Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #16
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Hoya days USA was the inventory liquidation market. At one point Pentax Europe complained because Europeans could buy cheaper here, all-in, than EU. Shortly thereafter MAP pricing was introduced.

That doesn't necessarily mean K-3 stocks are being liquidated here. The USD has until recently been pretty strong relative to JPY (1:125).

10-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Adam has been diligently notifying us about the rash of US specials, as have some others, here.
Yeah, as a European I keep getting jealous not only over the deals, but also about the general prices of camera equipment in the US. The cheapest you can currently get a new K3 body in Germany is €750, B&H has it for $650. The absolute price is 100(!) below the European price, not even accounting for the fact that Euros are worth more The HD DA 16-85 retails at $530 at B&H, and €600 in Germany. And I didn't even check whether B&H is the cheapest US source ...

I'd love to just buy from the US, but there is shipping, German customs will add 19% import VAT and *boom* ... not worth it any more.
10-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Yeah, as a European I keep getting jealous not only over the deals, but also about the general prices of camera equipment in the US. The cheapest you can currently get a new K3 body in Germany is 750, B&H has it for $650. The absolute price is 100(!) below the European price, not even accounting for the fact that Euros are worth more The HD DA 16-85 retails at $530 at B&H, and 600 in Germany. And I didn't even check whether B&H is the cheapest US source ...

I'd love to just buy from the US, but there is shipping, German customs will add 19% import VAT and *boom* ... not worth it any more.
I keep saying, save up some funds with a list of several things to buy, then take a nice vacation to NYC and make purchases during a good sale.

It looks like the savings would pay for most of the plane ticket, if not all of it. And, there would be lots of photographic opportunities around the city on your mini-vacation. Then when you go home, that camera equipment is used and ... saving$$$.
10-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Easier and cheaper for a European than an Australian or New Zealander, unfortunately, and customs will still look at what you bring back into the EU, so take your old stuff and trade it. Fortunately, our prices here aren't anywhere near as out of line as the European ones. It isn't just Pentax equipment, though, there.

Having said that, a fellow Hobartian K-3 owner just bought a few lenses at B+H in NY on a visit, but he was visiting family (family with benefits - that's a new concept... )

10-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

"Family with benefits - that's a new concept."

Now, now - I lived in Hobart for about 18 months a while back, and I know the jokes they told about even themselves - family with benefits indeed!
10-15-2015, 06:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
K3-IIs? What sort of major upgrade would you be expecting? We've already got internal GPS, pixel shift, no AA filter... Unless they're going over to a higher-MP sensor (unlikely; this would probably warrant a model number change) or have found new tricks to play with the existing one (research spillover from the FF?).
It will take 3D pictures in the future and send you an email with analysis how much the pics are worth on shutterstock.... Probably will have to go to school in order to learn how to use it.

---------- Post added 10-15-15 at 08:13 PM ----------

Now, now - I lived in Hobart for about 18 months a while back, and I know the jokes they told about even themselves - family with benefits indeed!
Nothing to do on an island....

---------- Post added 10-15-15 at 08:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My guess is, while the production line is going, prices stay relatively high, and the sales cover the cost of keeping the line going. Once sales fall below the cost of keeping the line going, they stop and make something else. Then, selling remaining stock which is paid for by the original price structure, is money in the bank, no matter what price they sell it for. So the significance of the price drop could be that the units are no longer in production. By the time K-3s and K-3IIs are gone, or just before they are gone, the next big thing will be released.

Rumours that the extra un-anticipated need for some extra K-3IIs to make up for the small number replaced on warranty led to the delay of FF production, would tend to suggest, it's a really tight production cycle, with very little extra capacity.

But really, I know nothing.
Interesting rumor. My guess is that with all the K3 and K3II's abounding (my very recent K3 purchase from Adorama was manufactured in January 2015, so they have plenty of K3's around, and probably a lot more K3II's), they will debut the FF by itself to not detract from it, giving K-mount lens owners a choice of using APS-C or FF. Then, a few months later, replace the K3II. My opinion is that Ricoh cannot go about pushing FF in an uncoordinated way with the rest of the "ecosystem" or "network" of dealers, repair/support. It is getting into that demanding professional base that is critical for FF to succeed. Glad to see them try!
Just a thought......

P.S., would it be the only manufacturer that allows a lens to be mounted on both sensor type cameras? I can't remember if Canon and Nikon lenses can mount on APS-C and FF??

Last edited by goldenarrow; 10-15-2015 at 06:26 PM.
10-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
P.S., would it be the only manufacturer that allows a lens to be mounted on both sensor type cameras? I can't remember if Canon and Nikon lenses can mount on APS-C and FF??
Are you kidding? Nikon has the FX and DX lenses both can be used on any APS-C and FF cameras, although most would use FX lenses on FF.
10-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote

Nothing to do on an island....
Damn! The secret's out now...

Go and pick on your own minorities.