Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Probably better to use a lower iso and an external flash if you really want decent output.
I fully agree with that. Sometimes I'm disappointed by the lack of photo technique on PF, then I learn from other resources that are sharing photography techniques independent from the brand. Sometimes, PF is just the wrong place to get objective help.

11-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I fully agree with that. Sometimes I'm disappointed by the lack of photo technique on PF, then I learn from other resources that are sharing photography techniques independent from the brand. Sometimes, PF is just the wrong place to get objective help.
I'am sure many people here use flash. I have seen many speaking of the strobist movement too.

Myself I used deported flash for my wedding shoots and it worked quite well even if have lot of things to learn. I'am not a pro, I don't get paid.And tend to do more landscapes than peoples. And for my vacation I prefer to travel light.So I am lazy I don't get a cobra in the bag all the time...

But if I had showed a picture with deported flash people would have explained to me that flash is not always usable, that is not fair to compare with a 10000 iso shoot, even from an FF and so on. I guess it is more acceptable to go forever on what a bigger sensor provide than to speak of lighting gear even if in some cases the second can improve the result much more dramatically.
11-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #153
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
??

Which of us here are encouraging ISO 10000 photos instead of using flash?
11-16-2015, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
I really don't understand why ricoh is wasting any time and money at all on a FF. ... why not work on something like a stellar mirrorless camera that wirelessly tethers with a tab?
The question you ask is legit. But the response is clear.

Pentax survived the odds of Hoya only because of its extremely loyal user base, the Pentaxians. Pentax is small, a "few thousand" are making a significant difference. And what makes a real difference are the Pentax genes, e.g., the fantastic ergonomics and cameras which actually make fun. Not the difference a mirror makes.

You are right that it is too late now for a Pentax FF. Pentax now has to play catch up one way or another.

But there is no shortcut by jumping, e.g., from APSC DSLR to FF/MF mirrorless. In doing so, Pentax would loose what remained as their user base. They already lost much of its user base to competing FF cameras anyway.

It is true that Nikon, e.g., is seeing users migrating over to Sony FE. Just like Pentax has seen users migrate to Nikon F, and now Sony E / FE.

But the answer isn't to abandon your home base. Not for Nikon and not for Pentax. Whenever you want to conquer the world, you first have to secure your home base. Which is the K mount for Pentax.

Or look at Leica and their new SL. Only became feasible after securing the digital M mount.

Many years ago, I wrote that Pentax will move APSC->FF when the rest of the industry moves DSLR->mirrorless. It all makes sense and 2016 will be the year. It will be ok for Pentax to later follow the mirrorless trend when mirrorless is a bit less painful to use.

Last edited by falconeye; 11-16-2015 at 12:21 PM.
11-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #155
Pentaxian

We are loyal because of what you call "Pentax genes"; we want those things. In other words, we are loyal to Pentax because Pentax is loyal to us. Very good point about the shortcut.
In my case, optical viewfinders play a large role, and it's not only about preferences. Not long ago I've tried the shiny new A7RII: what a large, nice viewfinder, tons of information in it, looking just a bit artificial, small lag...wait, something's wrong. In 5 seconds my right eye started hurting. I couldn't resist half a minute looking through that viewfinder. My guess - interference with artificial lightning; but it was that bad.
So mirrorless was literally painful to use
11-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #156
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always owned a V8. My first car was a V8 Ford, and my last car will be a V8 Ford. The only exception I'll make is that I prefer a V8 Landrover for offroad use.
I won't vote for certain parties, no matter what they come up with next.
I won't buy a red car.
And, I only shoot Pentax. I'm probably not the only weirdly loyal Pentax shooter out there - There's your market - however small it is.

And, yes, I've attempted to use a friend's fancy Sony - mirrorless. It sucks.
12-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #157

Pentax releasing a FF makes total sense to me as long as it's a contender with whats out there. If the performance isn't close to a 800 or 810 then it's a fail in my opinion.

With releasing more cameras... I really wish they would partner with Tamron/Sigma and offer some of their lenses in this mount.

I believe Tamron makes at least one Pentax lens now...correct? What irritates me.... is I have two awesome cameras (K20/K3) and I can't show off it's full potential stuck behind out dated glass. Even if I wanted to upgrade.... some of the new lenses are not even offered in their current/newest technology for Pentax.

Maybe Pentax should offer their cameras in a Nikon/Canon mount if they can't negotiate with third party lenses to level the playing field. in 2015/16 I shouldn't have to pay 6 grand to get a decent long lens/zoom. If they announce the specs of the FF and it smells like it will compete...i'll pull the trigger on the 150-450 and 1.4.

Making the FF is step one.... supporting it with quality glass is another. my 2 cents

Last edited by kentster; 12-04-2015 at 01:52 PM.
12-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
I believe Tamron makes at lease one Pentax lensed now...correct?
Two. The DA 18-270 and D FA 24-70.