goimg to happen. Let it go.
What if it was aps-h?

09-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AtitG Quote
i have to stop daydreaming then. Thanks.
Not necessarily. According to the sales stats, DSLR sales are down and mirrorless is up, way up. There is no way, Pentax is not watching. So what they will come up for a solution, I am not sure but I am sure they are watching this closely. They better. You cannot ignore what people want an are buying.

I wish they had not given up on the K-01and followed it up. If they did, they would be the one who everyone else is chasing. Again, it is not too late. They are know for coming up with surprises every now and then.

09-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Not necessarily. According to the sales stats, DSLR sales are down and mirrorless is up, way up.
According to which sales stats?
09-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
According to which sales stats?
@Kunzite, I have been seeing them on various photo sites. The most recent one is on sonyalpharumors.com (sonyalpharumors). It show a bar graph of DSLR and mirrorless sales growth for the last three years. The stats are from Sony... and of course they are leading the charge. There were more in-depth graphs but I do not remember where I saw them.
09-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #25
Pentaxian

And don't you think they might be a bit... biased? You know, carefully selecting the sources and presenting the data/crafting some conclusions?
Let's forget about stats and look at the real data i.e. shipments to Americas, January to July 2015: compared to the same period one year ago, both DSLRs and MILCs had a slight growth.
And what Sony would never tell you, is that the DSLR:MILC ratio is - again, in Americas - of about 5.4:1.
http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201507_e.pdf
09-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #26

Original Poster
I think they quoted figures from NPD group retail tracking service. Its a recent article in imaging resource.
09-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Yes, they did - because NPD provided convenient figures. But you know the saying, "there a lies, damned lies and statistics"...

As I said, Sony "forgot" to mention the MILC sales are in fact very low in the Americas, compared to DSLRs. Much more so than the world-wide ratio. That's a lie by omission, they only show the "improvement" because it looks nice for them.

Something else, that 42% growth was mostly done at the expense of other MILC makers - judging within the data provided. One should never assume that Ricoh would instantly steal the top spot and jump to 42% growth and MILC market share leadership - on the contrary, as new entrants they'll be in the worst possible position.

Another critical aspect is sampling. In this case, we're not actually talking about a statistical sampling, but which stores are covered by NPD and which ones are not. We can only hope enough of them are covered, and of a random distribution - but that's not good enough. We have to know.
As you can see, there's a discrepancy between the reported sales figures and the official, CIPA-provided shipments. For me, that makes the reported sales figures suspect.
10-16-2015, 03:31 AM   #28
Veteran Member

If it would be, than it would not be a real mirrorless, instead it would have some "new" mirror technology like an A99, this would be the only option that comes to mind, when one looks at the photos at: www.pentax.com
10-16-2015, 03:39 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I only see a DSLR teaser on www.pentax.com... is there anything else?
10-16-2015, 03:43 AM   #30
Veteran Member

What if the Pentax digital FF camera would actually ever exist?