Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2015, 01:19 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
But as Nikon just acquired Samsung NX tech ,and a D760,D820,D5 , Canon 120MP whatever ...are probably out next year (springtime ) what will the Pentax FF have if its already in its final production stage now,and we know how fast tech moves in the camera world...4 months is a long time...
If you want to have always the latest technology, it's fine, but you may not only have to switch between brands, but also you need to buy every newly released camera every year, so you need a solid budget to do so. So the question is rather if you will need the 8K video or not. The real deal for me is the cost of switch for a basic full frame: today I could get a 24Mp full frame system for less than 2000 euros, and even if I already have full frame compliant k mount lenses, I might still cost more to stay with Pentax.

12-03-2015, 01:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In 2009 I order a DA*16-50mm lens that was DOA. When zooming the internal lens hit the frontlens. So it is possible for you to get a Pentax K-1 arriving at your place to be DOA! No idea on how big the chance for that is?
12-03-2015, 02:26 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I just wonder who,besides us who have lots of Pentax glass,will be seduced by the new FF??
Besides us with lots of Pentax glass, it will be interesting for other people going full frame because it offers in camera shake reduction (meaning the SR will be upgraded for all the lenses every time a new camera is bought). The astrotracer and excellent ruggedness will also attract buyers. The adjustable screen too. And the class leading viewfinder. And the limited series (poor mans Leica, more functional - less nostalgy) And the compact size compared to other FF top models. And the DNG format will ease work flow for professionals. This will be topped with a price at least 20% lower then comparable cameras. The K-1 will be a top of the line camera, so don't be tempted to compare price and size with Canon 6D or Nikon D610.

QuoteOriginally posted by quant2325 Quote
Who cares if someone comes out with a 120MP sensor? 20MP is enough for most people in a FF, and the new Pentax will likely be 30MP-40MP.
K-1 will not be the one and only Pentax FF. It will just be the first. I'm sure they will find good ways to differentiate the FF models. At least one offering extra high MP count within two years from now.

I believe the reason that Samsung camera business closes or get sold is that their large sensor development was to expensive compared to the sales volume of the NX cameras. It makes more sense if a company like Nikon with their sales volume did that. Pentax doesn't have that problem as they buy sensors from Sony. Sony doesn't have that problem ether since they have a large sales volume through their own cameras combined with other companies.
12-03-2015, 04:31 AM   #19
Site Supporter

I guess I wouldn't worry. Smart folks don't buy into brands because of tech, because it is changing constantly. Four to five years ago, Canon's sensors were the best you could get. Sony has currently passed them up some, but who knows what tomorrow holds? Beyond which, Pentax will have pixel shift, astro tracer and shake reduction on the sensor -- things that Nikon doesn't have on any of their cameras.

The biggest question in my mind has more to do with glass. This is the thing that Nikon and Canon have had going for them through the years. They have full line ups that have every lens you possibly could want -- from cheap to ultra-expensive. Pentax is, on the other hand, going to be going into it with the base lenses that portrait/wedding photographers will want, but certainly they will need time to complete the line up. I can already see DP Review's review: "A nice camera if you can deal with the thin lens line up." If Nikon really chooses to ditch the F Mount in favor of a new improved mirrorless mount, they certainly could pick up some dissatisfied Nikon users who don't want to use their lenses with adapters.

Be that as it may, I think the most important thing is that Pentax doesn't have to sell millions of these to turn a profit. I am sure they have relatively conservative predictions about sales volumes and will price the camera accordingly. If it is anything like the K3, it will be priced below equivalent Nikon/Canon cameras and that certainly will turn some heads as well.

12-03-2015, 05:53 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

DOA = Doomed™ on arrival
12-03-2015, 06:03 AM   #21

Not to be negative here at all,as I am eagerly awaiting the FF release..
But as Nikon just acquired Samsung NX tech [snip]
What if the first assupmtion of this rant is wrong (or at least unsubstantiated), is the K-1 FF revitalised again? Or does it just render this thread useless and the DOOM still stays?

10 reasons why Nikon acquiring Samsung's camera business doesn't make any sense | Nikon Rumors
12-03-2015, 06:32 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
The K-1 will be a top of the line camera, so don't be tempted to compare price and size with Canon 6D or Nikon D610.
By the time that Pentax full frame will be released you'll have to compare it with Nikon D810 Mark II / Nikon D5 or with Canon 5D Mark IV / 1Dx Mark II, or with Sony whatever. Pentax full frame will not be an entry level camera, that's for sure. I can hardly wait CES 2016 to see what all brands will come up with.
12-03-2015, 06:32 AM   #23
Pentaxian

It doesn't matter if the Samsung-Nikon deal (which appears to be denied by some Samsung official: Official statement: Samsung denies Nikon is buying its NX camera technology (update) ) is true or not. It's just an excuse to declare Pentax doomed.

12-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Not to be negative here at all,as I am eagerly awaiting the FF release..
But as Nikon just acquired Samsung NX tech ,and a D760,D820,D5 , Canon 120MP whatever ...are probably out next year (springtime ) what will the Pentax FF have if its already in its final production stage now,and we know how fast tech moves in the camera world...4 months is a long time...
I just wonder who,besides us who have lots of Pentax glass,will be seduced by the new FF??
To me it must have like 14-15 bit DR, base ISO of 50, ISO 6400 with little if any noise, 8-10 FPS ,say with he 36MP sensor that seems to be 'the one' they will use.. and I doubt video will be a strong point(for me that is not a problem)
Just looking for other's comments,ideas here on how the K1 will be competitive ,compared to what Nikon/Canon will have out then...
Everyone needs a hobby. Some people's hobby is owning the best photo gear. Nothing wrong with that hobby, but it can get expensive, because the minute you buy the best gear, someone else announces something better. Practitioners of this hobby have to dispose of and replace their gear every six months to find fulfillment in their hobby. Oh, and if their photos are really crappy with the "old" gear. they will still be really crappy with the new gear. But they may be able to make a lot more of those crappy photos with the new gear.

Some people's hobby is photography. It can be done with most any photo gear, large format or small, digital or film, fancy or homemade pinhole camera. Practitioners of this hobby find fulfilment in making pictures, and will often observe a progression in their photos from crappy, to good, to really good.

Choose your hobby wisely.
12-03-2015, 08:03 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

Not another thread about FF...
12-03-2015, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

It's more than that, a 3 in one thread: about FF, how Pentax is DOOMED and how it's because of the mirrorless taking over
12-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #27
Site Supporter

DOA will catch more attention than a normal release. It might actually work in favor. Cos the camera is pretty much guaranteed to wow. DOA or not. but if it works well after DOA then it will get more than the deserved attention. Not sure if that is called for though.
12-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
You do know there are more than 6 million Pentax lenses out there? The simple fact is, every one of the people who own and use those 6 million lenses, will buy one if they can afford it. Many of us still have lenses bought for tim cameras.

My photography teacher once said " Find the lens you love and buy the camera that goes with it."
All these people with these beautiful old Pentax lenses, will now be able to buy two cameras to go with their favourite lens. Like' how insane is that?
You grossly underestimate the number of people that are waiting for this camera.
12-03-2015, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The simple fact is, every one of the people who own and use those 6 million lenses, will buy one if they can afford it
If I could afford a FF body, I would buy a nice APS-C lens lineup (maybe a 560 depending on the FF price)
12-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You do know there are more than 6 million Pentax lenses out there? The simple fact is, every one of the people who own and use those 6 million lenses, will buy one if they can afford it. Many of us still have lenses bought for tim cameras.

My photography teacher once said " Find the lens you love and buy the camera that goes with it."
All these people with these beautiful old Pentax lenses, will now be able to buy two cameras to go with their favourite lens. Like' how insane is that?
You grossly underestimate the number of people that are waiting for this camera.
The problem now is that if you don't mind manual focus, any of the mirrorless cameras can be the body that goes with all the lenses you love. I don't personally think that most people are combing the internet looking for steals on ancient but amazing lenses that they can mount on their NEX camera, but there certainly are some. To me, most folks are looking for a camera body that works without a whole lot of effort with two or three lenses and is comfortable to use.