Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
What Pentax FF needs

It needs a better battery grip system. One that can hold 2 batteries.
What's the point of having a grip if it only holds 1 battery and the other 1 is in the body? Stabilization??
In order to have 2 fresh batteries, you have to remove the grip to put 1 in the body, and another in the grip.
I don't understand the concept of this at all. Nikon does it too with their D810.
Why can't they do it like the Canon 7D. Two batteries in one grip, so much better for the users.

If you have a Pentax grip, can you explain to me why did you buy it. Or was it part of a bundle??

10-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twuynh Quote
If you have a Pentax grip, can you explain to me why did you buy it. Or was it part of a bundle??
Mine came with a bundle, and I then sold it on. I don't really get the need for an extra battery in the grip, I often shoot 400 / 500 images a day and that only takes one battery. Why would would I want the extra weight of a grip when I can toss an extra battery in my pocket. Takes like 5 seconds to swap.

Now if you want the grip because you shoot portrait I can see that. I learned to shoot portraits without a grip and that seems more natural to me but I can see the advantage.
10-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would also like two batteries in the grip. The space is there.

Part of the reason for using a grip is to carry along extra power. Two batteries does that better than one. Three batteries in total (2 in grip, 1 in body) would provide LOTS of endurance for those who need it in the field.
10-25-2015, 03:24 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Stop complaining, until you actually know what is coming! No point in moaning yet!

10-25-2015, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Stop complaining, until you actually know what is coming! No point in moaning yet!
By now you should know it is the nature of . . . . people . . . . . to decide they know what is coming (from the merest rumor or hint or blurry photo) and to complain loudly and endlessly about that which they know not.

For most it's just a way to bleed off impatience; for many it's a form of attention seeking; for a few it's active disruption and disinformation.

You never hear from the quiet, patient people who will decide what to do when they see the actual finished product. They've nothing to bleat about..

Last edited by monochrome; 10-25-2015 at 05:02 PM.
10-25-2015, 04:03 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Place would be a bit quiet if no one was complaining. Not much else to do until we know more. Of course once we know more, then the complaining will really start!
10-25-2015, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One that can hold 2 batteries.
+1 on a 2-battery grip. Pros would love it.

Michael

10-25-2015, 04:50 PM - 4 Likes   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
What Pentax FF needs
An actual confirmed launch date... would be good.
10-25-2015, 06:11 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

What the Pentax FF body really needs the most is corporeal existence.
10-25-2015, 06:50 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah the answer to "What Pentax FF needs" is for it to be released.
10-25-2015, 11:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be nice if it had a waveform monitor display for video (and usable for still also). Much better than a histogram.
11-01-2015, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
+1 on a 2-battery grip. Pros would love it.

Michael
As i always say: "Every progress is welcome"...
but I dont know why exactly you think that one will need such a thing... I shot a wedding a whole day long... Approxemitely 2100 photos...

You know how much batteries i used? 1.

Yes one g066amn battery. - 2100 Photos.

About why one battery in the cam + one in the grip:

If i would ever think that i will shoot about 4500-5000 photos on one day... *lol*
I would first put a fresh battery into my K-5, mount my batterygrip, put a battery in, switch on the cam, then I would choose "use BG Battery first".
Switch off. use camera. shoot shoot shoot.
Battery in the battery-grip used up? no problem. I go on with the internal battery, while i cram out the next battery of my jeans pockets.
Change Battery... Result? --> internal battery at 95% - A fresh battery in the Grip... shoot shoot shoot...
What would i do if the rare situation that i would have shot about 7000 photos and i still want to go on occurs?? I would then cram out the AA-Battery drawer filled up with fresh Duracells, take out the DI-L-Battery-Drawer, shove in the AA's and go on shooting.

Maybe there are situations when i also would want a "2 Battery BG", but i just can not imagine that at the moment.
Maybe people who use the Live-View a lot would welcome such a thing, or videographers...
But people who are more into Video would not buy Pentaxes or Leicas... they would go Canon or Sony....
But here we are... Here is the point where the monkey jumps into the water(My maths teacher used to say that... German... )

Thing is:
Enhanced Video capabilities as well as the option to record 4K Video at least at 26 fps.
Full HD video at high framerates...like 200fps or so. for slow motion videos...
Full HD RAW video at 60fps...
virtual follow focus ... etc.
Videographers would like that. If such features would be existent in the upcoming PENTAX FF DSLR i could imagine that such a Battery-Grip would also make sense. such a Video-BG could also have additional connection jacks for mains adaptors, microphones, headphones... some connector to pull out 4k directly onto another device ... etc.

But all of this is nothing our baby would really need.

Really needed:
magnesium alloy body
Dual-CPU and very fast memory modules..
speed speed speed.
a Sensor with very good resolution like 24.5 up to 32MP...
phase-AF in live-view
tiltable screen
AND either a very good:

"D-FA DC WR 24-120mm F:4.0" throughout. As both an argument and a statement for sense and quality - for about 649Euro.

or a

"D-FA L(light=plastic mount) DC WR 28-135mm F:4.0" throughout. As both an argument and a statement for dedication to young photographers who need cheap but high quality optics - for about 499Euro so we can buy it alongside the PENTAX FF DSLR in a kit.

This would offer lightning fast AF, WR, in combination with a very balanced FF DSLR
at app. 2149Euro for PENTAX FF DSLR+thisveryexcitingKITLENS

what would actually undercut Nikons price for "D750 Body+AF-S VR 24-120mm 4.0G ED"
which is available for about 2419 Euro at the moment..

Also not needed but it would be very cool for a really professional DSLR to be available in 5-6 different colors.
Cherry Edition - like the 645D special edition(or what it was called...)
Gunmetal Grey - like the K-3 ltd.
Metal Navy - coolest color with which the Q7 was available...
Military Edition - Olive green metal and a brown grip
Silver Special - with dark-brown leathering...
Plain Black...
11-01-2015, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

The 645D special edition was manually painted by a traditional process called urushi-e. A similarly made FF can only be a very limited edition, high price product; OTOH a gunmetal grey could very well serve as a "workhorse".
11-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Do you want to send me the details in a PM?

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You never hear from the quiet, patient people who will decide what to do when they see the actual finished product. They've nothing to bleat about..
I haven't decided yet (my budget has: No!) and I'm not bleating (as I'm not a goat)
11-02-2015, 12:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I would also like two batteries in the grip. The space is there.

Part of the reason for using a grip is to carry along extra power. Two batteries does that better than one. Three batteries in total (2 in grip, 1 in body) would provide LOTS of endurance for those who need it in the field.
Then you would have people with weak hands/arms bitching about the weight. I have large hands and welcome the extra surface. One reason I took a 12-year break was due to my LX being too small without the winder was had broke.