Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I'm worried I'll like the camera too much and drool over it - good thing for WR
[Insert :drool: icon here lol]
11-12-2015, 04:38 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Wouldn't this end up with nothing but silence on the forum?
We'd have to close it off completely to outside view so Ricoh didn't know they'd been betrayed... and then the volume of "But I don't liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike it this way!" and "Pentax is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!" from those displeased with it would crash the servers.
11-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Wouldn't this end up with nothing but silence on the forum?😊

11-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
No, I'm talking super telephoto primes 400mm and above. The longest Pentax currently offers is 600mm. You have to find used A series or early for anything longer. And those are all manual focus with WR. The Pentax DFA 400mm and above offerings is rather slim.
I don't think Pentax has any 600mm lenses in production or new-in-stock, unless they're still making the FA*600mm f/4, or unless you're talking about the DA 560mm for APS-C.
11-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #36

You are right. I was looking at the lens database and not the lens road map or the web stores. All they have to offer in FF is the DFA 100-450mm. There is the DA 560mm but is it suitable for FF or only crop-mode?

Canon has held the field for super-long telephotos since the FD mount and Pentax/Ricoh will probably not try to compete with them there. But you never know.
11-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I won't say or confirm anything. They know who i am..haha
Be wary the Pentax Secret Police! I've heard rumors about their interrogation techniques, something about strapping a K-01 to your hands and forcing you to try and take pics of fast moving object with a DA 55-300mm lens...

11-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

There is the DA 560mm but is it suitable for FF or only crop-mode?
I seem to remember a thread here on PentaxForums in which someone described testing the DA 560mm on a film camera. I don't think they found any vignetting.

Canon has held the field for super-long telephotos since the FD mount and Pentax/Ricoh will probably not try to compete with them there. But you never know.
As other people have suggested, maybe Pentax can use the existing FA* designs but manufacture them with updated multi-coatings. However, screw drive autofocus seems to on the way out, and is being replaced with quiet motors contained within the lens (e.g., Pentax's DC and SDM, Sigma's HSM). For something longer or faster, unfortunately the A* 1200mm f/8 and the A* 400mm f2.8 are manual focus, so couldn't easily be updated.
11-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I don't think Pentax has any 600mm lenses in production or new-in-stock, unless they're still making the FA*600mm f/4, or unless you're talking about the DA 560mm for APS-C.
The FA* 250-600 was available by special order until 2010 or so...
11-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #40
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It should be 42 mp so it is the answer to life, the universe and everything...
That's my line!!
;p

---------- Post added 11-12-15 at 08:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Some of the intrinsic advantages of a FF DSLR's larger sensor is the ability to have more AF points.
+ *cough pentax patented af mirror cough*
11-13-2015, 05:40 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
You haven't hard ANYTHING beside rumours..Are you also worried about everything you dont know? That would be almost everything..So you should be terrified then!
Without mentioning anything about specs:
I use my K5iis mainly for airshows, with a fair share of AF fails (usually simply doesn't recognize that the focus distance has changed).
Do you know if the FF will be a close match to the current leaders in that aspect?
11-13-2015, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I doubt that Pentax in the near future will be able to match the AF performance of top Nikon equipment.
While I am a Pentax fanboy, this is true. Nikon simply has had more industrial experience developing and refining high end AF camera gear (lenses, AF systems, algorithms) at this point. Ditto Canon. It will take Ricoh some time and effort to match the experience acquired by Canikon. They are getting there though. The K-3 AF system, for example, has elements that match the best of high-end Canon or Nikon (-3 EV sensitivity, 86k metering sensor integration with AF, some of the AF-C options), but the whole Pentax AF package could certainly benefit from more evolution.

But perhaps led by the new FF, no doubt Ricoh will be doing their best to catch up in the next few years.

Last edited by rawr; 11-13-2015 at 06:34 PM.
11-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enyceckk Quote
Will Pentax K-1 good for sports/wildlife? or Just a studio camera?
Pentax's cameras were build for outdoor and rugged use because of its tough build quality with its reliable weather sealing... BUT... From my observations on Pentax/Ricoh's video ads, they're focusing the camera for studio use?!? Just like when the Pentax K-3 got out on the market, the K-3's video ad is focused on indoor studio portrait with all its controlled lighting and environment.
Now, with the upcoming Pentax K-1, for sure it will be a great camera for sports/wildlife/adventure etc. but then, I suspect that its video ads will again just focus on indoor studio setup. I have nothing against studio setup, its just that Pentax cameras aren't marketed and promoted well for its awesome capabilities. The promotional materials lacks drama and passion.
11-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #44
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
sony has a couple of ff cameras that have much wider af point coverage than that, here is the a7rii vs. the d4s: http://i0.wp.com/thenewcamera.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/AF-screen-img.jpg
Yes but Pentax released the 645Z with essentially the K3 AF point system so who knows what the FF will get.
12-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfg Quote
Yes but Pentax released the 645Z with essentially the K3 AF point system so who knows what the FF will get.
At the time the 645z was developed that's what they had.