Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be honest, I don't think asahi man has had a very good track record recently regarding what Ricoh is doing. A lot of things he has said turned out to be untrue - the Nov 6 announcement, the 70-200 availability and so on. And he seemed to be as surprised as the rest of us when the 24-70 came out. I say this with no intention of disrespect, because he is a passionate Pentax fan - but he might not be as well connected as he once was.

12-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Both the D FA* 70-200 and the K-1 were postponed - perhaps Oct 6 was the initial plan? I really don't think asahi man made that up...
12-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
To be honest, I don't think asahi man has had a very good track record recently regarding what Ricoh is doing. A lot of things he has said turned out to be untrue - the Nov 6 announcement, the 70-200 availability and so on. And he seemed to be as surprised as the rest of us when the 24-70 came out. I say this with no intention of disrespect, because he is a passionate Pentax fan - but he might not be as well connected as he once was.
I don't see anyone doing better? WTF?
12-11-2015, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't expect unfailing accuracy. What we get (given acceptance that it might change) is usually indicative of what is happening, generally..

12-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Fot what they worth, I find this Asahiman's rumour, in the "Pentax 78-200 canceled" thread much more interesting:

QuoteQuote:
Every new limited will get an internal drive and the top models will keep the dual drive
From which we can deduce that new limiteds are in preparation...
12-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't see anyone doing better? WTF?
Like I said, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I was just stating the facts. Either things are changing too quickly, or the person (persons?) he has contact with at Ricoh do not have very reliable information. So when he says the K-1 is already in full production, it might be but I am skeptical. Usually when things are committed to full production, a company allows for pre-orders to take place, as you already know how many units you will have done, before you start the production line.

So I'm just a bit skeptical due to the recent things he said that turned out not to be true. That is all. No WTF necessary if one is paying attention.
12-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #22
Pentaxian

We know things have changed; first the K-1 was supposed to be announced by the end of the year, then suddenly it was "Spring 2016".

As for the K-1 already being in production:
- I'd assume Ricoh Imaging would build up some stock before market availability, to cope with the initial demand spike
- shipment might be slow, if they go with cheaper (by ship) transport
It's not an outrageous idea, on the contrary, quite plausible IMO.
12-11-2015, 10:54 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

CP+ Yokohama isn't an October event.

12-11-2015, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
So I'm just a bit skeptical due to the recent things he said that turned out not to be true. That is all. No WTF necessary if one is paying attention.
Actually some of the things he said, that turned out to be untrue were later confirmed by Pentax, and then changed by Pentax. So, while what he said did turn out to be untrue, he knew what Pentax was thinking, and he would have had to have been able to tell the future to know what was going to happen. SO, yes I do pay attention and it's still WTF for me. I do not expect Asahi man to know that the 645z was going to be pushed ahead of the FF because of the availability of the new better sensor. I was told myself by Pentax reps the 645d was on a 5 year cycle, it ended up being 4. I understand completely how Asahi man could be caught off guard, I was caught off guard as well, because Ihad actually talked to Pentax reps. Same with the K-3 II replacement taking up production space needed for the FF. Same with the AF on the 70-200 not meeting spec and needing a redesign. If you can point out some time when Asahi man was wrong, when it was just him and the whole of Pentax didn't do an about turn, I'd might say something about his reliability. So what I'm basically saying is, he knows what Pentax is thinking. When Pentax changes their thinking, that doesn't make him un-reliable, that makes Pentax unreliable.
12-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
CP+ Yokohama isn't an October event.
Who said it is?