Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
To say you can't make your FF last for 5 years because of some new feature is pretty much nuts.
No, I was considering reliability rather than features (hopefully I expressed myself clearly in english, but it looks like I did not).

12-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #47

Betteridge's law at work.
12-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
No, I was considering reliability rather than features (hopefully I expressed myself clearly in english, but it looks like I did not).
My K20D still works exactly as it was designed to do. Never had an issue of any kind, and it's been carried for miles on hikes,bouncing with every step and also on portages. It hasn't had an easy life.
12-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My K20D still works exactly as it was designed to do. Never had an issue of any kind, and it's been carried for miles on hikes,bouncing with every step and also on portages. It hasn't had an easy life.
Well, my K200 also lasted a long time. But I feel like the recent camera models were not up to the reliability level of older models. My K-5 seldom hanged, perhaps twice in 4 years, but the K-3 had the mirror flop, I purchase that model after the mirror flop was supposed to be fixed, but it happened once or twice + numerous camera firmware hanging. So far, the experience with the K-3 is that it is less stable at previous models, and it is less stable than Canon equivalent cameras. So , I really wish that Ricoh do a bit more effort in product testing, verification and QC for the full frame.

12-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I really wish that Ricoh do a bit more effort in product testing, verification and QC for the full frame.
A 'pro grade' camera certainly requires that.

They seem to have done fairly well with the 'pro grade' 645Z. Reports of software bugs or hardware QC problems seem rare. So Ricoh can do it.
12-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Really?
No not negative--realistic Pentax is not Doomed !! but he rest of the world???
I have the funds saved for a Pentax FF now (if the stock market doesn't crash ;( ),just to get some feedback ..if its out in the wild now then no new tech will happen in it & 4 months is a long time to maybe just tweak the firmware in it..

---------- Post added 12-04-15 at 01:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
DOA = Doomed™ on arrival
NO I never said what DOA meant it means Dreams of Aspiration... shouldn't take everything at Face value
12-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
NO I never said what DOA meant it means Dreams of Aspiration... shouldn't take everything at Face value
Good save. :-)

12-03-2015, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Close, but I'm not buying it.
12-03-2015, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Own goal, I reckon...
12-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't focus on "what" the FF will or will not be. Everyone knows the "what". Focus on the "how" and the "why". These two bits will overshadow the "what" and will win over consumers.

Sony managed to stuff a FF sensor in a camera-ish body and we got the A7 series. It is capable of capturing beautiful images but it still lacks a lot of performance and operational features that Canon and Nikon have - the "how" which is driven by the "why".

We don't know the "how" and "why" for Ricoh so focus on the "what".
12-04-2015, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Not to be negative here at all,as I am eagerly awaiting the FF release..
But as Nikon just acquired Samsung NX tech ,and a D760,D820,D5 , Canon 120MP whatever ...are probably out next year (springtime ) what will the Pentax FF have if its already in its final production stage now,and we know how fast tech moves in the camera world...4 months is a long time...
I just wonder who,besides us who have lots of Pentax glass,will be seduced by the new FF??
To me it must have like 14-15 bit DR, base ISO of 50, ISO 6400 with little if any noise, 8-10 FPS ,say with he 36MP sensor that seems to be 'the one' they will use.. and I doubt video will be a strong point(for me that is not a problem)
Just looking for other's comments,ideas here on how the K1 will be competitive ,compared to what Nikon/Canon will have out then...
I don't really care.

It takes the nice smallish Pentax primes that I already have.
No macho nacho fastest f-stop, no nit-picky MTF charts champion, but these lenses make so much more usable sense (all things considered) to me and thats enough of a reason to get one.

Success or not, does not matter to me.
I just need to get one and it will last me a good 5yrs at the least and 8-10yrs if I am lucky (entirely possible judging from some of the Canon 5D's out there)
12-04-2015, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Focus on the "how" and the "why". These two bits will overshadow the "what" and will win over consumers.
Yes.

The 35mm DSLR full frame equivalent of the 645Z is what we want. And it's partially because of the 645Z that our expectations and impatience levels are so high. In terms of quality, success (can't turn it out fast enough) and bang-for-buck, it's a world-beater and we badly want Ricoh to do the same for us in full-frame. Let's hope any new primes that come out are not in the over-huge Sigma mold. Yes, we could do with at least one very fast wide-angle and one very fast normal prime, but the FA50/1.4 isn't really that large, and a D-FA* 50mm f/1.2 flagship lens (for argument's sake) shouldn't have to be that much bigger.
12-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Im not one to buy the latest and newest just because its the latest and newest. I bought my first K20D when it was new ...that was my first dslr after years of film. .. still use it and other k20ds I have picked up since.... fast forward many years and I upgraded to the K3 this past year skipping everything between the k20d and k3...why?curiosity mostly but specs played a role.I like the k3 alot....its not my favorite yet but growing on me.

I'm not waiting for the full frame camera to come out.Im curious as to what the product will be like but its not on my "gotta have "list....yet. Right now what I want is more quality glass! What I have so far meets my needs....and honestly I probably have way more than I need! But I really enjoy old lenses.

The only thing I find abit amusing with the Full Frame hype is how the tag "full frame" is being added to many old lenses being sold. As if it somehow makes a so-so quality lens into a high quality lens. I See it more and more in the descriptions. Its just alittle over the top marketing in my book. I do DREAD the jump in prices for old glass that may happen once full frame comes out. Until then I'll just keep focusing on glass aquisitions for my LBA
Al
12-09-2015, 07:04 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
The only thing I find a bit amusing with the Full Frame hype is how the tag "full frame" is being added to many old lenses being sold. As if it somehow makes a so-so quality lens into a high quality lens.
It's only an issue because many of the DA lenses do NOT cover the full 35mm-equivalent frame and will have to be used in crop mode on the new camera or be like looking through a long pipe. It's not so much being hyped (though that's a part of it) as informing people of its optical compatibility - though having shot film for many years before going digital, I know full well that ANY film-era lens is "full-frame ready".

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
I do DREAD the jump in prices for old glass that may happen once full frame comes out.
OTOH those who value corner-to-corner consistency in sharpness could be found rushing to discard those "full frame" lenses which they find don't deliver it. Then, depending on what your own standards are, there could be bargains to be had.
12-11-2015, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
OTOH those who value corner-to-corner consistency in sharpness could be found rushing to discard those "full frame" lenses which they find don't deliver it. Then, depending on what your own standards are, there could be bargains to be had.
lol, math shooters in my opinion. If your more concerned about the corners then your main subject isn't presented properly.

I think we forumites get too hung up on the tech. I think we just need to relax and shoot more.