Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
Pentaxian

My feature request for Pentax FF

I hope that the Pentax engineers include the following FF feature that will be ideal for architectural photographers:
  • 6mm +- rise/fall when using Pentax 645 lenses (needed for larger image circle) + adapter.

Michael

10-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Are you asking for a shift 645 to K-mount adapter? Or for extending the Composition Adjustment movement range (which might be quite difficult, for a total of 12mm vertical range).

The adapter idea seems to be a practical alternative to launching their own T&S lenses, though I'm afraid there isn't enough space to do it (slightly over 25mm difference between the 645 and K-mount registration distances).
Schneider has T&S lenses for K-mount, but they're expensive.

Edit: Well, perhaps the adapter can work - I remember something about Canon working on a T&S adapter for EF lenses to mirrorless.
10-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
not quite: just "extend" the current Pentax SR shift mechanism to be able to cover a +- 6mm shift using any 645 lens (or any lens than could cover 36mmx42mm area). No shift adapter needed. Now a 645 "tilt" adapter for FF would be sweet but that is another request...

M
10-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

OK... it would be too much I'm afraid, way beyond what the current SR can do. And it's 36x48mm, on a 44mm diameter mount.

10-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That is why I mentioned extending their current technology.
Alternatively, if the SR were "turned off" and the entire SR assembly could be "moved" under user control +-6mm then you would have the same effect.

M
10-21-2015, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

tilt-shift adapter for 645 would be cool.
10-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
That is why I mentioned extending their current technology.
Alternatively, if the SR were "turned off" and the entire SR assembly could be "moved" under user control +-6mm then you would have the same effect.

M
There was a discussion about using the SR to cover a medium format image area; even for 44x33mm, my conclusion - "verified" with a ruler and my ME Super - was that it would be too much for a small format camera. 48x36 is even a larger area.
Sorry; it would be a neat thing to do but I don't see how it could physically be done.

Eventually, though, Ricoh Imaging should address this issue - one way or another.
10-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
well, if they want to attract professionals they will need to "think outside the box". I'm convinced they are.

Michael

10-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
well, if they want to attract professionals they will need to "think outside the box". I'm convinced they are.

Michael
But they also must make the camera accessible for a wide range of users, adding hardware features that may increase price a lot and make the camera less attractive to most users is not the best way to go.

Moving the whole SR assembly would mean that lots of other parts connected to that would also have to move. The whole mirror box with OVF/prism would also have to be moving as they are all connected. This would add a lot to the manufacturing cost and would make the camera much larger, and might be difficult to weather seal.

Having the shift in the adapter would be better for most users, as only those that need shift has to pay for it.

Another option would be to design a specialized shift camera, designed like a "view camera" which use FF sensor with 645 mount. As the the whole front of the camera can be moved back/forth K-mount lenses could also be used with an adapter.
10-23-2015, 12:41 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I want:
*) a full frame sensor, front and rear dial, a top display, a very good display, autofocus
*) 3rd party lens manufacturers to jump in!!! (especially Sigma Art lenses)
10-23-2015, 02:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Most photographers say one should start out with 35mm on a new camera... If you really feel the need for Sigma ART--- >
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM (Art) is available already now.

But keep in mind that the plastic sisters, are actually FF lenses:
The 35mm 2.4(the limited is not capable of lighting out the ff circle)
and 50mm 1.8 are also a very good and sharp lenses.

Despite the fact that Tamron and Ricoh may contracted out more when they had their agreement about the 24-70mm 2.8 Pentax lens.
So i'd rather wish for Tamrons SP line.. Because those lenses are Weather Sealed also... ;D
10-24-2015, 06:10 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
But keep in mind that the plastic sisters, are actually FF lenses:
The 35mm 2.4(the limited is not capable of lighting out the ff circle)
and 50mm 1.8 are also a very good and sharp lenses.
Just because these lenses are not totally dark on some ff cameras/sensor, does not mean that they work on a Pentax FF digital camera or that Pentax allows FF use of non designated lenses. We do not know Pentax/Ricoh policy on this issue and we have no clue about the specific sensro design of the FF sensor inside the new Pentax.
10-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

We do know indeed. That was one of the first things the officials admitted about the FF: That it will allow the use of DA lenses on it.

Backwards compatiblity is also THE word when you buy a pentax it is like that forever... Why should they change that politics? ...hm?
They are not only "just not totally dark on some FF cameras/sensors... They just do fine on for instance MZ-S, MZ-5N, Z-1p etc.

Take a look at... i dont know in which kind of magic you believe here that could hinder the lenses to work on FF but flange focal distance is flange focal distance...
and even FF mirrorboxes only change very slightly from one model to another...

It is a wide known fact that the plastic sisters are optical FF design...

pick up an anolog body capable of controlling aperture for about 7 pounds or 11-12 dollars(a Z-70) for instance and try some of your DA lenses.. you'll see...
everything above and inlcuding 35mm works...(except the 35mm 2.4 limited) ... the 560 has noticeable vignetting wide open but once you stop down its very good.

REMEMBER: NONE of the DA ZOOM lenses is know to perform acceptable on FF...
maybe the 60-250 but i am really not sure about this one.

have a look at:
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Compatibility of DA Lenses on Full Frame
or
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/31629-da-lenses-f...ts-thread.html