Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Grid on the new pentax ff dial

I thought this deserved it's own thread. Since the only thing I can think of when it comes to grid is that it will be possible to change the viewfinder grid, or is there any other theories floating around? If not, it would be revolutionary. It seems theoretically possible since they filed the patent quite a while back.

Have tried to get some info from old colleagues but no luck there.

10-25-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
If not, it would be revolutionary.
Some models of Nikon and Canon DSLR's already let you choose different display overlays like grids in the optical viewfinder. Grids are becoming standard.
10-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It might be the Grid Computing function, and from the unmarked project you can choose the project you wish to participate in.
10-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might be a wireless connection to the power grid for long studio shoots or over night astrophotography.

10-25-2015, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It might be an option to let you get "off the grid", which will remove any and all information and prevent any communication. It will also start collecting logs for the winter, and germinate sprouts for later consumption.
10-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

It might be a device to open a rift in the space-time cotinuum warping the Muckmen from the Saavladorian IV star quandrant into our own. They will be most displeased. We do not want them displeased.
10-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It's incredible really, we're only 15 years into the 21st century, and already things are starting to sound like science fiction ....

10-25-2015, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It would be great if they could fit the camera with an LCD overlay in the viewfinder. It would be a really nice feature.

It could also apply to the live view grid but I think the former is more likely.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Grids? Where we're going we don't need any grids.
10-25-2015, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #10

It's actually an abbreviation of "griddle." It can cook pancakes and waffles, but requires the battery grip for the extra power capacity to work.
10-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #11
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
maybe it could define the AF-point grid
10-25-2015, 11:36 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

by asahi man

May I kindly refer to my post at dpr and the reply by asahiman:

QuoteQuote:
asahi man
In reply to falconeyes, 1 hour ago
QuoteQuote:
IMHO, you are close but not yet hitting the nail.

Of course, this FF won't have a hybrid VF or an EVF.

But I see a good chance for an improved "Nikon style" status overlay where grids, AF, crops and extended parameters are displayed in the OVF. And then the two additional dials work very intuitively: first optionally dial what to change, then change it with the unlabeled dial, all w/o taking the eye off target.

Certainly an improved UI and no clutter.

Falk Lumo
Bingo
Re: Almost this: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
10-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #13

So no hybrid viewfinder...
What are "extended parameters"?

Instruments to judge sharpness and exposure are most fundamental to me. Is there a chance to see this implemented in some way?

Last edited by zeitlos; 10-25-2015 at 01:14 PM.
10-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Every viewfinder today is already "hybrid" as a set of optics behind one area of the prism does project the AF point locations into the view.
On Canons and Nikons you also get some grid overlays and two colors (black/red), als by using some LCD overlays projected there.
Basically it is a very minor step from the currently "hardcoded" LCD overlay projections to say a 100 x100 pixel overlay in red and black which you use to display any sort of information.

To me the one information that would be adding real value would be highlighting clipping areas, as I do not care about a exact location on a 36 Mpx scale, but just knowing the is some highlight clipping "on the bottom left", precise down to a 100 x 100 grid would more than enough.
And before anyone says "you can't do that with the mirror down in a DSLR": You definitely can do this, since on another side of the prism even in the K-3 today there is a 360 x 240 CMOS sensor for metering that is "taking pictures" all the time while the mirror is down.
So we have RGB meter data good enough even for a 360x240 Px grid overlay replacing the simplictisc AF point overlay projctions.

I personally don't care for any other additional data in the viewfinder. But a clipping area display would be good, while still maintaining the superior experience of a real, optical viewfinder - avoiding crappy EVF monitor staring.
10-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

How about it's not composition grid but Bayer grid (filter)