Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Some models of Nikon and Canon DSLR's already let you choose different display overlays like grids in the optical viewfinder. Grids are becoming standard.
I saw it and had a vision of being able to select multiple different layouts, that would be revolutionary! But you might be right, it could be like on d810 where you can turn the grid on and off. I just didn't see the need for that on "speed dial" since my experience is that you either like or dislike it and have it enabled or disabled all the time...

---------- Post added 10-25-15 at 09:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It might be the Grid Computing function, and from the unmarked project you can choose the project you wish to participate in.
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
It might be a wireless connection to the power grid for long studio shoots or over night astrophotography.
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
It might be an option to let you get "off the grid", which will remove any and all information and prevent any communication. It will also start collecting logs for the winter, and germinate sprouts for later consumption.
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It might be a device to open a rift in the space-time cotinuum warping the Muckmen from the Saavladorian IV star quandrant into our own. They will be most displeased. We do not want them displeased.
You're all right! you can do it all with that controller!

10-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Re-thinking this, the fact that 'Grid' has dedicated (and scarce) control dial space all of it's own here, which is indeed unique in any digital camera I've seen, makes me think that it may be a more important feature than we assume.

Important for usability, perhaps. Maybe Pentax have done studies that reveal lots of current Pentax users use the grid overlay a lot in LiveView in the K-3 when shooting landscapes, architecture, or astro, so they decided to both enhance that feature in the OVF, and make that feature easier to access in the control system, rather than bury it as a second-tier menu option.

More speculatively, maybe the 'Grid' feature is important in the FF because it helps users take advantage of some other feature(s) of the camera that we don't know about yet?
10-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
More speculatively, maybe the 'Grid' feature is important in the FF because it helps users take advantage of some other feature(s) of the camera that we don't know about yet?
Might be used to show various crop overlays, in addition to actual grids. Square, 1.2x, 1.5x, 4x5 and so on. "Grid" has a specific meaning but they might include a lot of other stuff under that heading.
10-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

grid might be a right angled reference point for composition purposes or is that to obvious? Got might beat what it could be for other than that.

10-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the idea of a viewfinder grid is most probable, but here are a couple other possibilities:

ESRI Grid: A GPS coordinate file format -- it could create an ESRI-friendly GPS file.
Grid Networking: A grid of similar computers networked together -- it could allow multiple bodies to be coordinated for sequenced or simultaneous use.
The Grid -- The FF shows headlines from Toronto's alternative news outlet.
10-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My guess is pretty simple - adjusting the grid pattern on the LCD in LiveView without having to use the INFO or MENU button. There can be more grids, too. Golden Spiral, some of the architectural grids from the LX/MX focusing screens, etc.

Wouldn't it be cool if they simulated a split-image focusing spot on the LCD?
10-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #22
Pentaxian

It's a sports mode... short for gridiron.
.... will be labeled socc (soccer) for the European market

10-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wouldn't it be cool if they simulated a split-image focusing spot on the LCD?
I tried this on an XT-1 and it didnt work too well. Focus peaking was much better. The EVF was no joy either, much much much prefer a big OVF...
10-26-2015, 01:27 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
It's a sports mode... short for gridiron.
.... will be labeled socc (soccer) for the European market
I would think that soccer is the overseas name for football, the original game and name here in Europe... ;-)
10-26-2015, 02:12 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are all false !

It is to view the two episodes of the mini series The Grid !

or it to listen all the hits of the UK group The Grid !
10-26-2015, 02:29 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

perhaps It is to deploy the built in 21 degree grid for attached pentax flash units...
10-26-2015, 02:48 AM   #27
Pentaxian

it's a mode that enables all special effects of the Ricoh GR GR-ID.
10-26-2015, 03:13 AM   #28
Forum Member

grid on the control dial maybe for the inbuilt perception control feature on the k3, the movement of the chip off centre is controlled by the smaller setting wheel.
10-26-2015, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I would think that soccer is the overseas name for football, the original game and name here in Europe... ;-)
Bite
10-26-2015, 04:47 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Very correct.

The international and wide spread name is football (as in FIFA for International Federation of Association Football), even Australia renamed everything from soccer to football -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_in_Australia .

Moreover, to me as a non-native speaker, soccer sounds like sucker. And is just short for Association Football. So, I personally would never consider using that word and wonder why so many Americans do still accept it.

Wikipedia about this debate -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_association_football

And for some fun, pls read the last sentence of -> http://etymonline.com/index.php?term=soccer

Last edited by falconeye; 10-26-2015 at 04:59 AM.