Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Pentax reveals the front face of the camera....

Check their website.

Full Frame by PENTAX | RICOH IMAGING

Also there is some japanese text walking the visitors through the history and the new format introduction... Glad to see some more movement albeit on their website. It only is reassuring.

12-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

English translation available at top right. click on the word Japanese, then click English.
12-04-2015, 09:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Covered in this thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/308856-pentax-ff-teaser-updated.html
12-04-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Based on the "K-1" photo, I would love that this FF is Pentax's improved version of the Nikon Df. Analog retro styled knobs, modern DSLR ergonomics, but not so purist as to not include video. I would also love to see it bundled with special edition primes. Nikon missed the mark when they didn't make the Df an analog version of the D800 or D4. I am grateful they broke some trends, but I am hoping that Ricoh is maverick enough to innovate an FF that isn't just a compromise between APS-C and the 645Z, but rather something unique of all brands.

12-05-2015, 02:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

No, the K-1 is not a fake retro camera.
12-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K1 is not retro. It has very little visual or ergonomic similarity to the LX. In face view, the LX is an elongate rectangle with the lens essentially centered and a pentaprism much less than half the camera width. The K1 in face view is almost square with the dominating lens set close to the left side (photographer's left) and a pentaprism that is at least half the width of the camera. To me, from the front the K1 more closely resembles a 'Blad equipped with grip and prism than a classic '60~'90 35mm SLR. Photo style has changed. In the film era, a photographer would hold the camera in the right hand while focusing with the left, then move the left hand to grip the camera body while triggering the shutter. Commonly now photographers tend to keep their left hand on the zoom ring all the time and rarely shift to grasping the left side of the camera body. (SFL fans will soon arise to counter this observation)
12-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The K1 is not retro. It has very little visual or ergonomic similarity to the LX. In face view, the LX is an elongate rectangle with the lens essentially centered and a pentaprism much less than half the camera width. The K1 in face view is almost square with the dominating lens set close to the left side (photographer's left) and a pentaprism that is at least half the width of the camera. To me, from the front the K1 more closely resembles a 'Blad equipped with grip and prism than a classic '60~'90 35mm SLR. Photo style has changed. In the film era, a photographer would hold the camera in the right hand while focusing with the left, then move the left hand to grip the camera body while triggering the shutter. Commonly now photographers tend to keep their left hand on the zoom ring all the time and rarely shift to grasping the left side of the camera body. (SFL fans will soon arise to counter this observation)
I agree, but I was basing my "retro styled knobs" comment based on the image in the first link in the post. I didn't mean to imply it would be a retro Pentax but rather like the Df's use of more analog type controls for shutter speed, ISO, etc. As I shoot mostly with prime lenses, I find changing an aperture ring with my left hand and changing the shutter with the right much faster than having the right hand do both, albeit with two different fingers. I can also blame 'muscle memory' from decades of shooting film.

I would also favor primes with a FF sensor, if for no other reason than to get shallower depth-of-field and creamier bokeh.

And just for laughs: I don't miss a manual advance lever, although that would be hilarious if Lomo came out with a digital camera sans battery that was powered by a manual advance lever or a crank powered spinner.
12-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Judging from the front image it's a reasonable guess, however a K-1 prototype was displayed at various fairs, and we were able to see the top of the camera (even peak under the sticker covering its name )
It don't have retro dials, but a configurable extra e-dial, and an extra mode dial with which you can set what the e-dial can do.
See for example this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/307330-pentax-k-1-t...oto-paris.html

12-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
And just for laughs: I don't miss a manual advance lever, although that would be hilarious if Lomo came out with a digital camera sans battery that was powered by a manual advance lever or a crank powered spinner.
That, as my son would say, is a hoot of an idea. A DSLR with a non-removable internal battery charged by a solar cell or bright interior lights, but with a back-up, flip-it-fast-as-you-can lever operated generator if needed in dim light or to charge a capacitor for the internal strobe. Let's take out a patent.
12-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That, as my son would say, is a hoot of an idea. A DSLR with a non-removable internal battery charged by a solar cell or bright interior lights, but with a back-up, flip-it-fast-as-you-can lever operated generator if needed in dim light or to charge a capacitor for the internal strobe. Let's take out a patent.
I'll let you do all the kickstarting, engineering, and patent processing. All that I ask is that you call it the "Lobo" and the fad/trend will be called Lobotography. Highly recommended for your fallout shelters and guaranteed to keep shooting during an EMP event. Needless to say, I recommend using lead for the camera body and users must wear gloves at all times. Instead of a pop up flash, there should be 'cold shoe' on top of the pentaprism which is essentially a hook so the 10 pound camera can be used as a counterweight on tripods.
12-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I want to call it "The Crank" so users will be known as "crank photographers."
12-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
After all the sledging about the use of "DSRL" in the previous thread, I see that moving to the English version of the link, "digital SLR" is now used.