Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

3 amigos on FF

If they include the ability to shoot apc size (it makes sense they do this) then you have a range of 31-115 not including any further cropping you may want to do in post. Pretty cool.

My main question is I see tons of purple fringing / green fringing on my FA 77 when I shoot digital, but none at all on film (which right now is 90% of my pics). Wonder if they will fix it in camera for us?

---------- Post added 10-05-15 at 01:10 PM ----------

and if they do pixel shifting that would be > 31 on the wide end :-)

10-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well.. thats part of the problem of shooting film lenses on digital cameras. I dont think that they will do some sorft of digital chromatic aberrationg correction on camera, but it can be done in post processing. They announced that they will release new FF prime lenses soon, and those are going to be the ones that have the coating to avoid the fringing and to perform exacly how it is supposed to be.

The 3 amigos are great lenses, but, not at the top level for digital high performance FF, at least not anymore.
10-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote

The 3 amigos are great lenses, but, not at the top level for digital high performance FF, at least not anymore.
Hope you have your flame suite ready

In my experience with using the 3 amigos on APS-C sensors on and off for 5 years now, they are high performance lenses and should perform very nicely on the upcoming FF camera, IF you are mindful of your background and high contrast transition areas where purple fringing can be an issue. In my experience, it rarely causes issues that aren't easily remedied by post processing. BUT, yes, sometimes that PF can be severe enough that extensive post processing is required or a shot is ruined (haven't experienced that with the 31 or 43, but I have with the 77).
10-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote

In my experience with using the 3 amigos on APS-C sensors on and off for 5 years now, they are high performance lenses and should perform very nicely on the upcoming FF camera, IF you are mindful of your background and high contrast transition areas where purple fringing can be an issue. In my experience, it rarely causes issues that aren't easily remedied by post processing. BUT, yes, sometimes that PF can be severe enough that extensive post processing is required or a shot is ruined (haven't experienced that with the 31 or 43, but I have with the 77).
I don't have the 3 Amigos, but, on rare occasion I've had purple fringing on almost every lens, even well corrected ones like the DA*60-250 and Sigma 70 macro. So, while I get what you're saying, it can be said for almost any lens out there. Compared to my F 70-210, which is a 13 element lens and the most heavily corrected consumer grade film lens I own, the amigos are a dream. The F 70-210 can purple fringe on almost any backlit image.

10-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess kooks will be in the market for some new primes then :-)

I personally look forward to being able to use one set of lenses for film and digital in the way they were intended. After about 18 months as I will never be able to afford a new one because I am spending my money on lenses.

I am using them on an MX and in love with how they were intended.

Last edited by Jamey777; 10-05-2015 at 11:32 AM.
10-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't have the 3 Amigos, but, on rare occasion I've had purple fringing on almost every lens, even well corrected ones like the DA*60-250 and Sigma 70 macro. So, while I get what you're saying, it can be said for almost any lens out there. Compared to my F 70-210, which is a 13 element lens and the most heavily corrected consumer grade film lens I own, the amigos are a dream. The F 70-210 can purple fringe on almost any backlit image.

It's a matter of degree, and of correct-a-bility (PF vs CA).

These days software makes even purple fringing correctable, so it's less of an issue than it was even a few years ago.

For the record the reason I hated the A*600mm was the vast, vast PF with bright backgrounds.
10-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
haahha.. well im not saying that the lenses are bad.. they are actually AWSOME lenses.. but we cant deny that new technology is out, and this lenses can be improve in future releases so they can match the lastest digital quality.

10-05-2015, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
haahha.. well im not saying that the lenses are bad.. they are actually AWSOME lenses.. but we cant deny that new technology is out, and this lenses can be improve in future releases so they can match the lastest digital quality.
Depends what you're looking for.

If you're looking for compact, they're among the best in class.
If you're looking for great bokeh, they probably are the best in class.
If you're looking for sharpness, they're pretty good.
If you're looking to take pictures of test charts, they're mediocre.
10-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When did Pentax 'announce' new versions of the Three Princesses are on the way?
10-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OK, I was probably too general in my statement...I once had PF from a DA 70mm that was pretty shocking. So, yes depending on conditions, any lens can exhibit PF. Also, maybe I shouldn't have lumped all 3 of the FA LTDs together, because the 77mm is the only one that has given me issues. But I think that in general, older lenses tend to exhibit this in a lot more situations than modern lenses which have been designed with digital sensors in mind.

This isn't to knock older lenses, it is just one of the compromises a buyer should be aware of when in the market for a particular lens.
10-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just for context, my DA* 200 exhibits purple fringing but my FA* 80-200 does not ( both @ 200mm f2.8)
10-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting. While I am saving for a used FF a year or more from now I will continue to enjoy them at full frame and crop size with what I have.
10-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
When did Pentax 'announce' new versions of the Three Princesses are on the way?
Never. But some around here think they are still in production...
10-05-2015, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

The 3 limiteds work well on FF.
Been using them on FF now for close to 2 years.

My FA77ltd don't display any PF beyond what would happen on any other fast lens in very high contrast situations.
Perhaps your focus is slightly off and that does accentuate it.

That said, CA correction in LR is generally pretty good nowadays.
I thought we already have in-camera distortion and CA correction on our Pentax Cameras? So I'm sure they will have that feature too in the FF since the FA limiteds are still considered current lenses.
10-05-2015, 04:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Perhaps your focus is slightly off and that does accentuate it.
World class return of a good serve!