Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From prototype to prototype to product

The first FF prototype was shown in 2001 and it looked very, very different to today's version. I'm sure we have all seen it at one time or another. From http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp.

and ...

It's amazing to see how much different it is from today's version.

The MZ-S was yesteryear's source of inspiration and today we see the FF coming from today's K-3. Dial design, button placement, and general ergonomics are completely different. However, some things - small thing - stayed the same. The name is the same. Fonts for the labeling of buttons is the same. The power button with the DoF preview stayed the same. What other elements do you think have been retained since 2000/2001?

I wonder how long Pentax/Hoya/Ricoh have been planning a FF concept in the background. It would be neat to see the whole progression from one design to the other.

Last edited by 6BQ5; 11-08-2015 at 11:01 PM.
11-08-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were to guess, absolutely nothing was retained from that 2001 prototype. Except maybe the prism

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2015, 11:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I kinda wish the originals form factor had stuck around. So much thinner than current dslr's, it's pretty obvious they were doing what they could to adapt digital to the existing 35mm film body by moving the electronics to the "grip" underneath instead of between the sensor and back of the body like most/all modern dslr's.
11-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the original K-1 design , it looks like a beast of a camera, like a D4 or a 1Dx.

11-09-2015, 12:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If I were to guess, absolutely nothing was retained from that 2001 prototype. Except maybe the prism
I doubt about the prism, if the 2001 model had an MZ-S pentaprism with 92% coverage.
That leaves... nothing. Nothing at all.
11-09-2015, 01:14 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That leaves... nothing. Nothing at all.
Hot shoe, Pentax logo, on-off-dof lever and shutter button, green, AE-L, and AF buttons...
11-09-2015, 01:42 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

I much prefer the new design. It's much cleaner. And much as I understand wanting to keep the body thin, I find that holding the beefier K-3 is a lot more comfortable than my film bodies, or even my old K-m. Also, I've never been a fan of bottom grips.

11-09-2015, 01:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Hot shoe, Pentax logo, on-off-dof lever and shutter button, green, AE-L, and AF buttons...
Hot shoe, maybe but unlikely - the chassis being different, it might have different fixing points.
On/Off lever, nope, it's different (and weather sealed on the new K-1). Buttons, nope, they're weather sealed on the new K-1.

There's one thing I like on the old prototype (and MZ-S): the slanted top. Which was done on the 645D/Z.
11-09-2015, 01:59 AM   #9
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The first FF prototype was shown in 2001 and it looked very, very different to today's version. I'm sure we have all seen it at one time or another. From http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp.

and ...

It's amazing to see how much different it is from today's version.

The MZ-S was yesteryear's source of inspiration and today we see the FF coming from today's K-3. Dial design, button placement, and general ergonomics are completely different. However, some things - small thing - stayed the same. The name is the same. Fonts for the labeling of buttons is the same. The power button with the DoF preview stayed the same. What other elements do you think have been retained since 2000/2001?

I wonder how long Pentax/Hoya/Ricoh have been planning a FF concept in the background. It would be neat to see the whole progression from one design to the other.
the "old" k-1 is looking very simple to handle.
such a camera i buy
11-09-2015, 03:30 AM   #10
npc
Veteran Member

Ah, looks like the prototype had a popup flash
11-09-2015, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first prototype was (IMO) freaking ugly, as were (also IMO) all Pentax cameras of the late film era, and the ergonomics look awful. I would not have touched it with a barge pole (except... is that mount uncrippled?).

The current prototype looks fantastic, just the thing ergonomically to hand-hold with heavy, awkward lenses, and I WANT ONE. I sincerely hope that the mount has been decrippled. (I can live with it if it hasn't been, but if it is, that would be the sweetest icing on an already very delicious-looking cake.)
11-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I highly doubt they kept the prism... by the looks of the new model, the new prism is most probably bigger...

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
I kinda wish the originals form factor had stuck around. So much thinner than current dslr's, it's pretty obvious they were doing what they could to adapt digital to the existing 35mm film body by moving the electronics to the "grip" underneath instead of between the sensor and back of the body like most/all modern dslr's.
Impossible to keep the form factor of the original prototype unless they would of went mirror-less... you can thank that to the progress of technology. I bet the original prototype didn't even dream of IBIS or tilting/swiveling screen... or bigger screen... and so on and so forth...

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
... I sincerely hope that the mount has been decrippled. (I can live with it if it hasn't been, but if it is, that would be the sweetest icing on an already very delicious-looking cake.)...
Good luck with that... by the rumors, the mount might of been crippled some more... but then again those are rumors. We will see what's what once we finally get some official specs.
11-09-2015, 07:17 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hot shoe, maybe but unlikely - the chassis being different, it might have different fixing points.
On/Off lever, nope, it's different (and weather sealed on the new K-1). Buttons, nope, they're weather sealed on the new K-1.

There's one thing I like on the old prototype (and MZ-S): the slanted top. Which was done on the 645D/Z.
Too many irrelevant details... the thing is, that old MZ-S-based prototype is unrelated to the current FF and belonging to a past era.
11-09-2015, 07:27 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

That original K-1 is one ugly thing of a camera.
11-09-2015, 08:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
That original K-1 is one ugly thing of a camera.
Ahhh, but did we think it was ugly back in 2000/2001?