Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Interesting (known?) tidbits about Pentax's FF DSLR

A guy from China's major photography forum xitek posted a couple interesting pieces of information
about Pentax's FF DSLR. I'd say people have guessed most of them already, but, anyway, here they are

1) Reason of the recent delay:
It's no news that Pentax has only two sensor options from SONY: either the 36MP or the 42MP FF CMOS
sensor. The guy said that the 36MP FF DSLR was pretty much ready to be rolled out at the end of this summer.
But just about the same time, Pentax sent out an internal memo, saying that SONY finally agreed to supply
the 42MP sensor. For this reason, Pentax made a change to the DSLR design and started testing the new 42MP
sensor. Their primary concern, as everyone probably knows, is the power consumption. Now in the recently
released teaser, the exact release date is not mentioned. Pentax could still release the 36MP version, if the date
is in early spring. If it is in late spring, then the new DSLR is likely to be the 42MP version.

2) In-body shake reduction:
The new FF DSLR will have in-body shake reduction. Because FF sensor has a larger inertia (relative to APS-C
sensor), Pentax is working hard to bump up shake reduction's performance. Their target is K3-II's 4.5 stops.
But could be 3 or 4 stops at the end.

3) New lenses:
Pentax's goal of 5 new FF lenses is still on schedule.

09-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool,
09-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by odyseuss Quote
A guy from China's major photography forum xitek posted a couple interesting pieces of information
about Pentax's FF DSLR. I'd say people have guessed most of them already, but, anyway, here they are

1) Reason of the recent delay:
It's no news that Pentax has only two sensor options from SONY: either the 36MP or the 42MP FF CMOS
sensor. The guy said that the 36MP FF DSLR was pretty much ready to be rolled out at the end of this summer.
But just about the same time, Pentax sent out an internal memo, saying that SONY finally agreed to supply
the 42MP sensor. For this reason, Pentax made a change to the DSLR design and started testing the new 42MP
sensor. Their primary concern, as everyone probably knows, is the power consumption. Now in the recently
released teaser, the exact release date is not mentioned. Pentax could still release the 36MP version, if the date
is in early spring. If it is in late spring, then the new DSLR is likely to be the 42MP version.

2) In-body shake reduction:
The new FF DSLR will have in-body shake reduction. Because FF sensor has a larger inertia (relative to APS-C
sensor), Pentax is working hard to bump up shake reduction's performance. Their target is K3-II's 4.5 stops.
But could be 3 or 4 stops at the end.

3) New lenses:
Pentax's goal of 5 new FF lenses is still on schedule.
I was thinking that would be the most likely reason for the delay... now, if they do come out with the new 42Mp BSI sensor model, I wonder if there is also an imminent release of D810 update from Nikon around the same time if not sooner.
09-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #4

Nice!

09-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Actually, if this rumor is true, I think they would have been better to deliver a 36MP right now and an updated version in 2016 with the 42MP.
09-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
And the mysterie of october 6th and what that was about wil remain a Secret for ever...........

Late spring is right about the time that Photokina is.
09-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Actually, if this rumor is true, I think they would have been better to deliver a 36MP right now and an updated version in 2016 with the 42MP.
No kidding, then we'd have the choice of relatively cheap 36 MP cameras when they started dumping them to come out with the 42. Not to mention, that the BSI sensor in the Sony has issues of colour bleeding across pixels, and in some of the samples I've seen doesn't look anywhere near as sharp s my K-3.

09-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
And the mysterie of october 6th and what that was about wil remain a Secret for ever...........
For some, not for all
09-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
For some, not for all
Well i'm not buying the non-sentences you are spreading.

I should have put this different, because ofcourse you can say what ever you want. I just see these things as hollow phrases.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 09-23-2015 at 01:07 PM.
09-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

When developing and marketing advanced technology, it's always better to release the more expensive offering first. The early adopters generally will buy whichever offering comes out first but they are also the ones most likely to buy the more expensive model. Therefore, you need the more expensive one first otherwise they might not buy that one at all if they already bought the less expensive one.
09-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well i'm not buying the non-sentences you are spreading. If you have nothing to say, just keep it that way.
you haven't said much of value lately except to tell us what you've sold.
09-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I never say anything of value, so at least he's ahead of me.
09-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
you haven't said much of value lately except to tell us what you've sold.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I never say anything of value, so at least he's ahead of me.
I put my words differently.
09-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I put my words differently.
actually that wasn't a fair comment. I imagine the list of members who seem anything I might say of no value and simply prospectively ignore all my comments is

Huge.
09-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I think they would have been better to deliver a 36MP right now and an updated version in 2016 with the 42MP.
I'd like that. The 36MP one would probably be cheaper, and also a bit better performer in terms of fps etc.

I would also worry about the 42MP device being a rush integration job, with all that implies for possible bugs. At least with the 36MP sensor, Pentax had plenty of time to work with it (several years, it seems) - to understand it, tune it, get rid of the bugs etc.