Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will You Buy New DX Body On Black Friday - Or Hold Out For Full Frame?

Like many of you, I've saved up some money that I intend to use to purchase the new Pentax full frame camera body this spring.

In a little over one week there will be some incredible "Black Friday" prices on new Pextax APS-C (DX) cameras (e.g. K3, K3II).

Will you be disciplined and skip these terrific sale prices, or will the temptation be too great?

I will only spend my full frame money if a new K3II is offered at around $650 - $700.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 11-17-2015 at 10:27 AM.
11-17-2015, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

DX and FX are terms Nikon use!!!
It should be phrased "Will You Buy New APS-C Body On Black Friday - Or Hold Out For Full Frame?".

No I won't, I can't afford more cameras...
11-17-2015, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
DX and FX are terms Nikon use!!!
It should be phrased "Will You Buy New APS-C Body On Black Friday - Or Hold Out For Full Frame?".

No I won't, I can't afford more cameras...

I'm a 30 year Nikonian who in early 2015 came over to Pentax because of pixel shift technology. So please forgive the use of DX, as my background is Nikoncentric.
11-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not in the market for a new body. But I will be buying a new DA lens...if KEH comes through with the check for the lenses I just sold them...

11-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I plan to buy an APS-C here in the near future. At this point I'll probably hold out until Black Friday but it's hard to beat the current prices of the K-3 or even the rebate deal on the K-3 II. As a "consumer"/hobbyist, the FF sounds fun but that is a lot of money to make the jump not only into a new body but also lenses as I believe I only have one FF lens.
11-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I'm a 30 year Nikonian who in early 2015 came over to Pentax because of pixel shift technology. So please forgive the use of DX, as my background is Nikoncentric.
No problem, just a pet peeve when I see non-nikon bodies labeled as DX and FX.
11-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next body will most likely be FF. But if a deal on lenses comes up I might be tempted.

I doubt the 150-450 will drop into anything attractive, and the 24-70 is most likely too new to be offered at a discount. Not sure what else I would be interested in at this point, unfortunately.

11-17-2015, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Next body will most likely be FF. But if a deal on lenses comes up I might be tempted.

I doubt the 150-450 will drop into anything attractive, and the 24-70 is most likely too new to be offered at a discount. Not sure what else I would be interested in at this point, unfortunately.
You might be surprised- Black Friday is the prefect (and virtually only) time that US Pentax retailers are allowed to ignore MAP pricing...

But we'll have to wait and see!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I personally would purchase the camera you need now. If you have a job to get done, the new k-3 or k-3ii will do it. At this point, we have no idea what the FF camera is called let alone how it will perform or cost.

Also, First Gen things typically have problems... and sometimes they are big problems. K-5 had some flappy issues and P-ttl flash issues. K-3 had a similar issue but this was corrected soon after launch.

I think your best bet is to get the camera you need now, and purchase the FF camera when the rest of the market has had a chance to test it. Also, if it is rock solid, you may get one in the marketplace at a good price.
11-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
No problem, just a pet peeve when I see non-nikon bodies labeled as DX and FX.
I was confused and thought that I had missed an announcement for a new camera or something.
11-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Despite my feel that great deals are coming, I just picked up a red K-50 so my dealing is done for a bit.
11-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty darn happy with my K-01 + K-30 combo.
11-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You might be surprised- Black Friday is the prefect (and virtually only) time that US Pentax retailers are allowed to ignore MAP pricing... But we'll have to wait and see!
I love surprises! But I have a very good kit, more than I need. And what I want most is the FF and a 24-105 f/4.

But if they bring back the 31mm Limited at the price they had last year I might be tempted.

Not sure what price I would jump at for the 150-450, but I already sold off all my long glass in anticipation of this lens, so it is just a matter of time.....
11-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I love surprises! But I have a very good kit, more than I need. And what I want most is the FF and a 24-105 f/4.

But if they bring back the 31mm Limited at the price they had last year I might be tempted.

Not sure what price I would jump at for the 150-450, but I already sold off all my long glass in anticipation of this lens, so it is just a matter of time.....
how much was the 31 limited last year? I'm thinking it could be lower if they have any plans on upgrading that line. could be somewhat telling if they did. i know they are wonderful lenses but they are how old now? i think it'd be a missed opportunity on their part. up until now they haven't had a reason to bc the only 35mm format was film and the updated versions could be considered the asp-c lineup, but the tech is outdated. at the very least they could make them hd coated and viola they can sell the lens at full retail again like they did with the asp-c limiteds.
11-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I may possibly sell my K-01 that I just bought from eBay last month because I'm just not gelling with it. I may also sell my (now my daughter's) K-x. If I do that I will upgrade her to either the K-S1 or the K-S2. I'm thinking the K-S2 because it's weather sealed. That will give our household two very solid WR bodes and 4 WR lenses. (My two DA* and the two DA kit lenses with the Costco package.) I could probably garner about $400ish from selling the K-01, K-x and the kit lens from the K-x. The Costco deal would then cost me just the extra $100 + taxes. Not bad at all. And I'm thinking of buying a Q-something, not this year but later, for my toy camera. The K-01 is too chunky for that. I've been on the fence for a while about it, but I'm very close to jumping. I don't have enough FF glass to switch.

Last edited by dansamy; 11-17-2015 at 01:52 PM.