Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #61
bxf
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Why not use Base Two? Black. White. It would be so much easier.
Having spent over 40 years doing binary and hexadecimal calculations, I am probably qualified to say that no, Base Two would not be easier.

10-27-2015, 12:22 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
... and interesting too Continental Europeans call a 55" flat screen a 55 inch (although shops must label them 140cm).
That used to make perfect sense: CRT screens advertised some kind of maximum measure of the tube (somewhere under the bezel), but no one knew how much an inch was, so it didn't matter. (And now we're used to it.)

QuoteOriginally posted by ghl Quote
While I agree with falconeye on many things, the famous line from Shakespeare's King Lear just doesn't work in metric:

"Ay, every inch a king."

Would this now be: Ay, every 2.54 cm a King, or, Ay, every 25.4 mm a King.
Only a computer would translate it like that. ("Inch" means "small unit of length", and so does "cm". No numbers needed.)

But no one is arguing for replacing inch in Shakespeare.

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Having spent over 40 years doing binary and hexadecimal calculations, I am probably qualified to say that no, Base Two would not be easier.
Base 8 all the way!
10-27-2015, 12:30 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Base 8 all the way!
I vote duodecimal. with our standard time keeping methods, ask yourself: How many days are there in 5 months? Hmm? Which months, you ask? with a duodecimal number system, you needn't ask.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-27-2015 at 12:36 AM.
10-31-2015, 12:06 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
..... The way to convert is simply dump the grotesquely illogical English System and within 5~10 years all but the most stubborn and ignorant would be thinking metric.
as a furniture maker I worship the holy millimeter...
NZ dumped imperial in the 60's and 70's.
I learnt 5280 feet per mile etc at primary school. Thank God we saw sense

---------- Post added 10-31-15 at 08:09 PM ----------

Once the US adopts the metric system, it can follow up with changing its date format from MMDDYY to DDMMYY, so that everybody will know what date, 09/10/11 for example, refers to
Yer that date thing is crazy, I'm often like wtf month is 15 or something

10-31-2015, 03:43 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
as a furniture maker I worship the holy millimeter...
NZ dumped imperial in the 60's and 70's.
I learnt 5280 feet per mile etc at primary school.
Teaching science at a small college, naturally I had to cover the metric system (in non-majors, biology, the first lab exercise was always metric system). I always started with how many feet in a mile, many did not know, Then I'd ask is that a statue mile or a nautical mile? Which is longer? How was each originally defined? Why is a nautical mile different? Sometimes I'd also ask more obscure things, such as: How many yards in a mile? How long is a furlong? a league (therefore: how far did Nemo go beneath the sea)? How many square feet, or square yards, or square miles in an acre? What are the differences among Troy ounce, avoirdupois ounce, and liquid ounce? How many pecks in a bushel and pints in a peck? In 30 years did I encounter one student who could answer even one of these correctly? In fact, I had to look up many of them to remind myself.
10-31-2015, 05:03 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Interesting how this turned into unit thread. But why not?

Btw, in Germany as many variants of "acre" existed as there were German states (from Wikipedia).

Now, only three countries not supporting the international consensus remain:

A good question in your small college then could be: Which are the other two countries?

Last edited by falconeye; 10-31-2015 at 05:24 AM.
10-31-2015, 06:27 AM   #67
bxf
Site Supporter

Yeah, why not? People are still just hanging around waiting for the glorious FF to show up, so anything to talk about meanwhile...

I said it before: people resist change, even if for the better. I'm not bothering to look this up, but I recall reading that there was resistance to automatic transmissions in cars; also stereo sounded strange to people. I expect there is more.

I've learnt from countless meetings at work (what a waste of time) that somebody will always have something to say, even when nothing is needed to be said, so having something to complain about presents such people with a "genuine" target. I very much understand the concept of "being comfortable" with a set of units - I still mentally convert to inches sometimes when I want to visualize a space - but sometimes change is for the better and should be tolerated.
10-31-2015, 08:01 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
I thought this deserved it's own thread. Since the only thing I can think of when it comes to grid is that it will be possible to change the viewfinder grid, or is there any other theories floating around? If not, it would be revolutionary. It seems theoretically possible since they filed the patent quite a while back.

Have tried to get some info from old colleagues but no luck there.
Err... the Nikon D90 already had a viewfinder grid.....

10-31-2015, 08:30 AM   #69
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've learnt from countless meetings at work (what a waste of time) that somebody will always have something to say, even when nothing is needed to be said, so having something to complain about presents such people with a "genuine" target.
You have described this forum to a 'T.'
10-31-2015, 08:38 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Do you really not see the superiority of the metric system, where orders of magnitude are scaled by 10/100/1000, instead of 12 or 1760 or 5280? Do you really believe that what people want is always best? Are you not aware that people are resistant to change, even if for the better?

Once the US adopts the metric system, it can follow up with changing its date format from MMDDYY to DDMMYY, so that everybody will know what date, 09/10/11 for example, refers to
As a computer professional, my first comment is to say that you really should write the year as four digits - we learned that sixteen years ago.

Why would we ever want to state the day before the month? I don't know how it is in other languages, but in English it is typical to say that today is October 31st; only a stiff formal person would say that today is the 31st of October.

Besides, it was so poignant to say that the World Trade Center fell on 9/11, since 911 is the phone number so many people called for help.

The next thing we know, you'll want us to switch our periods and commas, and put the dollar sign at the end of the amount, writing $12,345.67 as 12.345,67$
10-31-2015, 09:41 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Btw, in Germany as many variants of "acre" existed as there were German states (from Wikipedia).

Now, only three countries not supporting the international consensus remain:

A good question in your small college then could be: Which are the other two countries?
Canada changed officially to metric a number of years ago. The first thing people have to learn in my trade is the old imperial measurements. All the stuff we use, or almost all is manufactured for the us market. Cfm, btuh, gpm, insulation value, etc.
10-31-2015, 10:25 AM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As a computer professional, my first comment is to say that you really should write the year as four digits - we learned that sixteen years ago.

Why would we ever want to state the day before the month? I don't know how it is in other languages, but in English it is typical to say that today is October 31st; only a stiff formal person would say that today is the 31st of October.

Besides, it was so poignant to say that the World Trade Center fell on 9/11, since 911 is the phone number so many people called for help.

The next thing we know, you'll want us to switch our periods and commas, and put the dollar sign at the end of the amount, writing $12,345.67 as 12.345,67$
October 30th is American English. 30th October is British. Although America has managed to confuse a lot of Brits already

---------- Post added 10-31-2015 at 10:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Canada changed officially to metric a number of years ago. The first thing people have to learn in my trade is the old imperial measurements. All the stuff we use, or almost all is manufactured for the us market. Cfm, btuh, gpm, insulation value, etc.
Helps one to realize how senseless the imperial units are
10-31-2015, 10:28 AM   #73
Site Supporter

A Nikon-style overlay would be very cool, very welcome, and very useful.

Steve
10-31-2015, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter

in English it is typical to say that today is October 31st; only a stiff formal person would say that today is the 31st of October.
Only if you are used to saying it your way. The latter is entirely normal here.

Putting a long unit before a short unit, and then the longest unit afterwards would be like recording time as minutes, seconds and hours. DD/MM/YYYY or YYYY/MM/DD are both logical, the U.S. convention is not.
10-31-2015, 11:32 AM   #75
Site Supporter

but in English it is typical to say that today is October 31st; only a stiff formal person would say that today is the 31st of October.
Typical mainly in the U.S., but not incorrect elsewhere.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Only if you are used to saying it your way. The latter is entirely normal here.
Indeed, as is to simply say "31 October". As for the U.S. convention, not being logical...logic in English usage is a bit problematic. We inherited our date and time conventions from the British. Is it our fault they changed usage sometime after 1776 and did not send us a stern notice of the change?

Steve

(...lived for a period of time in Canada and still routinely write my dates as dd MM yyyy...yes, month written out to avoid cross-border ambiguity...)