Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2015, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #1

Details and Shots on the upcoming FF

Its been a while since I last posted on the forums and I'm not a very active member, but I'm always lurking about checking out lens reviews and the like.

This Monday past I was having a chat with Mr. Mori from the Ricoh Imaging Square in Ginza, Tokyo, about the new FF that will be on display at CP+ in February next year. He works in customer communications there.

While he couldn't go into too much detail about the unit itself and the specs he was able to explain a little about its modelling which maybe some of you can extrapolate from.

Apparently its going to look somewhat like the K-3 line cameras although obviously larger in size. It's K mount (that's pretty much been confirmed with Ricoh's very fat HD 24-70mm lens announcement back in September, among other announcements by both Pentax and Ricoh company engineers and from the pics you can see below). The grip is also going to extend down a few more fingers, so while theres nowhere to put your pinky comfortably at the moment (depending on your own hand size) that will change with the FF. The Penta-prisim housing is apparently pretty fat too, sticking well out the top of the camera.

I asked about the resolution size but for secrecy's sake cant mention too much here. What I can tell you has already been mentioned around the net, its a full 35mm sensor and most likely a Sony one, given they have been using them since the K-5. Pentax / Ricoh engineers haven't announced any developments on their own sensor either.

The 645z is running a Sony sensor at just over 51MP and that's been out since 2014 so you might be in for a pleasant surprise as the FF could include one of equal or greater resolution and given that the second hand camera shops here in Tokyo are filling up with a few more 645's than usual (and quite discounted) it could hint at something.

Finally, If the new 24-70mm lens is WR, so you can bet your bottom dollar that the FF will be too.

References and Details (hope Pentax Forums don't get sued):

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150918_721873.html

?????? ?????????????????????????
(above link works, just it comes up weird)

New Pentax Full Frame DSLR Teaser Site Says Camera Coming in Spring 2016

Life in a glass case: We peer at new Pentax full-frame DSLR: Digital Photography Review

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo   
11-24-2015, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Yay for better photos! I'm so excited. I feel like the K-1 plus the DA* 55mm would be the dream-- a full-frame camera with a fast normal weather-sealed prime. We could take on the world!

Could someone provide a size estimate for just how much bigger the K-1 will be than the K-3?
11-24-2015, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Not so much reaction, not so many replies to that thread. Is the Pentax FF teasing fading away ? Will the actual introduction fall flat ?
11-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I too am very curious about the K1 and DA 55. This is reaping havok with my personal roadmap.

11-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I have a feeling that its going to be out on Christmas. Or atleast the FA* 70-200 if not the FF body. I see some Japanese sites stating the availability/shipment date around that time for the FA* 70-200. I think the lens will go out in Dec for sure. The body is likely to be delayed until April 2016.
11-24-2015, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Not so much reaction, not so many replies to that thread. Is the Pentax FF teasing fading away ? Will the actual introduction fall flat ?
Yes. Personally, I am sick of the teasing and feel as though I've responded to too many cries of "Wolf!"

For me, it's "put up or shut up" time.
11-24-2015, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Could someone provide a size estimate for just how much bigger the K-1 will be than the K-3?
It's a bit hard to tell from the oblique nature of the photos, but the K mount itself is always the same size and we know how big the 24-70 is. Looking at it, I'd estimate this is to the K-3 or K-5 what a Spotmatic is to an ME or MX.
11-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Ooof...this youngin has never used Pentax film cameras.

11-24-2015, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'd estimate this is to the K-3 or K-5 what a Spotmatic is to an ME or MX
Sounds about right...
11-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Yes. Personally, I am sick of the teasing and feel as though I've responded to too many cries of "Wolf!"
Me too. This saga has dragged on way too long.
11-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Ooof...this youngin has never used Pentax film cameras.
Fool! You don't know what you're missing! :P Start with a P30N or T (P3N or P3T in some markets); they're the easiest to get a grip on, almost foolproof to load film into, and they offer a degree of automation if you feel you need it, while at the same time allowing you to plunge headlong into the here-be-dragons world of all-manual if you so desire. On top of that, unlike the K and M series, they will work with DA lenses... at least in terms of defaulting to program mode and exposing correctly with them; the vignetting/full frame coverage issue is of course another matter.
11-24-2015, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #12

I don't understand... Pentax has WR cameras and lenses, which i think are aimed at outdoors photography, but yet, they still refuse to invest in long focal lenses for wildlife photographers! This is very frustrating!

I love my K5 and K3, but let's be honest high iso performance is not up to par with the canikon fullframe cameras. You cannot go beyond ISO 400 without being horrified by the noise and lost of detail in photos.(pixel piping, call it whatever you want, but if you do wildlife you will,eventually crop and a lot!)

Having a 500mm and zooming with your legs sometimes it's just not possible!( have you ever tried to approach a Hen Harrier while is hunting in the middle of a flat plane?He can see you come even before you notice he is there!) Considering that most photos are done during dawn or dusk....then you are in for a lot of problems to surpass! Not a lot of light available, fast moving subjects and F4 aperture lenses you do the math!
The only way to compensate is to crank up those ISO's and then BOOOMMM!!!! Lot's of noise and loss of detail! COME ON !!!!!!!!!

Build a full frame camera, invest money and time in Research and development to make some really nice long focal and fast lenses, like you've done in the past with the F* and FA* series, and you will make a lot of money, and a lot of your customers happy!

In your website you have a few well know wildlife photographers handling massive FA* 600/4 that you don't make any more and can't even find one in the used market, because they are very rare and people really value them for they build quality and optics. Good craftsmanship that you once possessed and made you're name on. STOP misleading us.
STOP not wanting to take a piece of the wildlife/sports market in photography and just do us justice by giving us (customers) what we demand!!! Enough is ENOUGH!

Last edited by stargazer; 11-25-2015 at 02:08 AM.
11-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Well, maybe because there's nothing really new in this thread that hasn't been already discussed extensively (and beyond!) in other threads ?
11-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It's a tall skinny looking thing isn't it? It dwarfs that 24-70 like the 24-70 dwarfs a K-3.
11-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Originally posted by Outis
QuoteQuote:
Could someone provide a size estimate for just how much bigger the K-1 will be than the K-3? It's a bit hard to tell from the oblique nature of the photos, but the K mount itself is always the same size and we know how big the 24-70 is. Looking at it, I'd estimate this is to the K-3 or K-5 what a Spotmatic is to an ME or MX.
The second link marked "(above link works, just it comes up weird)" in the first post seems to show an exact comparison of the size of K-1 to K-3, except thickness.

EDIT:
Had another look.
The body of the K-1 itself without dials is as high as the K-3 including the left top dial, so not much.
However, the prism housing is quite a lot higher and wider than that of the K-3.
Body widths seem to be identical.
Thickness cannot be seen, but may be considerably more.

Last edited by RKKS08; 11-24-2015 at 12:31 PM.