Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2015, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Feature competitive very close to the D810. Price competitive very close to the D750. That's the Pentax way.

12-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Feature competitive very close to the D810. Price competitive very close to the D750. That's the Pentax way.
Sounds good to me. That retailed for $2300 at release & is now sub $2k body only. I still wouldn't be able to justify the cost to myself because I'm not even using my current camera to its greatest potential.

Last edited by dansamy; 12-13-2015 at 12:34 PM.
12-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be okay with that.
12-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would be very nice, and means I would pre-order. At $3k plus I will wait until the price steadies. But only time will tell, and unfortunately we do not get a vote.

Re price we can argue / discuss / speculate endlessly but only Ricoh gets a vote. I would say that pricing on the new lenses has not exactly been showing as a 'value' product, rather they have priced quite close to the competition. Whether that means the camera will be priced accordingly or not is of course just speculation.

12-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I would say that pricing on the new lenses has not exactly been showing as a 'value' product, rather they have priced quite close to the competition. Whether that means the camera will be priced accordingly or not is of course just speculation.
I find the lenses rather expensive compared to competition... Especially a because of their limited aperture and lack of AF motor.

For the price, I have an other approach. I'd say:
Under $2 300 (€2 000) and with good specs, they will sell a decent amount of units and dig their hole in the market.
Above $2 300 (€2 000) and with average specs, the will have hard times to sell a decent amount of units.
12-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I do know that reading a lot of reviews, many people are very impressed with the d810's significant AF improvements.
Camera reviewers are a lot like automotive writers. A lot of them are impressed by things like acceleration and on-the-limit cornering, but most readers are after comfort, reliability and economy...
12-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Camera reviewers are a lot like automotive writers. A lot of them are impressed by things like acceleration and on-the-limit cornering, but most readers are after comfort, reliability and economy...
True. However, we all have to admit that Pentax's AF performance has historically been where they've lagged behind their peers. Each manufacturer has weaknesses. It's not derogatory to acknowledge it. Others have said that the K-3 greatly improves that AF performance, but I don't have one, so I don't know.

12-13-2015, 04:20 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perpetuating a mostly false rumor. K-3 AF is fast and accurate. Lenses are the limiting factor, other than tracking AF. I don't believe I have shot anything in my entire life that needed tracking focus. As a knock, for most users, Pentax tracking AF is a shibboleth.
12-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Azergoth Quote
I find the lenses rather expensive compared to competition... Especially a because of their limited aperture and lack of AF motor.
I was talking about the new lenses, such as the DFA 150-450 and the DFA*70-200. Also DA 16-85. These are not generally considered to be much if anything cheaper than the competition.

The older lenses? Well you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think they are expensive compared to what you would get elsewhere in general though of course you can pick examples where that might be true.

---------- Post added 12-13-15 at 03:32 PM ----------

Perpetuating a mostly false rumor. K-3 AF is fast and accurate. Lenses are the limiting factor, other than tracking AF. I don't believe I have shot anything in my entire life that needed tracking focus. As a knock, for most users, Pentax tracking AF is a shibboleth.
+1. If you need tracking AF, then likely Pentax is not the place for you. For anything else the k-3 is as good as it gets.

I really wish people would make the distinction instead of lumping all AF into one bucket and judging by things that are not important to many. I've never used tracking AF in 5 years of DSLR use, I simply have no use for it. If others do that's fine.
12-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Yes. The K-3. Even as recently as the K-5, AF was an issue. That was the reason for the K-5ii, improving the AF. I have the K-5ii, not the K-3. I don't have any great issue with my camera's AF. Most of the misses are attributable to me & not the camera. But I do know that others far more skilled than I am have quibbles with earlier AF incarnations.

---------- Post added 12-13-15 at 04:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I was talking about the new lenses, such as the DFA 150-450 and the DFA*70-200. Also DA 16-85. These are not generally considered to be much if anything cheaper than the competition.

The older lenses? Well you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think they are expensive compared to what you would get elsewhere in general though of course you can pick examples where that might be true.

---------- Post added 12-13-15 at 03:32 PM ----------

+1. If you need tracking AF, then likely Pentax is not the place for you. For anything else the k-3 is as good as it gets.

I really wish people would make the distinction instead of lumping all AF into one bucket and judging by things that are not important to many. I've never used tracking AF in 5 years of DSLR use, I simply have no use for it. If others do that's fine.
I think that's where a lot of folks get hung up. Honestly, if you need something specific for a specific reason, buy that thing! I'm perfectly happy with the AF performance on my K-5ii. But I don't shoot sports or get paid for my photography. But it's disingenuous to disregard their valid viewpoints on the shortcomings of Pentax's AF. It's not as good for tracking as other systems.
12-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But it's disingenuous to disregard their valid viewpoints on the shortcomings of Pentax's AF. It's not as good for tracking as other systems.
I agree, but the reverse is also true. Why disregard the viewpoint that the Pentax AF is perfectly adequate for anything but tracking? Would it not be more accurate to simply state that if you need tracking AF then Pentax is not competitive but for anything else it is fine. Yet so many people say "Pentax AF is no good", when in fact that is not an accurate statement. How many people read these forums (or some other review) and do not buy Pentax because they are told "Pentax AF is no good"? When very few of those people would ever use the feature that gives Pentax the bad rating.

It is like not buying a car because the review reports it handles poorly above 100mph. No one drives at that speed so the distinction is just reviewers finding something to write about.
12-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #27
Site Supporter

And that's where reviews & blogs fail to give Pentax its fair shake. Personally, I think if you're making money from your reviews & blog, you should have to actually use the piece of gear being commented on. I've seen "previews" posted where the reviewer read the press release & the spec sheet & published judgements regarding the gear. That's almost criminal in my viewpoint.
12-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I vote for that too.. im also wondering what Pentax will do with the A7ii price that is now at $1700, D750 is around $1897.. Could the new K1 be around $1900 / $2000 ? mmmm hopefully for us it will be around that price and have great features.. but.. who knows...
12-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And that's where reviews & blogs fail to give Pentax its fair shake. Personally, I think if you're making money from your reviews & blog, you should have to actually use the piece of gear being commented on. I've seen "previews" posted where the reviewer read the press release & the spec sheet & published judgements regarding the gear. That's almost criminal in my viewpoint.
That's the Internet for you. Living proof that talk is cheap, if ever it was needed. It's part of the general trend in broadcast media, though, where opinion brings a bigger audience than fact and "balance" requires equal time for people making the most fatuous or blatantly self-interested claims.
12-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
I vote for that too.. im also wondering what Pentax will do with the A7ii price that is now at $1700, D750 is around $1897.. Could the new K1 be around $1900 / $2000 ? mmmm hopefully for us it will be around that price and have great features.. but.. who knows...
I believe it will be list priced around $2,500 - near the $2,300 introductory list price of D750, not the current price of the year-old, overstocked camera. D810 is still $2,999 street. A7II is not a competitor.