Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
If they include the ability to shoot apc size (it makes sense they do this) then you have a range of 31-115 not including any further cropping you may want to do in post. Pretty cool.

My main question is I see tons of purple fringing / green fringing on my FA 77 when I shoot digital, but none at all on film (which right now is 90% of my pics). Wonder if they will fix it in camera for us?

---------- Post added 10-05-15 at 01:10 PM ----------

and if they do pixel shifting that would be > 31 on the wide end :-)
I do have the tree amigos. The purple CA issue is the only problem I have with them. Lucky the fringing is an easy fix in Lightroom, Photoshop or my Affinity Photo programs. The only problem I have been pondering is CA correction in video footage. I do not know if there is an easy fix or not. From What I have seen and as @normhead said, purple fringing of some degree or other exists in most lenses. Only the most expensive Otus lenses have less of it but I do not think there is a lens out there that has no purple or some other color fringing.

10-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
When did Pentax 'announce' new versions of the Three Princesses are on the way?
They never said new versions of this 3 lenses are on the way.. they said something about that new primes are coming but that is after the zooms. Maybe, there is a chance that they will release 2nd versions of this 3 primes, but who knows.
10-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Never. But some around here think they are still in production...
You really want to start this up again? They are still in the catalog. They are still available new. Pentax doesn't have an assembly line constantly running out lenses. Its possible that at some point they will convert to the HD or Aerobright coatings or maybe not. They already have the ghostless coating. The FA 50/1.4 and FA 35/2 are still stocked as well.
10-06-2015, 03:51 AM - 2 Likes   #19
zan

The limited lenses with SMC coating make different colours than the HD versions. Maybe it is quite risky to change the coating at the FA limiteds, especially at FA77.

10-06-2015, 05:32 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
I dont think that they will do some sorft of digital chromatic aberrationg correction on camera
That's being done already.

They announced that they will release new FF prime lenses soon
I hope they release the FA limiteds with DC, WR and HD Pretty letters with pretty effects.
10-06-2015, 06:06 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Selfishly, I do hope they kill the scared cows.
So that they attain godhood.

Regardless, I think its premature to delve too much into the 'what it could have beens' for the lenses.
I'm sure the optical engineers are no fools and certainly know of the pros/cons of doing the various possibilities of new coatings, AF, etc.
All this of course under the real world constraints of budget and time.

So just use the lenses if one already have them, and no harm getting them if one does not have them and like the look that it gives (as well as the small size/portability and build)
Any new lens is not going to instantly turn any old ones into instant junk.
10-06-2015, 07:05 AM   #22
Pentaxian

If there's any weird stuff going to happen with film lenses on the full-frame, my supposition/hope will be that the disk that ships with the camera will have tools to specifically deal with it. Until it comes out and the lenses are mounted and turning out results, I'm not going to sweat it. Remember, it's not just the sensor - it's the interpretation algorithms behind it.

10-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Originally posted by kooks
I dont think that they will do some sorft of digital chromatic aberrationg correction on camera
That's being done already.
Really?? i havent found it.. where is the setup for that?
10-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Oh, I can fix this, or I can fix that in post, no big deal. Purple fringing, low contrast, or whatever, no problem, just fix it in post.

Sorry folks, there's no free lunch here. Virtually anything you do in post degrades the image slightly.

My mission has always been to capture the image in as pristine a form as I can. I'm all about printing LARGE, and can tell the difference between a print that's been heavily manipulated in post, and one that's only had slight sharpening.

If your main use for your photos is the Internet, then go ahead and do as much post as you like as most folks won't notice the difference on a small jpg image anyway. But if you're after optimum quality large prints, then it's often best to minimize post processing.
10-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #25
Pentaxian

In that case it comes down to filters, doesn't it?
10-06-2015, 08:46 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zan Quote
The limited lenses with SMC coating make different colours than the HD versions. Maybe it is quite risky to change the coating at the FA limiteds, especially at FA77.
This is a concern that some have mentioned.
10-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Really?? i havent found it.. where is the setup for that?
Lens correction in-camera will take care of CA, vignetting, and distortion. Ir slows down the process of course.
10-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Lens correction in-camera will take care of CA, vignetting, and distortion. Ir slows down the process of course.
Ohh.. but that is in case of using JPGs.. or that can be apply to the RAWs too?? i dont really use JPGs and haveint see the lens correction option avaiable when shooting RAW..
10-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #29
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Oh, I can fix this, or I can fix that in post, no big deal. Purple fringing, low contrast, or whatever, no problem, just fix it in post.

Sorry folks, there's no free lunch here. Virtually anything you do in post degrades the image slightly.
all types of lens correction will degrade the image quality, including in-camera lens correction... here is how much it matters:

LensRentals.com - You CAN Correct It In Post, but . . .

post is superior because you can control the amount of correction.
10-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have asserted right along the FA Limiteds will remain unchanged until the existing stock runs out.

And maybe longer.