Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #46
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
This part interests me:L

"As for the APS-C-size image sensor, the DA lens series, the cropping function makes it possible to use the APS-C-size center portion of an image. By changing the settings, you can also choose a 35mm full-frame angle of view."

Is sounds like the camera will record a full-frame image using a DA lens, including the vignetting. Is anyone else reading that quote the same way?
Sounds like it. One can always crop the vignetting out.

12-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But Ron wants to know if it will crop to APS-H.
12-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
I want a price tag so I can save up (or not).
There were rumors it would be close to 2000 euros.
12-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #49
Veteran Member

This part interests me:L

"As for the APS-C-size image sensor, the DA lens series, the cropping function makes it possible to use the APS-C-size center portion of an image. By changing the settings, you can also choose a 35mm full-frame angle of view."

Is sounds like the camera will record a full-frame image using a DA lens, including the vignetting. Is anyone else reading that quote the same way?
Yes. The 10-17mm DA fisheye should produce an "interesting" image at 10mm! >180 degrees horizontal before vignetting etc. kills it!

12-11-2015, 07:26 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
Yes. The 10-17mm DA fisheye should produce an "interesting" image at 10mm! >180 degrees horizontal before vignetting etc. kills it!
I tried it on a film camera once, I was less than impressed, maybe this will be different.
12-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #51
Site Supporter

What's APS-H?
12-11-2015, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some weird CaNikon thing.

12-11-2015, 07:36 PM   #53
Pentaxian

I'm surprised Ron isn't here yet to explain. Usually you mention APS-h and he's here immediately. He must be sick or off grid. It's a 1.7 or 1.8 crops sensor instead of 1.5, so half way between APS-c and FF. I think it's a canon thing.
12-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Perhaps they feel the need to reassure the legions of old glass users that the wait has been worth it?
Nah, they're just tired of hearing the shouts of a very loud minority that they want an mirrorless full frame with a new mount to do away with the mirror box so that *insert armchair reason here*.
12-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Yes. You will have full-control over the cropping behaviour.

Even when shooting an APS-C lens "by changing the settings, you can also choose a 35mm full-frame angle of view". They are explicit about it.

In other words, the Pentax FF will offer much the same options with crop lenses as every other FF in the market.
12-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #56
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by x-country Quote
Originally posted by Asahiflex
It's indeed interesting that they chose to showcase results with those old lenses first... Because both of them cannot be bought new. A sign that new, updated versions will come? Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense at all to use these instead of the new 24-70 and 70-200mm zooms (from a business standpoint).
Of course it makes sense. They're aiming also for pentaxians with old equipment
My guess is they are mainly targeting nostalgic pentaxians with old equipment. The whole page is mostly about what Pentax used to be back in the days. The only thing mentioned about the new camera is that it is going to be compatible with your old film-era lenses and with your old APS-C lenses.
12-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
The promo page seems to be updated every couple of weeks with a new item. First showing was the Pentax DNA and reference to the LX. This week reference to compatibility with all K mount lenses. Over the next few weeks we will see more topics as they relate to the new camera. Ultimately it will be the makings of a complete brochure I'm sure.
Good to see they listened to me when I pointed out their repeated use of the term "SRL". That could make a camera company lose a lot of credibility.

---------- Post added 12-12-2015 at 01:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
I remember the DFA 70-200 and DFA 150-450 samples weren't great either.

Not to mention they used 24mm 400 ISO at 1/1600 when they really didn't need to?
Don't know why, but Pentax never releases great sample images for their cameras or lenses. Sufficient, but not great.

---------- Post added 12-12-2015 at 01:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Definitely looking forward to this camera, will most likely be picking one up at some point in 2016!
Me too...if any are left...

---------- Post added 12-12-2015 at 01:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But Ron wants to know if it will crop to APS-H.
It will in Photoshop (or the editor of one's choice).
12-12-2015, 04:43 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"First pics taken with full frame"

I reckon this new FF body is going to have interchangeable view finders?
Maybe one will be optical and another EVF?
The changeable view finders were a special feature of the LX... Maybe they are hinting at this by talking about the LX?

Maybe they could have GPS in some and flash control in others and various combinations of options??

Maybe you get two or three viewfinders with the body?

Just a thought... )

12-12-2015, 04:49 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the technology to make digital interchangeable viewfinders would be awfully challenging but it feels like there's one more big surprise coming and it feels like it is in the viewfinder.
12-12-2015, 05:11 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I can see them doing interchangeable focusing screens, but the need for the interchangeable viewfinder has passed with the coming of the tilting rear screen IMO. Besides, they will be keen to retain the weather sealed integrity of the body. Both good reasons for not having it.