Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's just a counter-proposal to the idea of making a Nikon or Canon mount Pentax.
Why? Can't we have normal ideas? The kind camera companies could actually follow, you know, without going bankrupt or going to jail?
But it could work. Sigma and Tamron are just sub-contracted lens suppliers in such a deal. Nothing really radical in such arrangements. They could strike similar deals with flash makers, other third-party peripheral makers to boost the Pentax eco-system.
No, it can't. Subcontracting is one thing, e.g. Pentax/Ricoh will make a profit by selling D FA 24 70s; paying the competition and encouraging them to steal sales is something completely different.
And no, I don't think anyone would strike deals like "hey, if you convince people to buy your products instead of mine, I'll pay you money".

10-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I'd say nothing is too weird in the business world, but the window of opportunity for this has largely closed, since Nikon and Canon and Sony A-mount lens owners already have a few options for other bodies. Adapted lenses will never be perfect but the currently-available body options do have some compelling features of their own, and the available 3rd party autofocus adapters keep getting better too. So, Pentax would be fighting over smaller and smaller breadcrumbs.
10-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Heaven knows what Tokina will do.
Is Tokina even in the game anymore? It seems like they've discontinued some of their best and most popular lenses in recent years, and I haven't heard much about them in product announcements.
10-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Can't we have normal ideas?
See:
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I'd say nothing is too weird in the business world
The more Pentax mount lenses out there, the more Pentax body buyers. The more buyers of Pentax gear in general, the greater the sustainability of the brand. As other system businesses have found, it can profit you sometimes to to stimulate and enable competition within your eco-system/architecture.

Anyway, this is all just play talk. Relax. No one wants to see Pentax go out of business.

10-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The opportunity I see is for a third party to develop a fully functional adaptor that does what mikeodial is suggesting. Something about the size of a TC that also had the ability to optically correct for the different sensor distances. No such thing as a bad idea when you're brainstorming ...
10-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

A link to the Pentax Multi-mount seems in order in this thread. And a link to the background article about it on PF.
10-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #22
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A link to the Pentax Multi-mount seems in order in this thread. And a link to the background article about it on PF.
interesting... do all of those adapted lenses reach infinity focus?