Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Yes. Personally, I am sick of the teasing and feel as though I've responded to too many cries of "Wolf!"

For me, it's "put up or shut up" time.
+1 Good God Ricoh, we should have at least seen some hard specs by now.

11-27-2015, 10:45 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My opinion, everyone needs to take a pill. This stuff just isn't that important. There will be specs... and Pentax unique capabilities, but none of them are going to be show stoppers. It's going to be an FF a camera. Why is everyone wetting their pants?
11-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by infinity Quote
?????? ?????????????????????????
(above link works, just it comes up weird)
http://higashisa.com/fullflamepentax/
Maybe it includes a cigarette lighter? confused2
11-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay. So to discussing these pictures then. Personally, I find that articulating screen rather off-putting. Would be quite happy to see it abandoned.

---------- Post added Nov 27th, 2015 at 12:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Yay for better photos! I'm so excited. I feel like the K-1 plus the DA* 55mm would be the dream-- a full-frame camera with a fast normal weather-sealed prime. We could take on the world!
That would be nice, but I really just want a Full Frame Pentax Camera in order to fully utilize legacy Pentax glass (i.e.: no crop factor).

Yes, I'd also like the other benefits of a Full Frame sensor too. But, really, we've got a lot of great full frame lenses available already.

11-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My opinion, everyone needs to take a pill. This stuff just isn't that important. There will be specs... and Pentax unique capabilities, but none of them are going to be show stoppers. It's going to be an FF a camera. Why is everyone wetting their pants?
I'm with Norm on this. It's just a camera, for heaven's sake. If you don't dwell on it, you won't get frustrated by it, unless you've got a set of business needs that demand what it can provide. If that's the case, you've had lots of interim or permanent options for a long time: otherwise, it's just another First World problem. I'd rather not die wondering in the meantime, but I've no indication I'm going to, and if I did, I wouldn't be worried about this.
11-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Okay. So to discussing these pictures then. Personally, I find that articulating screen rather off-putting. Would be quite happy to see it abandoned.
I know what you mean. I think the articulating screen is way over-complicated. Still I can remember a couple of times where I would have found it useful. Backed up against a wall with the camera on a tripod for one. I have durability questions about the articulating screen which can't possibly be answered right now but I am extremely skeptical. Please note: Skeptical types are accused of wetting their pants around here. That is the unfortunate level of discourse on this forum. In fact it's the norm.
11-27-2015, 11:51 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I have durability questions about the articulating screen which can't possibly be answered right now but I am extremely skeptical.
Flippy screen admirer here. Flippy screens similar to the K-1 - like the ones seen on the 645Z, D750, and in every one of the Sony NEX/Alphas for the last 5 years, for example - are surprisingly resilient and only very rarely do you read any damage reports about them online. Plus when not in use - probably 95% of the time when shooting - they sit out of harms way, just like a normal rear LCD screen.

But wait, there's more!: as a [repairability] bonus, if the rear flippy screen gets damaged or fails in any position (even sitting flat on the camera back), it's certainly going to be easier to service or replace than a damaged or failing conventional rear LCD screen, which is bonded onto the camera back, and which practically requires a full camera teardown to replace.
11-28-2015, 03:52 AM - 4 Likes   #23
Site Supporter

I'm not worried about the screen. I will have it locked down 95 percent of the time. The few times I will use it, the camera will mostly be on a tripod. For people who don't use articulating screens, keeping it locked down (you could even super glue it) would be a great option.

11-28-2015, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm not worried about the screen. I will have it locked down 95 percent of the time. The few times I will use it, the camera will mostly be on a tripod. For people who don't use articulating screens, keeping it locked down (you could even super glue it) would be a great option.
Exactly.
Any useful feature whose use is optional and that doesn't intefere with other functions is a good thing.
I have never used movie mode on my K-5iis, but I can't think of a reason to complain about having the option.
11-28-2015, 06:43 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Exactly.
Any useful feature whose use is optional and that doesn't intefere with other functions is a good thing.
I have never used movie mode on my K-5iis, but I can't think of a reason to complain about having the option.
Video can be accessed in different ways and on the K-S1 it is on the power switch. It is pretty annoying if you switch it over to far and start shooting video rather than take still photos by accident. But I agree with you in principle.
11-28-2015, 06:50 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Video can be accessed in different ways and on the K-S1 it is on the power switch. It is pretty annoying if you switch it over to far and start shooting video rather than take still photos by accident. But I agree with you in principle.
If it's annoying, it interferes with normal operation... so doesn't qualify.
11-28-2015, 06:55 AM   #27
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I guess if you include the potential for operator error any feature qualifies as annoyance.
11-28-2015, 07:00 AM   #28

Photos: Albums
@Paralax
Do you think that the camera will come with an instructions manual in the box?
It seems that manuals are becoming an operator error correction tool, that offend people!

---------- Post added 11-28-15 at 03:02 PM ----------

--getting banned in a few secs......--
11-28-2015, 07:11 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stargazer Quote
@paralax
do you think that the camera will come with an instructions manual in the box?
It seems that manuals are becoming an operator error correction tool, that offend people!

---------- post added 11-28-15 at 03:02 pm ----------

--getting banned in a few secs......--
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  65.8 KB

Last edited by Heie; 11-28-2015 at 07:16 AM.
11-28-2015, 07:15 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Operational manuals tend to be errors unto themselves. The fact that some engineer who's taken a course in technical writing thinks what he writes tells you how to use the camera, doesn't mean he did.

Reading most manuals are like reading someone's field notes, before they go to the proof reader and publisher.

Last edited by normhead; 11-28-2015 at 07:24 AM.