Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Huge.

09-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by odyseuss Quote
A guy from China's major photography forum xitek posted a couple interesting pieces of information
about Pentax's FF DSLR. I'd say people have guessed most of them already, but, anyway, here they are

1) Reason of the recent delay:
It's no news that Pentax has only two sensor options from SONY: either the 36MP or the 42MP FF CMOS
sensor. The guy said that the 36MP FF DSLR was pretty much ready to be rolled out at the end of this summer.
But just about the same time, Pentax sent out an internal memo, saying that SONY finally agreed to supply
the 42MP sensor. For this reason, Pentax made a change to the DSLR design and started testing the new 42MP
sensor. Their primary concern, as everyone probably knows, is the power consumption. Now in the recently
released teaser, the exact release date is not mentioned. Pentax could still release the 36MP version, if the date
is in early spring. If it is in late spring, then the new DSLR is likely to be the 42MP version.

2) In-body shake reduction:
The new FF DSLR will have in-body shake reduction. Because FF sensor has a larger inertia (relative to APS-C
sensor), Pentax is working hard to bump up shake reduction's performance. Their target is K3-II's 4.5 stops.
But could be 3 or 4 stops at the end.

3) New lenses:
Pentax's goal of 5 new FF lenses is still on schedule.
I guess Pentax will always be at the mercy of Sony for what is at the heart of a digital camera.

If the recent news about Samsung closing their camera division is true, Ricoh/Pentax should strike a deal with Samsung and buy their SLR sensor making division. This way they are not at the mercy of Sony. Their 28MP APSc equipped camera got some favorable PR.

Didn't Samsung make sensors for Pentax cameras at some point?

Leica is coming out with autofocus camera and lenses! Sony has teamed up with Zeiss to eat everyone else's lunch. Gloves are off folks. Some noses are going to get bloodied. I hope Pentax is going to put up a fight. There is too much heritage there to let it die.

Just a thought.
09-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #18
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool!
09-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jeepers! 42mb sensor. It will take me three days to off load the image files from one vacation from cards to computer. I'll probably have to purchase an additional external hard drive, with at least 5TB.

09-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Leica is coming out with autofocus camera and lenses! Sony has teamed up with Zeiss to eat everyone else's lunch.
Whatever....
09-24-2015, 01:19 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Didn't Samsung make sensors for Pentax cameras at some point?
If I remember correctly, K-7's sensor is made by Samsung.
09-24-2015, 06:06 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote

If the recent news about Samsung closing their camera division is true, Ricoh/Pentax should strike a deal with Samsung and buy their SLR sensor making division. This way they are not at the mercy of Sony. Their 28MP APSc equipped camera got some favorable PR.

... and not only the sensor technology division! It could be a solution to the video problems too!

09-24-2015, 06:28 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i'm going out on a limb here, but the one thing we can be certain of is that it will have a K mount...
09-24-2015, 06:51 AM - 6 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I heard that it was actually going to be an APS-H camera, but when they actually studied it, they only found one Pentaxian who was interested in purchasing it and so they decided to go back to the drawing board.
09-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I heard that it was actually going to be an APS-H camera, but when they actually studied it, they only found one Pentaxian who was interested in purchasing it and so they decided to go back to the drawing board.
LOL
09-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aksel Quote
... and not only the sensor technology division! It could be a solution to the video problems too!
Good point. I forgot the video aspect.
09-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #27
Pentaxian

The one thing we do know is that the mirrorless forum deals with two cameras that are (and have for some time been) physically in the hands of customers, for better or worse, and sixty one thousand-odd posts. Meanwhile, the FF forum has thirty-two thousand posts for ONE camera which has probably only been handled by a very closely vetted and extremely trusted, fanatically loyal and closed-lipped cadre of beta testers, who are probably trailed every minute of every day by Pentax Ninjas tasked with ensuring the security of the cameras and the closed-mouthed status of the testers. (LOL joke.)

What we also know is that regardless of the release date, it had better be one freaking awesome camera or Ricoh Imaging management may find themselves obliged to commit corporate seppuku (but, we hope, not actual seppuku).
09-24-2015, 12:03 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
who are probably trailed every minute of every day by Pentax Ninjas tasked with ensuring the security of the cameras and the closed-mouthed status of the testers. (LOL joke.)
You think that's a joke? Pentax ninjas have been to my house, and I don't even have any secrets, I just guess right every now and then.

QuoteQuote:
What we also know is that regardless of the release date, it had better be one freaking awesome camera
Can it possibly live up to the expectations? I goes without saying, it's not going to be a 5D Mrk III or a D4x for the cost of a k-3, sooo... a lot of folks are going to be unhappy.
09-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You think that's a joke? Pentax ninjas have been to my house, and I don't even have any secrets, I just guess right every now and then.
They found out where you keep the booze.
09-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ninjas? Hah. They got Forum Pixies.

Anybody who hasn't already boriscleto'ed me notice all I 'talk' about any more is old lenses? I get nothing since the K-3 Christmas post.