Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2015, 05:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something for the Strobists in the new Pentax FF

A welcome improvement to the new Pentax Full Frame would be a 3.5mm (1/8") port instead of X-sync socket which is soo outdated. This would alleviate two issues: problem of not losing the tiny X-sync socket cap and buying expensive X-sync PC cables. Two most obvious places for Placement, next to Cable switch terminal or Microphone terminal. Anyone with any thoughts on this matter?

11-03-2015, 06:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

+1 on this excellent suggestion.

M
11-03-2015, 06:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not both?
11-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

How many legacy strobes, still functional and usable in manual mode, use a PC socket? 3.5mm plugs are not foolproof either. If the new socket is placed adjacent to a second, better allow sufficient space for the size of the finger-grab portion of both plugs, from all manufacturers of such cables. If the PC socket is dated, so is the hot shoe which was originally an accessory shoe designed to hold viewfinders for WA and tele lenses on rangefinder cameras. When the shoe was designed, and for some time after, no flash units were made to be mounted on it (the first ones had a cord for connection to the PC socket). Minolta attempted to change the hot shoe to a better design. Did that succeed? V-A-V new standardized features to be used by all camera makers: include a video-pin socket appropriately positioned on the base plate so any/all quick release plates would be 100% twist resistant. It is so simple, so reliable, so inexpensive to put this little hole into the base plate there is no excuse for not having it. I absolutely cannot understand why no DSLR maker has made use of this tiny, cheap, enormously useful feature.

11-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am having trouble with my K3, trying wireless shutter release using PW+X. I suspect, the PC sync port is the weakest link in all this. Having remembered an article from Strobist a good while ago, I dug it up.

If anything positive can be said about the PC sync, compared to the 3.5mm jack is that it doesn't short when being connected.
Few things are ever perfect in life, more so in photography.

Even then, the 3.5mm jack solution simplifies life a bit, and as Uncle Vanya says, why not keep both. This could be a good USP for the new FF.
Unless Ricoh decides to incorporate a built-in radio transceiver accessible by menus, or better yet, a transceiver module that could be added to the camera - like they have with the Sekonic - which will result in additional accessory sales.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
It is so simple, so reliable, so inexpensive to put this little hole into the base plate there is no excuse for not having it. I absolutely cannot understand why no DSLR maker has made use of this tiny, cheap, enormously useful feature.
BTW, I love the way you dig out these tidbits - you amaze me with your knowledge. Thanks.
11-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

is this discussion for real?
11-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
is this discussion for real?
No, it is a hallucination. A simple adjustment of the meds will help.

Steve
11-05-2015, 03:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

i hope so...