11-11-2015, 07:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I won't say or confirm anything. They know who i am..haha
Create a second account with another email - then tell us all the specs

11-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enyceckk Quote
Will (the) K-1 (be) good for sports/wildlife?
Some of the intrinsic advantages of a FF DSLR's larger sensor is the ability to have more AF points. I'm going to reference the D810 because I sincerely believe that will be the body the K-1 will try to emulate. 51 AF points gives you a lot of options and with 11 f8 cross-types, you've got some pretty good low light capabilities. That's great for sports and wildlife. You should also get better noise performance which means higher "useable" iso. That is a big help for sports and wildlife as well. (You also get better dynamic range and a native iso of 64 which is awesome for landscape, but really not much help for sports or wildlife.)

The one downside I see to FF is "losing" the FoV "advantage" you get from a crop sensor. However what I'm losing isn't actual extra magnification, I just get a tighter "cropped" image. BTW, that's one of the biggest debates I'm having with some friends, I'm claiming that a 300mm lens with a 1.5x TC, (just so the numbers match) should actually be BETTER on a FF than a 300mm lens by itself on a 1.5 crop factor sensor, given that I'm getting equivalent FoV (450mm) but extra magnification with the TC. Some of the debate centers on the definition of "better", but it's an interesting hypothetical.

Back to the advantage of a crop sensor, for wildlife it has its perks for center frame, single subject images. But you can always select "crop mode" on FF cameras to recreate this.

I personally don't see a lot of reasons NOT to go FF. If I get better AF accuracy, speed, low light performance and tracking, plus higher useable iso, that's only going to help my sports and wildlife shooting. Plus I get the better dynamic range and other benefits for my landscape images.

Last edited by nomadkng; 11-11-2015 at 08:01 AM.
11-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #18
mee
Veteran Member

There are a whole lot of 'IFs' here because we just don't know. Just wait it out like the rest of us!
11-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Some of the intrinsic advantages of a FF DSLR's larger sensor is the ability to have more AF points. I'm going to reference the D810 because I sincerely believe that will be the body the K-1 will try to emulate. 51 AF points gives you a lot of options and with 11 f8 cross-types, you've got some pretty good low light capabilities. That's great for sports and wildlife.
Hummm, that can be discussed, the number of AF points and how much of the frame they cover. Having a lot of AF points located in the center is not very useful. Having more AF points is nice , but having them cover 2/3rd of the frame is even more interesting, for example when you want to frame your subject according to the rule of 3rd in AFC. Today, the best AF coverage is achieved by the D7200 and 7DII; the D810 and 5DIII AF points don't cover as wide.

11-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
All other things equal, I think you'd need a pretty big combination of Nikon sucking at the signal-processing and Pentax's genius in this department to make a big enough difference to bait people over.
That's why I mentioned the user interface as well. The two together may be enough; I agree that Nikon are probably good enough at what they do to make output a battle of personal preferences rather than objective fact.

If I were a Nikon user who was looking to switch for whatever reason, the combination of ergonomics, good workflow and good image output could be enough to tempt me into the Pentax fold, but if I were the sort for whom Nikon pushed all my ergonomic and workflow buttons I agree I'd be hard pressed to walk away. I should mention that I switched from Minolta to Pentax in film in mid-2000 (happily abandoning motor drive, AF and Tv mode in the process), and then from Nikon to Pentax in digital in 2005 (once I had the *ist-DL I didn't miss my stolen Coolpix 8700, its video mode or its extra 2MP), so Pentax must have been doing something right all these years and I think there's the potential for the full-frame to attract at least a few "defectors".
11-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It'll be hard to say who the FF is going to be geared to, Sports shooters (high FPS (8+) or studio shooters (low FPS (4+) until they release more specs.
11-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #22
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be a studio camera it would have to have some kind of good tethering capablilities. I haven't seen or heard the slightest hint towards that, so I am deeply worried.

In the past I could get away with the flashair wifi card as a wonky workaround but it doesn't hold up a lot longer. I even think it's a knock-out criteria for studio work in the near future because clients just expect to see stuff in real time on set these days.

On the other hand, maybe Studio work isn't something that Pentax cares much for and I am just a creepy alien without knowing it...

11-11-2015, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

You haven't hard ANYTHING beside rumours..Are you also worried about everything you dont know? That would be almost everything..So you should be terrified then!
11-11-2015, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Most wildlife shooters use lighter/smaller/quicker DX cameras rather than larger full frame cameras.

Me, I shoot a Nikon D7100 and 300mm Nikkor lens (sometimes with 1.4X Nikkor converter) for wildlife and super-fast moving sports. The autofocus accuracy and speed of this Nikon set up is outstanding. If I ever upgrade the body it will be to a D7200 or D400 (if it ever comes out). Based upon my prior experiences with Pentax DX cameras (K3, K5IIs, K3II) I doubt that Pentax in the near future will be able to match the AF performance of top Nikon equipment.

That's not to say that the Pentax full frame will not work for wildlife. I expect that it will work just fine for action/wildlife photography - probably at a level that's acceptable to many photographers. But I'm saying that I doubt it's AF performance will be "outstanding enough" to cause Nikon shooters to switch.

I used to shoot the Canon 5D. I have friends who shoot flying birds (BIF) with me that use the latest Canon bodies with giant white lenses. The Canon bodies with their white telelenses are even better then Nikon equipment for birds in flight. I really doubt a serious BIF Canon guy would ever dump his Canon equipment for Pentax.

That said, I still intend to purchase the Pentax full frame. I will not be using it for wildlife/fast action; rather I will use it (likely in pixel shift mode) for wide angle, manual focus scenes (mostly landscapes).

I'm certainly not a studio photographer, but I have no doubt that the K-1 would excell at that type of photography too.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 11-11-2015 at 03:37 PM.
11-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

You haven't hard ANYTHING beside rumours..Are you also worried about everything you dont know? That would be almost everything..So you should be terrified then!
Men often fear what they dont know... You can help givin us information
11-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Men often fear what they dont know... You can help givin us information
You should fear what you DO know - that if kenspo tells all, he will be cut out of the loop, and then we won't get anything out of him at all.
11-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
You should fear what you DO know - that if kenspo tells all, he will be cut out of the loop, and then we won't get anything out of him at all.
He can always send me a PM with the info , dont worry about this, im just playing along with the thread.
11-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #28
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not terrified but a little bit nervous because this camera might actually hit the sweet spot for me. My perception is that tethering hasn't got much attention or priority in the past so that's why I'm a little concerned (but of course I'm still hoping for the best like every body else here ). I didn't want to come across like the negative nagging guy, so sorry if I did.
11-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm worried I'll like the camera too much and drool over it - good thing for WR
11-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #30
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Today, the best AF coverage is achieved by the D7200 and 7DII; the D810 and 5DIII AF points don't cover as wide.
sony has a couple of ff cameras that have much wider af point coverage than that, here is the a7rii vs. the d4s: http://i0.wp.com/thenewcamera.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/AF-screen-img.jpg

the blue is cdaf(25 points), green is pdaf(399 points).

this is how the focus point placement stacks up against the 5diii and the d810: Analysis: Sony a7R II and RX100 IV autofocus systems: Digital Photography Review

that's not to say that the latest sony af always works as good or better than the best dslrs, because it doesn't.