Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will the new Pentax K1 FF be DOA??

Not to be negative here at all,as I am eagerly awaiting the FF release..
But as Nikon just acquired Samsung NX tech ,and a D760,D820,D5 , Canon 120MP whatever ...are probably out next year (springtime ) what will the Pentax FF have if its already in its final production stage now,and we know how fast tech moves in the camera world...4 months is a long time...
I just wonder who,besides us who have lots of Pentax glass,will be seduced by the new FF??
To me it must have like 14-15 bit DR, base ISO of 50, ISO 6400 with little if any noise, 8-10 FPS ,say with he 36MP sensor that seems to be 'the one' they will use.. and I doubt video will be a strong point(for me that is not a problem)
Just looking for other's comments,ideas here on how the K1 will be competitive ,compared to what Nikon/Canon will have out then...

12-02-2015, 08:48 PM - 14 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
But as Nikon just acquired Samsung NX tech ,and a D760,D820,D5 , Canon 120MP whatever ...are probably out next year (springtime ) what will the Pentax FF have if its already in its final production stage now,and we know how fast tech moves in the camera world...4 months is a long time...
I just wonder who,besides us who have lots of Pentax glass,will be seduced by the new FF??
To me it must have like 14-15 bit DR, base ISO of 50, ISO 6400 with little if any noise, 8-10 FPS ,say with he 36MP sensor that seems to be 'the one' they will use.. and I doubt video will be a strong point(for me that is not a problem)
Just looking for other's comments,ideas here on how the K1 will be competitive ,compared to what Nikon/Canon will have out then...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." (Sherlock Holmes)
12-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Is already confirmed the purchase of samsung by nikon?
12-02-2015, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have run too oft to this cry of wolf.
The Pentax FF will be what it is, when it is.
I have abandoned all hope and expectation towards fully utilizing my legacy lenses again in anything but legacy film bodies.

12-02-2015, 09:10 PM - 16 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Will the new Pentax K1 FF be DOA??
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-04-2015 at 04:36 AM.
12-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

No, because it takes a while before a business acquisition produces anything new/fruitful. It took a while before new worthwhile cameras came out when Hoya and Ricoh exchanged hands.
12-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalis Quote
well aren't you just a ray of sunshine?
^^^^^ lol

12-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #8

Pentax (well, Ricoh) has been much more innovative in recent years than Canikon so I'd expect it to remain competitive. Samsung sold for a reason. There is little money anymore in this market. Who cares if someone comes out with a 120MP sensor? 20MP is enough for most people in a FF, and the new Pentax will likely be 30MP-40MP. If someone comes out with more MP it simply means the price of everything else drops to remain competitive. Your assumption that the Pentax will have the same specs as the engineers planned it for original release could be wrong. We don't know for sure why the release was delayed...perhaps it was to include an upgrade not yet announced? The other tradeoff is burst speed. The bigger the sensor, the slower it will be making it more difficult to use for most sports.
12-02-2015, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Has this topic not been exhausted in numerous other threads? Oh, my bad.
12-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
No, because it takes a while before a business acquisition produces anything new/fruitful. It took a while before new worthwhile cameras came out when Hoya and Ricoh exchanged hands.
That would depend on how this is structured. Samsung might manufacture the camera and lenses for Nikon for the first couple of years. Samsung obviously have all of the equipment in place and the people ready to make cameras and glass. Nikon just needs to provide the designs for the new mount and take over R&D. My guess is that Nikon has been working on the design for the body and lenses for 2-3 years now and has everything ready to go.
12-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We can hope that there is a unique feature that proved a little more difficult to execute, or that Sony wasn't willing to sell its newest sensor to someone else before a certain time.
12-03-2015, 12:23 AM   #12

Well, honestly, what did You expect? That Canon's and Nikon's development would come to a standstill? That lot's of people already invested in Canikon would jump ship in masses if Pentax develops the "Über-FF"? I think it would be already positive if the FF could attract a lot of attention outside PF, all other is wishfull thinking / speculation as long as we don't even know the specs for sure.
12-03-2015, 12:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's that "tech" word again. Nikon's bought Samsung's NX "tech" (whatever that means, if it's true); "tech" moves so fast these days (speed of light, I understand). Bollocks. There's been no real "tech" breakthrough in the imaging sector since the move to CMOS sensors. The rest has been the development of existing technologies and refinement of software.

Christmas is coming. The only thing DOA is Santa Claus, and we're not allowed to tell the kids about him, anyway. Oh, and a few million turkeys and pigs, and we can't mention that, either.
12-03-2015, 12:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Not to be negative here at all
Really?
12-03-2015, 12:59 AM - 5 Likes   #15
Site Supporter

This thread is DOA