Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Shouldn't that read 2618 liquid gallons?
That's a 4-bbl carburetor, not 47.6 barrels.

10-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
the folly of a government-driven idea vs the concept of doing what the people want and what works for them.
What are standards?

It's nice for music and cuisine to be intimately tied to local and regional histories, but not number systems, weights and measures, currency, voltages and 1000 other things. Government has a clear role in setting national standards. Every civilisation from the Egyptians onwards would agree.
10-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #48
ghl

While I agree with falconeye on many things, the famous line from Shakespeare's King Lear just doesn't work in metric:

"Ay, every inch a king."

Would this now be: Ay, every 2.54 cm a King, or, Ay, every 25.4 mm a King.

Just doesn't roll off the tongue the same way, or so I'm told.

But when it comes to measurement beyond literature, the metric system is superior.
10-26-2015, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #49
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
What the whole shift to metric exposed in the USA is the folly of a government-driven idea vs the concept of doing what the people want and what works for them
Do you really not see the superiority of the metric system, where orders of magnitude are scaled by 10/100/1000, instead of 12 or 1760 or 5280? Do you really believe that what people want is always best? Are you not aware that people are resistant to change, even if for the better?

Once the US adopts the metric system, it can follow up with changing its date format from MMDDYY to DDMMYY, so that everybody will know what date, 09/10/11 for example, refers to

10-26-2015, 02:24 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Do you really not see the superiority of the metric system, where orders of magnitude are scaled by 10/100/1000, instead of 12 or 1760 or 5280? Do you really believe that what people want is always best? Are you not aware that people are resistant to change, even if for the better?

Once the US adopts the metric system, it can follow up with changing its date format from MMDDYY to DDMMYY, so that everybody will know what date, 09/10/11 for example, refers to
let's bet on whether the US switch to metric system before the UK switches from two-tap sinks to mixed tap
10-26-2015, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

changing its date format from MMDDYY to DDMMYY
It would be preferable if the whole world went YYYYMMDD, according to ISO 8601. Sure makes sorting files and photos on the computer a lot easier.
10-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #52
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
let's bet on whether the US switch to metric system before the UK switches from two-tap sinks to mixed tap
I recently spent over a year in the UK, and I guess you'd have to consider my flat as "luxury" class, since it actually did have mixer taps

This comment does remind me of the time I went to live in the UK in the' 70s. After some frustrating viewings of several flats, I saw an ad in the paper saying something like "North American comfort in central London", and mentioned "central heating", which turned out to be a small space heater mounted on the wall

10-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I ...which turned out to be a small space heater mounted on the wall
As long as it was centrally mounted, you got what you asked for
As for the taps, pretty much everything bathroom related has the word 'Royal' in name so one just wanders if it's the Queen to blame,,,
Still, what's that compared to a bag of nuts with warning on packaging 'May containg nuts' But I'm sure that's not just Brits being nuts
10-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
it can follow up with changing its date format from MMDDYY to DDMMYY, so that everybody will know what date, 09/10/11 for example, refers to
I never understood the justification for this, putting the date in chronological order makes the most sense. Why put the month first?
10-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #55
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I never understood the justification for this, putting the date in chronological order makes the most sense. Why put the month first?
I was "explained" that the logic is simply the numeric representation of, for example, "July 4th" i.e. month then day.

---------- Post added 26-10-15 at 22:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
what's that compared to a bag of nuts with warning on packaging 'May containg nuts'
This is nothing compared to a picture of roast chicken on a box of e.g. stuffing mix, and the wording "chicken not included" on the box.
10-26-2015, 04:47 PM - 3 Likes   #56
mee
Veteran Member

PentaxForums -- Solving the world's problems post by post.
10-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #57
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It would be preferable if the whole world went YYYYMMDD, according to ISO 8601. Sure makes sorting files and photos on the computer a lot easier.
This is possibly the best option, both for the reason you mention, and also because it would require "everybody" to change, so that there would be no ambiguity and no likelihood of accidentally transposing DD and MM.

---------- Post added 27-10-15 at 00:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
PentaxForums -- Solving the world's problems post by post.
We are here for you!
10-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you really believe that what people want is always best?
Did you REALLY just write that???????? (and all the responses).

You, sir, are not entitled to decide for me.

From the discussion of LuLa and Michael Reichman opinion of Pentax:
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
The Sony a7RII certainly seems to be the camera he is most enthusiastic about now. Opinion is just that - opinion. At the end of the day everyone has to make their own decisions based on what they need, want, plan to use the camera for, can afford, size intended to print - the list goes on
Perhaps we should all just punt the K-ff and own A7RII. After all, what people want isn't always the best for them. Pentax is an inefficent waste of precious resources, dont'cha know. Close it down - confiscate all those Pentax cameras and lenses.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-26-2015 at 05:44 PM.
10-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #59
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Did you REALLY just write that???????? (and all the responses).

You, sir, are not entitled to decide for me.
"what people want is not always the best for them" is not the same is "what people want is never what is best for them". In addition, nobody is saying that one should necessarily be deprived of one's choice, regardless of whether or not it's the best, so no, I'm not taking it upon myself to decide for you.

However, do you agree with every piece of legislation that is passed by any of your governments? I'd imagine not, so "at the public level", somebody is deciding for you in some cases. Going metric would fall under such a concept. There would always be some opposition to almost any change.
10-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"what people want is not always the best for them" is not the same is "what people want is never what is best for them". In addition, nobody is saying that one should necessarily be deprived of one's choice, regardless of whether or not it's the best, so no, I'm not taking it upon myself to decide for you.

However, do you agree with every piece of legislation that is passed by any of your governments? I'd imagine not, so "at the public level", somebody is deciding for you in some cases. Going metric would fall under such a concept. There would always be some opposition to almost any change.
The rest of the world could simply convert to English units of measure and let scientists keep their metric beakers, assuming they all agree to use Base Ten.

Why not use Base Two? Black. White. It would be so much easier.