Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2015, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #1

Will Pentax Full-frame camera using USB-C port?

Name:  Pentax FF Left.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  105.4 KB

I saw this photo of Pentax FF camera. I just realize the left port door is shorter than K-3 by about half centimeter. K-3 includes USB 3.0 port, the wide one.

When I saw the size in the photo of the earlier prototype, I thought Pentax might remove the need of DC IN, and use USB port as power supply.

However, this time, it has mark on the door, DC IN still there. And HDMI is already micro one. So, it must be the USB port has changed.

I think it has to be USB Type C port, which might also implies USB 3.1, 10 Gbps port, which might be perfect for tethering. So, it might also implies the FF will support tethering.

And I'm not sure, will this be the first DSLR camera in the world includes USB-C port?

Anyone has further information on this?

Last edited by taowang; 11-13-2015 at 06:24 AM. Reason: typo
11-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I have faith in Pentax engineers to produce the best FX camera on the market.
11-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I have faith in Pentax engineers to produce the best FX camera on the market.
What he said.

As for the ports and tethering and so on, Occam's razor* is one's friend when indulging in speculation.

Steve

* That proposition requiring the least number of assumptions has the highest probability of being correct.
11-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting idea...

11-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Off topic I note ports for mike AND headphones, so maybe they're a little more serious on the video front than they've hitherto been?
11-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Well, the camera will have wi-fi so tethering that way is a sure bet. But I also hope wired tethering will be supported out of the box.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #7

While I did like the wireless option with a wireless SD card on my K-5IIs, it was very slow and I don't think the built in wifi will be much faster.

I believe real professionals would prefer wired tethering with strong support in software ( Capture One, Lightroom and PDCU )

I don't care much about video, but I think Ricoh would be foolish to release this camera without features that are comparable to other FF cameras on the market.
There are a lots of people out there filming with FF cameras, and Pentax has some great lenses for this purpose.

- Shake reduction in video mode - not electronic crop mode
- Audio levels control
- Focus peaking during recording
- Faster/better autofocus during recording
- Choice of compressed and uncompressed formats
- 4k (?)