Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So many years since 2001.
Finally to have this camera.
The company being bought twice since then?
It has got to be a consumer product record of some type?
I have never waited so long for something.

11-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Waiting for so long.
It's not the old prototype
That we are getting.

(because your post sounded so poetic)

The current FF project is completely different from the scrapped 2001 FF.
The current FF project started in 2012.
Pentax never promised a FF after scrapping the 2001 project, until 2012. In several occasions they even said "not for now".
For the delay in starting the current FF project, blame Hoya.
Pentax was not bought twice. Hoya - with inside help - managed a hostile takeover on Pentax Corporation, being interested only in the medical business. Years later, they sold a striped down Pentax Imaging Systems division to Ricoh. Note that Pentax Corporation was profitable and didn't need any buyers.
11-22-2015, 12:17 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If I were to guess, absolutely nothing was retained from that 2001 prototype. Except maybe the prism
They both have metal lens mounts.
11-22-2015, 02:12 AM   #34
Pentaxian

The mount is different, as the MZ-S interface require the use of aperture rings which the current mount discourages it. The mount protocols are also different, in-lens AF support being added on the Pentax.
The prism should be different as well; I expect a 100% pentaprism viewfinder on the K-1.

11-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
f I were to guess, absolutely nothing was retained from that 2001 prototype. Except maybe the prism
Just about everything except the crippled mount. If you look closely on the original K1, you can see the Aperture coupler.

I wonder if the original K-1 was a working prototype.
11-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have we even seen the current mount? Are we sure it's crippled?

I think any further theorising is pointless. Certainly we have seen the control layout, and that gives us some juicy tidbits to work with, but it posits almost as many questions as it answers.

What we know for sure:
* It is full-frame with at least one crop mode, which can be assumed to be Pentax APS-C, and some manual selection is possible.
* It will have a mount which is at least KAF3, because the new Pentax 24-70/2.8 has been seen mounted on it.
* The fact of microphone and possibly even headphone jacks implies that a video capability exists.
* Going on previous form, it will have pixel shift and an AA-filter-free sensor.

What we do not know for sure/at all:
* Precisely what crop modes it has.
* What exactly we will see through the OVF (the "Grid" option on the mode dial is enticing).
* What exactly the properties of the sensor are (MP, filtering, pixel size etc.), and how those get translated into images by the signal-processing algorithms (includes "ISO and low-light performance").
* How it will perform with legacy glass (both in aperture-handling and optical terms; see also 'exact properties of the sensor').
* Frame rates and video handling capability.
* How much it will cost.
12-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I wonder if the original K-1 was a working prototype.
Yes, it was
12-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if it's out there somewhere, waiting to go on ebay for megabucks.