Ok, guys and ladies:

The two news (36MP and release delay for an update) are confirmed,
The 10 fps are NOT confirmed!

:-)

12-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The Nikon D4 can fire at 10FPS, but has a sensor that is half the resolution of the 36mp sensor proposed for the K-1 so PRIME IV will need to have nearly four times the I/O capability of PRIME III. Also the D4 has the Multi-CAM3500FX AF module, the most advanced AF module to date from pentax is the SAFOX XI AF module which I seriously doubt could ever challenge the Nikon AF system*.

Having the ability to shoot at full resolution at 10FPS is of no use if only two frames are in focus.

*though digging through pentax patents reveals there is a possibility of improvement over current low light focusing capability and giving AF coverage over a wider field....now I have rice stuck in my teeth.
If this is milbeaut then you can expect a ratio of 1,5x faster!
12-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #93
Pentaxian

10fps in crop mode and electronic shutter (blacked out vf).
12-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
What would be the point to such an approach, given that one could neither follow action, nor have the camera adjust focus, unless there is main sensor PDAF?

12-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #95

0fps in crop mode and electronic shutter (blacked out vf).
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What would be the point to such an approach, given that one could neither follow action, nor have the camera adjust focus, unless there is main sensor PDAF?
People, FORGET about the 10 fps
12-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Absolutely. Everything is [and needs to be] connected: AF system ability, metering accuracy, mirror dampening mechanism, lens motor speed, CPU speed, buffer RAM depth and bandwidth, SD card write speed, body stabilization system efficiency etc - if you want great image results when you push uber high fps on a conventional DSLR, especially at big MP.

Even the latest-and-greatest A7RII can only push 5 fps in a limited way while doing AF-C, and that lacks a mirror too.

So if Pentax can achieve 10 fps at full 36MP resolution with decent AF results in the K-1, it will certainly be a very impressive engineering feat.
the A7RII is in many ways limited by its own form factor, which is one of the reasons why I don't like the SONY 35mm mirror less system. Because of their small form factor demanded by the user base creates difficulty with improving the buffer speed*, and processing power*, battery life is a real weakness while keeping the system small.

*and the associated electronics with such things also takes up space inside the camera too.

---------- Post added 12-14-15 at 11:20 AM ----------

Or the mirror simply stays in place and electronically varies its transmission, that would be a way of eliminating mirror slap and vibrations while keeping the capture rate high. We all know pentax has a patent for such a device.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-13-2015 at 05:54 PM.
12-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Azergoth Quote
The two news (36MP and release delay for an update) are confirmed,
?? Pls no additional release delays. Isn't 10 years enough of a delay already.

Anyway, I thought it was clear from asahi man + the teaser site itself: factory already assembling cameras + Spring Debut. Delays are history. Pedal to the metal.

Maybe your source was speaking in the past tense, describing why we currently have the 2016 Spring Debut, rather than the initially promised 'end of 2015' launch.
12-13-2015, 07:33 PM - 3 Likes   #98
bxf
Site Supporter

People, FORGET about the 10 fps
You haven't been here at PF long, have you?

12-14-2015, 01:07 AM - 2 Likes   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
You haven't been here at PF long, have you?
Exactly. It cannot be undone. Any camera doing less than 10fps will mostly disappoint.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Or the mirror simply stays in place and electronically varies its transmission, that would be a way of eliminating mirror slap and vibrations while keeping the capture rate high. We all know pentax has a patent for such a device.
Even with a fast "mirror" the camera would still have to have insane electronics in order to deal with the bandwidth of 10 36MP frames per second. I don't see that happening.

I thought about the possibility of a non-moving "mirror" as well but never mentioned it because any talk of advanced technology will inevitably create an alternate reality against which even the most impressive release will look like a let down.

Last edited by Class A; 12-14-2015 at 01:15 AM.
12-14-2015, 01:44 AM   #100
Pentaxian

I thought about the possibility of a non-moving "mirror" as well but never mentioned it because any talk of advanced technology will inevitably create an alternate reality against which even the most impressive release will look like a let down
Interesting theory.

the camera would still have to have insane electronics in order to deal with the bandwidth of 10 36MP frames per second. I don't see that happening.
Neither do I.
12-14-2015, 03:29 AM   #101

Maybe the most important news (besides the 36MP) is the REASON why they delayed it:

The competition from other brands like Canon, Nikon and Sony! So they PLANNED a full frame that would have flopped compared to them (or at the price).
The manufacturing process had to be stopped! (By they way! This is certainly very costly! Will we pay for that? )

So will we have a "slightly upgraded already outdated model"? :/
Will they release a "low cost" version? The original model? That would be funny!

In a more general way: what is the future of Pentax?
12-14-2015, 03:55 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Exactly. It cannot be undone. Any camera doing less than 10fps will mostly disappoint.

Even with a fast "mirror" the camera would still have to have insane electronics in order to deal with the bandwidth of 10 36MP frames per second. I don't see that happening.

I thought about the possibility of a non-moving "mirror" as well but never mentioned it because any talk of advanced technology will inevitably create an alternate reality against which even the most impressive release will look like a let down.
To solve the bandwidth problem, they could use a flux-capacitor in the camera so it just goes back in time 1/10s for each shot. Then it can manage to capture 10 shots per second in reverse order using 5 FPS (or lower frame rate).
But the battery in the camera probably have to be replaced by a Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor.

But it might take some time to get used to a camera like this. You really have to think ahead when shooting.

It can also be a great feature to use if you FI missed focus on a once in a lifetime shot.

---------- Post added 14-12-15 at 11:55 ----------

In a more general way: what is the future of Pentax?
Back to the future might be the way for Pentax.
12-14-2015, 05:16 AM   #103
bxf
Site Supporter

Maybe the most important news (besides the 36MP) is the REASON why they delayed it: The competition from other brands like Canon, Nikon and Sony! So they PLANNED a full frame that would have flopped compared to them (or at the price).
This is somewhat disturbing, and at the same time begs the question: for any given level of sensor technology and price point, how much better can a manufacturer make a product? There is only so much that can be done with a camera; you can't make them fly, nor prepare your dinner.

I suppose one can make a product more attractive by selling it at a lower price, but profitability must be maintained, so there is a limit. Perhaps it mostly comes down to intelligent design (ergonomics, not the other kind) that will be attractive to some and be a factor in the choice they make. If not for some exceptional feature, Pentax will have to rely on its existing user base, and that is not enough for achieving significant growth.
12-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #104
Pentaxian

I hope they didn't design the FF with good old prime III in mind. The A7 RII is a game changer, but they can hardly respond to that other than delivering a camera that stresses specific dslr advantages. Maybe they now something about the forthcoming nikon D8xx or a Canon 5D Mk IV. I am still not thrilled about the dial mania on the K-1 so that better be functional and not just for the sake of having dials.
12-14-2015, 06:29 AM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
This is somewhat disturbing, and at the same time begs the question: for any given level of sensor technology and price point, how much better can a manufacturer make a product? There is only so much that can be done with a camera; you can't make them fly, nor prepare your dinner.

I suppose one can make a product more attractive by selling it at a lower price, but profitability must be maintained, so there is a limit. Perhaps it mostly comes down to intelligent design (ergonomics, not the other kind) that will be attractive to some and be a factor in the choice they make. If not for some exceptional feature, Pentax will have to rely on its existing user base, and that is not enough for achieving significant growth.
I dont know?
  • D810 ergonomics
  • Canon EOS mount (for lenses)
  • Sony A7R II sensor
  • Pentax Sensor stabilisation for Pixel shift, tilt shift emulation, Astrotracer, ...
  • Canon 7D ii focusing system (coverage)
  • Fuji Hybrid electronic-optical viewfinder
  • Tilt Touch Screen
  • 4K video
  • Native ISO of 64
  • Integrated ND filter?
  • Infrared capabilities like the D810a 60Da

Let the engineers be creative?