Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Wow, a $1,900 street price would be great!

I also shoot Nikon. Did a little checking around tonight and found that good used Nikon D800's and D800E's seem to be going for $1,700 - $1,900 these days.

Normhead said above - "I'm expecting the Pentax FF to be a more advanced camera than the D810".

It's had to imagine a camera that's better than the Nikon's D810 flagship selling for the price of a used Nikon camera that's a model older than the D810. Now that would be a world class bargain!

If that happens I'd expect lots of Nikon shooters coming over to Pentax land...

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-26-2015 at 08:25 PM.
10-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Wow, a $1,900 street price would be great!

I also shoot Nikon. Did a little checking around tonight and found that good used Nikon D800's and D800E's seem to be going for $1,700 - $1,900 these days.

Normhead said above - "I'm expecting the Pentax FF to be a more advanced camera than the D810".

It's had to imagine a camera that's better than the D810 selling for the price of a used camera that's a model older than the D810. That would be a world class bargain!

The Pentax pricing model seems to be "Give more for the money." Pentax is also more innovative than Nikon or Canon. Therefore, expect the sub-$2,000 street price with better product and landscape IQ with the pixel shift than Canikon (as if anyone needs it). The 645Z will continue as the "Pro" model, the FF is for either pros or amateurs with money to burn, and the K-3 and successors will be for serious amateurs until the smartphones take over the world. I might find an excuse to buy the FF at $1,900 US. If not, used K-3 cameras will be selling in the $400-$500 range.

Last edited by quant2325; 10-26-2015 at 08:35 PM.
10-26-2015, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Cheap body, but expensive new lenses.
There will be no free lunch.
10-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Good lenses; old, current or to be released arent cheap anyway...

Last edited by virusn3t; 10-26-2015 at 08:41 PM.
10-26-2015, 08:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been saying since the get-go that I would be perfectly fine with 24 Mp and would accept 36. Any more would be a negative.
If you want huge files with oodles of latitude you really want medium format. Full frame 36x24 is about speed and convenience AFAIAC.
If it really is only $2400 it should sell *very* well.
10-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
The D810 has one CF card slot, and one SD card slot. I have over 200GB of fast SD cards, and no longer have any of those larger CF cards. Buying CF cards again would be a huge expense for me.
Nikon kept the CF card slot for backward compatibility with their older cameras. Pentax has always been SD so I don't believe they will suddenly add a CF slot.

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Unless you're going to print out billboards, anything over 25 MP or so is just overkill. Then you're just spending lots and lots of harddrive space for not much gain.
Not sure about that myself, "everyone" used to say 12MP was 'overkill' and now the standard for APS-C is 24MP. Lots of reasons to have more pixels, cropping for one. You are correct there is a point where it does not matter, and likely 24 is that point for a lot of people. But not all. I'm looking forward to 36 or 42MP. I cannot imagine Pentax would go any lower than 36MP in this camera, and I still think the 42Mp sensor is likely.
10-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have been saying since the get-go that I would be perfectly fine with 24 Mp and would accept 36. Any more would be a negative.
If you want huge files with oodles of latitude you really want medium format. Full frame 36x24 is about speed and convenience AFAIAC.
If it really is only $2400 it should sell *very* well.
I don't know if it is about speed for sports...the fps will be less than an APS-C. Regardless, it's a FF.

10-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Adam has been saying $2,500 max for six months. My bet was $2,800 and Rondec has been right around that. Tex apparently had an extensive conversation with someeone who should know and who he cannot identify because there was a reporter present, so disussion was 'off-the-record". $1,900 street is a damned sharp pricepoint for what that camera appears to be - prricinglike the 645Z in that market. At that price I can keep all my crazy SMC lenses, get the camera and the 70-210, keep the FA24-90 and be VERY happy.
I think that was purely speculation, but after seeing the recent photos of the camera I'd still expect it to be in that range ($2500-2900). It looks like a more serious body than the Nikon D750, so having it cost more than it but less than the D800 series would make sense if Ricoh wants to remain competitive in the US market.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-26-2015, 09:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I actually think this supports the lower-priced body theories. The 645D and Z made waves with their low price points. Ricoh would have to be brain-dead not to realize what worked before has a good shot to work again, and Ricoh ain't Hoya. They may be hoping to make up some of the margins on the new lenses.

I certainly hope this is indeed their plan because I have little interest in the new lenses, at least not anytime soon. I already have the Sigma 24-70 and, along with my ZK's, I wouldn't feel any burning need for lenses for a while. I might want the 70-200 someday, though.
10-26-2015, 10:02 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That would be awesome. We'll have to see.
Norm, you don't need that FF camera, do you ?
10-27-2015, 02:45 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Early rumors were for 42 megapixel sensor, while current rumors are for the 36 megapixel sensor. From what I can see, the 36 megapixel sensor is better at low iso while the 42 megapixel sensor is better at high iso and video. 36 probably fits better with my style of shooting, but I could work fine with either.

If the price point really is 2400 dollars, then it is certainly the 36 megapixel sensor we are looking at. But no one knows the real price of coming full frame. I doubt Ricoh has made a final decision on it so that number feels like pure speculation.
10-27-2015, 04:03 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Don't expect the prices to fall quickly. Knowing Ricoh Imaging/Pentax, they would likely play it safe and underestimate the demand. Again.
10-27-2015, 05:01 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Adam has been saying $2,500 max for six months. My bet was $2,800 and Rondec has been right around that. Tex apparently had an extensive conversation with someeone who should know and who he cannot identify because there was a reporter present, so disussion was 'off-the-record". $1,900 street is a damned sharp pricepoint for what that camera appears to be - prricinglike the 645Z in that market. At that price I can keep all my crazy SMC lenses, get the camera and the 70-210, keep the FA24-90 and be VERY happy.
The price of the new Pentax FF may start at $4000 in order to slow down the demand and smooth revenue, as Ricoh production line may not produce as much as volumes would be order if the price wqs low at the start.
10-27-2015, 06:05 AM   #29
Forum Member

For whatever it is worth, when I questioned the Ricoh Rep at the NY show last Thursday, he said that the FF senor is 36mp and 42mp with Pixel Shift enabled. However, I did not ask him if the senor is the same as the Nikon D800.
10-27-2015, 06:09 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Norm, you don't need that FF camera, do you ?
I don't, and honestly, when it comes purchase time this tax season, I'll finally have to make a decision... DFA 150-450 or FF. I can make a case for both, and I go back and forth, day after day. I personally am not convinced there's a lot of difference between a K-3 and a D810 in terms of meaningful out put. The threads on the IR fabrics really pop on a D810, but, you stand back 6 feet and you can't see them anyway. And an FF would require an expensive new wide angle, when I already have the Sigma 8-16 for APS-c. SO while I'm excited about the release, I'm a long way from deciding to purchase. Another part of that, is I haven't been out to an Art Show for over a year. Logistical problems. My local Zellers has beautiful framed canvases for 70 bucks, I used to get $300 for mine, that's less than I can buy the frames for, and if I never do another 30x20 in my life, there is no possibility I'll see any benefit from a full frame, printing at 18x12 or whatever.

SO, I'm not sure what the circumstances would be that would inspire me to buy a full frame, but I'm really happy there's going to be one available. It's kind of like a security blanket. For my wildlife shooting or macro, it's definitely a no go. If it's 3k, it will still be a toss up, used 645D or Pentax FF for landscape. I have some 645 A glass.