Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Prices of old FF lenses could go either way. If the rumors of speculators amassing mountains of lenses awaiting release of the FF are true, new supply might outstrip demand and prices might decline. Frankly (IMHO) that market disruption (lower prices) has already begun.

12-12-2015, 04:04 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Prices of old FF lenses could go either way. If the rumors of speculators amassing mountains of lenses awaiting release of the FF are true, new supply might outstrip demand and prices might decline. Frankly (IMHO) that market disruption (lower prices) has already begun.
Obviously a lot depends on how quickly Pentax releases new primes for the K-1 and how they price them. If there is a new DFA *85 f1.4, it certainly could drive down used prices, although if it is priced at 1800 dollars, not so much. I've been really impressed with Ricoh's pricing in the second half of 2015. It really feels like they have made Pentax an affordable option again -- at least in the United States -- compared to the other major players. If they continue in that vein with full frame, the K-1 will be anything but DOA.
12-12-2015, 05:27 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Obviously a lot depends on how quickly Pentax releases new primes for the K-1 and how they price them. If there is a new DFA *85 f1.4, it certainly could drive down used prices, although if it is priced at 1800 dollars, not so much. I've been really impressed with Ricoh's pricing in the second half of 2015. It really feels like they have made Pentax an affordable option again -- at least in the United States -- compared to the other major players. If they continue in that vein with full frame, the K-1 will be anything but DOA.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the appearance of the D-FA 24-70 has driven down the second-hand price for the FA*28-70, so I expect that future lenses of that quality will not do that to earlier equivalents. What will be looked for fairly soon will be a significant update to the Pentax Lens Roadmap showing whether or not new D-FA* or Limited prime lenses are part of the plan for the K-1.
12-12-2015, 05:40 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't really know what the FA * 28-70 f2.8 sells for used. There aren't very many copies out there. From what I can tell, it sells for 1000 dollars-ish, whereas the new DFA sells for 1300. If the DFA would drop a little in price, it might push the 28-70 down a little, but there are few enough copies on the market right now that it probably will continue to command a premium. The same may be true of the other FA * lenses -- you don't see many copies out there for them, but much depends as well on where Pentax prices new DFA * lenses.

12-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't really know what the FA * 28-70 f2.8 sells for used. There aren't very many copies out there. From what I can tell, it sells for 1000 dollars-ish, whereas the new DFA sells for 1300. If the DFA would drop a little in price, it might push the 28-70 down a little, but there are few enough copies on the market right now that it probably will continue to command a premium. The same may be true of the other FA * lenses -- you don't see many copies out there for them, but much depends as well on where Pentax prices new DFA * lenses.
$900 - 1,100 seems to be the going rate, maybe trending down a bit since the DFA 24-70 was released. The DFA 24-70 will exert downward pressure on the FA*28-70 but this will be offset somewhat by the collector market.

One other unknown factor is whether Pentax will release a DFA*24-70ish at some point. If they do then the FA* model would likely be compared to the DFA* model which I would assume would command an even higher price than the DFA 24-70.
12-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Obviously a lot depends on how quickly Pentax releases new primes for the K-1 and how they price them.
AFA the K-1 becoming a non-starter, my gut feeling, rather, is demand will outstrip supply at first. If it is an outstanding camera such as the 645z I believe demand will stay strong for quite some time.

Regarding legacy lenses I was referring generally to the stockpiles of non-star K, M and A lenses held aside for resale when a FF camera is released. I assume the secondary market for various F and FA lenses is more liquid since it is likely more current dSLR users also want auto-focus.

An example - until the last few years a K35/3.5 or K28/3.5 cleared around $299 on eBay. Now one is fortunate to sell one for $129. A small part of me believes Ricoh is less concerned now about secondary market lenses supplanting potential new lens sales - that might have something to do with the (at last) timing of the FF.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-12-2015 at 07:59 PM.
12-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh is less concerned now about secondary market lenses supplanting potential new lens sales
Indeed. It is funny to suggest that Ricoh HQ studies the used lens market on eBay for K and M lenses to help them formulate their current lens strategy.

12-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It is funny to suggest that Ricoh HQ studies the used lens market on eBay for K and M lenses to help them formulate their current lens strategy.
Conspiracy theorists would say they are hoarding them, especially copies of the coveted FA*85mm f/1.4, FA*200mm f/4 ED [IF]Macro, A*135mm f/1.8, A 50mm f/1.2, FA*250-600mm f/5.6 ED [IF] and FA*24mm f/2

Though to be honest, it wouldn't be hard for pentax to re-design the physical hardware used to house the optics and produce new and improved AF versions of the aforementioned lenses.

...I happen to have excellent copies of the FA*24mm f/2 and FA*250-600mm f/5.6 ED [IF] and two copies of the FA*200mm f/4 ED [IF] macro on hand.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-12-2015 at 11:20 PM.
12-12-2015, 11:44 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
...I happen to have excellent copies of the FA*24mm f/2 and FA*250-600mm f/5.6 ED [IF] and two copies of the FA*200mm f/4 ED [IF] macro on hand.
Two copies! That's bordering on hoarding for that very rare FA* lens.
12-12-2015, 11:56 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Two copies! That's bordering on hoarding for that very rare FA* lens.
I know, I recently put them on my optics testing bench, they have extremely high resolution at f/5.6 they beat the Nikkor 200mm f/2G at the same aperture. They both perform extremely well.
12-13-2015, 04:32 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
$900 - 1,100 seems to be the going rate, maybe trending down a bit since the DFA 24-70 was released. The DFA 24-70 will exert downward pressure on the FA*28-70 but this will be offset somewhat by the collector market.

One other unknown factor is whether Pentax will release a DFA*24-70ish at some point. If they do then the FA* model would likely be compared to the DFA* model which I would assume would command an even higher price than the DFA 24-70.
I doubt there will be a Pentax designed 24-70 for a little while. It feels like they have a very good lens in the Tamron designed 24-70 and they probably could not easily better it. The only reason to go with their own design would be to increase their profit margin on the lens.

With the DFA 24-70 versus the FA * 28-70, I would prefer the 24-70. It has newer coatings, weather sealing, a silent motor with very nice auto focus, and obviously the extra range on the wide angle side of things. Be that as it may, I think the scarcity of the FA * lenses is what keeps them so high.
12-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
. It feels like they have a very good lens in the Tamron designed 24-70 and they probably could not easily better it.
Designed by Jun Hirakawa, according to @Mistral75.

Very Pentax.
12-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #73
Pentaxian

No wonder they were eager/willing to accept a Tamron rebadge.
12-13-2015, 02:13 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer to think of it as a Pentax rebadge sold by Tamron.
12-13-2015, 03:26 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I doubt there will be a Pentax designed 24-70 for a little while. It feels like they have a very good lens in the Tamron designed 24-70 and they probably could not easily better it. The only reason to go with their own design would be to increase their profit margin on the lens. With the DFA 24-70 versus the FA * 28-70, I would prefer the 24-70. It has newer coatings, weather sealing, a silent motor with very nice auto focus, and obviously the extra range on the wide angle side of things. Be that as it may, I think the scarcity of the FA * lenses is what keeps them so high.
Agree completely. Though why Pentax releases a DFA*70-200 but no DFA*24-70 still confuses me. I can see why they did not call the DFA 24-70 a '*', it's not their lens but not having a '*' lens in that focal range is very puzzling. It leads me to think there will eventually be a DFA*24-70, 28-70 or something similar. Or maybe they will have a DFA*24-90?? or DFA*22-60??