Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2015, 12:00 PM - 14 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FF is Better than Crop, to include Weather Resistance O.O

I know, I know, don't get into it over Facebook. What was supposed to be a rather innocuous comment of "boo hoo, more crop system hating <sniff>", I ended up being pretty taken aback by her provided reasoning.

Name:  Untitled4655.jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  153.0 KB

(I admit I may have been a bit snarky towards the end).

So hurry up Ricoh - I have pictures to take outdoors, so stop delaying the FF so I can be able to do that

-Heie

10-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote

-Heie
Nah, you were awesome!
10-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
npc
Veteran Member

Ah, good luck trying to educate the internet
10-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

hm, wonder how she liked the taste of that.......

any response from her after that? or just silence?

10-09-2015, 01:10 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know why you bothered.

She thinks "if he has a camera I like, I can trust him." We should introduce her to the swarms of tourists with really fancy cameras...hood on backwards, locked in fullauto mode...she would hire one of those FFers over you because of the gear. Oops.

When hiring a photographer, there is really only two questions to ask:
1) "Can I see your portolio?"
2) "Can you tell me about your experience?"

Bonus question: "What is your photography philosophy?"
10-09-2015, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I've shot my film camera in the rain. I just protect it until I'm ready to shoot and wipe it off when I'm done. No camera will do well in the rain if water gets on the front element and blurs your shot. And that is your bigger problem not whether the camera has weather sealing or not IMHO and experience.
10-09-2015, 03:12 PM - 2 Likes   #7
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just because someone is a "Professional" doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. It just means that someone who knows less is willing to pay them.

DAZ

10-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Similar to the 'back-handed' compliments I occasionally (very occasionally) receive from well meaning friends and relatives. "That's a nice photo. You must have a good camera"
10-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Similar to the 'back-handed' compliments I occasionally (very occasionally) receive from well meaning friends and relatives. "That's a nice photo. You must have a good camera"

Yeah, I've gotten that before too. I take it as a compliment of good taste and a chance to promote my Pentax. Why not, right?
10-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Yeah, I've gotten that before too. I take it as a compliment of good taste and a chance to promote my Pentax. Why not, right?
I've gotten this comment too on facebook more than once by friends and relatives.. I've inquired further one of these times (always dangerous) and discovered they seem to think the camera does the work. Basically they seem to completely dismiss me as a photographer and look at it as 'I could do that if I had your camera too."

I'm sure they could actually, with years of practice. But this is similar to seeing a musician performing on stage and saying "If I had that instrument I could play like them."

It is rather insulting.. but on facebook especially.. I've learned to take my battles wisely. When the weather and my health align I'm planning on taking an old P+S out to disprove them. Not that I have to prove to anyone.. but I think these particular people will understand and listen. Some people it is like talking to a brick wall. Again.. chose your battles wisely.

Heie, I can understand the frustration.. but, to me, you came off a bit combative... esp after you said you weren't even busy so you couldn't take the job anyways. I think that lady didn't really mean the crop camera couldn't take the physical rain.. but that it is typically darker out when raining and she wasn't confident on the high ISO capabilities of a crop camera.

It is her loss either way.... but I don't think she meant what you think she meant.
10-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think she removed the post.
10-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Why even bother. I'm sure if someone suggested a 645D/Z, the photographer would have come up with some other excuse. Too large and intimidating, too slow of a burst rate .... and too many letters on the prism housing ....

No sense trying to make rational argument to someone who is not open to the debate. Even if she were open to the discussion, she's under the emotional stress of the pending event, and already "knows" exactly what she wants. It's not like she can't find yet another wedding photographer with a 5DM2 out there.

Last edited by Tanzer; 10-09-2015 at 04:21 PM.
10-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This makes me smile :-)
10-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No matter what happened to her post, or whatever ... great thanks for a ROTFL !!
OK, now that my belly stopped hurting after the laugh , I'll have supper !
Cheers!
10-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote

-Heie
In her mind, ignorance is bliss.