Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Hummm, that can be discussed, the number of AF points and how much of the frame they cover. Having a lot of AF points located in the center is not very useful. Having more AF points is nice , but having them cover 2/3rd of the frame is even more interesting, for example when you want to frame your subject according to the rule of 3rd in AFC. Today, the best AF coverage is achieved by the D7200 and 7DII; the D810 and 5DIII AF points don't cover as wide.
Are you sure about 5D Mark III Af points coverage?

True about Af coverage from 7D Mark II vs K-3 II.

12-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Are you sure about 5D Mark III Af points coverage?
Yes, I'm sure, I looked at the same AF frames as the ones you posted here. The 5DIII / D800 relative frame coverage of the AF is similar to the K-3, but the relative coverage of APS cameras such as 7DII and D7200 cover a larger portion of the frame. The 25 AF points of the K-3 fitted into the 645z cover a rather small area in the center of the frame.
12-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes, I'm sure, I looked at the same AF frames as the ones you posted here. The 5DIII / D800 relative frame coverage of the AF is similar to the K-3, but the relative coverage of APS cameras such as 7DII and D7200 cover a larger portion of the frame. The 25 AF points of the K-3 fitted into the 645z cover a rather small area in the center of the frame.
Please never compare the K3's AF coverage to the D800/D810/D750 ever again. It's not even close. It's down right embarrassing in comparison. The D8xx stretches out to the edges further and has more points out further than the K3, not to mention better accuracy from those outer AF points. It's not even a contest. Granted they do not cover the full frame, but it's way more coverage than any Pentax that is currently available on store shelves.
12-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #49
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Please never compare the K3's AF coverage to the D800/D810/D750 ever again. It's not even close. It's down right embarrassing in comparison. The D8xx stretches out to the edges further and has more points out further than the K3, not to mention better accuracy from those outer AF points. It's not even a contest. Granted they do not cover the full frame, but it's way more coverage than any Pentax that is currently available on store shelves.
Hehe... new ricoh AF mirror patent...

12-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enyceckk Quote
I really hope K-1 can at least do 6 fps. 8 fps will be awesome at 36MP.

Also, I really hope this K-1 will make Nikon/Canon/Sony users to switch to Pentax! Pentax makes good cameras!
If the crop mode can engineered in the camera, so can a sport mode with higher FPS and lower MP's. There could also be a complete sport version offering 18 FPS(or higher)also.

Microsoft lost in the HD vs. BLU-RAY race and now pay Sony to use the technology in the Xbox One. Pentax could do the same to obtain better focusing.

Last edited by tabl10s; 12-24-2015 at 06:04 PM.
12-30-2015, 08:16 PM   #51

Photos: Albums
Wildlife photos can be taken with any camera and a reasonably long lens. With different techniques (camouflage, using a hide etc.) you can get away with a FF camera.

I moved from a Canon 7D to a Sony A7. I used the 70-400 equivalent for both systems. I am really enjoying the ability to handle ISO and be able to push shadows more. I find that I just have to try harder to get close. This is photographing (mostly) larger types of birds and wildlife.

For small birds you can never have enough focal length. I'm of the opinion that almost all small bird photos are best taken using a photo blind in an environment that is controlled (such as a backyard). In this case you can get really close to the subjects generally and have optimum backgrounds and perches to work with.

Last edited by str8talk83; 12-30-2015 at 08:24 PM.
12-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote

We already have a 150-450 and an imminent 70-200,
300 f/2.8, 400 f/4, 500 f/4, 600 f/4

QuoteQuote:
... so I'm assuming you're looking to the development of > 200mm D-FA* or D-FA Limited primes?
Yes please!

12-31-2015, 01:17 PM   #53
Pentaxian

For a real pro sports camera you need more then just some lenses.

Support at Olympics.

12-31-2015, 02:44 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Support at Olympics.
holy crap.
12-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

How much do these posts cost?
12-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

Support at Olympics.
And it would be up to us, the normal, often budget constrained customers, to pay for that.
Nope, Olympics is not an option for Ricoh Imaging/Pentax, and that's completely fine. There are many other 'pro' segments they could target.

P.S. Happy new year, everyone!
12-31-2015, 03:53 PM   #57
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How much do these posts cost?
I was going to clear out the ignore file for the New Year. But the coming release of the FF made me think better of it.

Hope the New Year finds you on high ground and not floating towards the Gulf of Mexico
12-31-2015, 04:28 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Hope the New Year finds you on high ground and not floating towards the Gulf of Mexico
. Entire 2-storey houses with everything in them really are floating down the river. We're seeing water levels never recorded before. I sandbagged with some Boy Scouts yesterday afternoon in Valley Park - I've presented Eagle Scout Awards at the church there that is now the shelter for displaced Valley Park families. The river crests passed my neighborhood this afternoon but east of here they're still trying to raise the sandbag walls until the crest passes.

The images you are seeing on television are 15 minutes from my house - but we live well above the floodplain up top of the bluffs. The problem is St. Louis is surrounded by rivers and al the bridges going south and southwest are closed, flooded over. That's why I-44 and I-55 are closed completely and I-70 is at risk To go south or southwest you have to drive 100 miles west, cross the Missouri River southbound behind the crest, then come back east BETWEEN the Meramec and Missouri, crossing the Meramec behind the crest. Since 400,000 people in the Metro live on that side of the Meramec river and 100,000 of them work on this side . . . .

There's a 12 mile wide passage SW that doesn't cross a large river but all the roads there are flooded because the little creeks are backed up. My son's in-laws are literally flooded INTO their subdivision. Their exit route is closed until probably Saturday. We are essentially unable to travel north / south in St. Louis until Monday.

I hope to get out and take some photos tomorrow with my LANDSCAPE K-3, but I guess I'll just miss all the action shots - moving water and all that. Certainly couldn't hope to sell anything I take with and amateur camera. Then again, our lacrosse and baseball fields are 24 feet under water. Who needs a pro Olympic sports camera anyway?!!!

I had to work today - alas my office is to the North. We were about half-staffed.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-31-2015 at 05:11 PM.
12-31-2015, 05:16 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
If the crop mode can engineered in the camera, so can a sport mode with higher FPS and lower MP's. There could also be a complete sport version offering 18 FPS(or higher)also.
FF = Bigger mirror = more mass/inertia. You could restrict the higher frame rates to Live View though some people find using the rear screen awkward.