Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The NFL should just be renamed to the NKCL (National Kick and Carryball League)

10-26-2015, 05:03 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Very correct.

The international and wide spread name is football (as in FIFA for International Federation of Association Football), even Australia renamed everything from soccer to football -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_in_Australia .

Moreover, to me as a non-native speaker, soccer sounds like sucker. And is just short for Association Football. So, I personally would never consider using that word and wonder why so many Americans do still accept it.

Wikipedia about this debate -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_association_football

And for some fun, pls read the last sentence of -> Online Etymology Dictionary
You are mainly right, of course. But we long ago (more than a century ago) started to call one of our main sports football. I doubt if we could get most Americans to switch. We still don't use the metric system and argument on that issue has proven useless so changing soccer to football is a long shot. Does any of this explain why Pentax has such a small following in the US?
10-26-2015, 05:40 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I doubt if we could get most Americans to switch
Yeah.
But on an international forum like this where Americans and others meet, there is no reason to avoid terms like football or millimeter.

Back to the topic then ...

... interesting Americans never changed a 24-70mm lens into 9 1/2 " - 27 1/2 " lens

... and interesting too Continental Europeans call a 55" flat screen a 55 inch (although shops must label them 140cm).

Seems like terms stick to what they were when invented.
10-26-2015, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah.

... interesting Americans never changed a 24-70mm lens into 9 1/2 " - 27 1/2 " lens

Oh my gosh that thought is really disturbing!

By the way, my wife is from Munich and, although I have not been back for a few years, I consider that lovely city a kind of second home.

10-26-2015, 06:31 AM   #35
Veteran Member

By the way, my wife is from Munich and, although I have not been back for a few years, I consider that lovely city a kind of second home.
Great to hear
I always remember with joy my stays at the Phoenix Marriott Tempe at The Buttes. When I worked with Motorola at the time.
10-26-2015, 06:50 AM   #36
bxf
Veteran Member

I am puzzled by your conversion
10-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The NFL should just be renamed to the NKCL (National Kick and Carryball League)
Well there was that "Punt, Pass and Kick" thing when I was young . . .

10-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are mainly right, of course. But we long ago (more than a century ago) started to call one of our main sports football. I doubt if we could get most Americans to switch. We still don't use the metric system and argument on that issue has proven useless so changing soccer to football is a long shot. Does any of this explain why Pentax has such a small following in the US?
I well remember the attempt to "metricate" the USA when my son was in grade school, and failure was inevitable in the approach they used. First they taught the kids the "English system," then tried to teach them how to convert to metric. IDIOCY!! They also posted road signs with distances and speed limits in both miles and kilometers. They converted 2X4 lumber into 5.08X10.16cm, when in fact 4X8cm is closer to the actual dimensions (closer than 2X4 inches). I think now, and thought then, the effort was pathetic and doomed to failure. The way to convert is simply dump the grotesquely illogical English System and within 5~10 years all but the most stubborn and ignorant would be thinking metric.
10-26-2015, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I am puzzled by your conversion
...internet inches
10-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #40
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
...internet inches
I should have seen this before but didn't bother to calculate, as the numbers simply looked wrong: falconeye divided by 2.54 (cm/in) instead of 25.4 (mm/in).
10-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Americans use the metric system for many things but just don't care to force-fit it for everything. Our company sells product in 25 kg bags, for example. Machinery is commonly designed in metric units. What would be the point, though, of completely redesigning how houses are built to move from 16" construction standard to 40 cm? They aren't exactly the same thing. What benefit is it to anyone to change a freeway sign to indicate the exit is in 1600 meters instead of 1 mile? The biggest every day life benefit would be in cooking, IMHO. It makes the arithmetic much simpler when using a metric system.

What the whole shift to metric exposed in the USA is the folly of a government-driven idea vs the concept of doing what the people want and what works for them.
10-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This thread should be titled as

Great Ridicule In Discussion (GRID)
10-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I should have seen this before but didn't bother to calculate, as the numbers simply looked wrong: falconeye divided by 2.54 (cm/in) instead of 25.4 (mm/in).

Oh my dear, here you have proof ... inches to me is just meaningless noise if not converted

Wrt to the metric system ... I think more and more Americans are now exposed to it via foreigners invading "their" internet. So, it will be a matter of time everybody prefers the metric system eventually. I am less sure for Fahrenheit though
10-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A 350 cu. in. small-block Chevy V-8 means something to me; 5.7 liters is meaningless.
10-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A 350 cu. in. small-block Chevy V-8 means something to me; 5.7 liters is meaningless.
Shouldn't that read 2618 liquid gallons?