Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #106

QuoteOriginally posted by Aoresteen Quote
The A7 II is not $3000 - it's $1700. The Canon FF 6D is $1400. It's the Pentax FF that will be more expensive.

Look guys, I've used Pentax since 1978. I have 6 Pentax film bodies & 7 lenses. I want Pentax to succeed. But price matters and they need to sell not only to their loyal base but to convert others to join the Pentax camp.

36mp isn't going to make people jump. Price will. Buyers will pay a premium for Nikon/Canon but not for Pentax. Look at the K5 & K3 pricing compared to other APS-C systems. Pentax is not the price leader. They are one of the lower end systems. They are way late into the FF game. If they are priced above $2K for the Pentax FF body they will have disappointing sales.

---------- Post added 01-16-16 at 05:30 AM ----------

No, they will continue with their APS-C cameras and the FF camera. But they are going to have a hard time making sales if they don't price their FF camera below $2K.
I totally agree! But according to the (rumored) specifications, I really doubt they will release it for that price! :/

And another great factor, in my opinion, is the availability of third party lenses, such as Sigma and Tamron. But that's probably the main concern of Ricoh/Pentax.

01-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Always learning something new. So English is not my first language so when a term comes up I tend to look it up somewhere. To see if i'm on the right track.

Vaporware.....

Well this samsung medium format probably is vaporware....

Then to the term from Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

There is at least one frame that was very much on Pentax reps mind one year ago when the plastic blob was presented...
Vaporware is often announced months or years before its purported release, with development details lacking. Developers have been accused of intentionally promoting vaporware to keep customers from switching to competing products that offer more features.

We will see what the future brings. Having a functional showmodel is just one step in the proces of having a "mass production" camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You are right on the first. But please stop doing that. You can't make a normal conversation overhere without someone shouting.....or accusing......The doomed thing.
Well I don't know if I should be pulled in to this, but I have recently commented on this too(English is not my first language either). Well conversation is always great. Nothing wrong with that.

vapourware/dream/sparcle in the eye, what ever. I think that there has been so many things in past that being little a bit suspicious at this point is quite good. And anyway it is one way to not get disappointed. There might be some thing why things gets pulled a way for some reason from production.

Now, this is first serious attempt on FF from Ricoh/pentax. Besides of that loooong a go made model MZ-D or what ever it was. Now they are all the way up to their neck in this. Ricoh.

so why not throw plastic blob with FA 31 attached to it, just to say: We are coming with this. Just you wait for it. Now this is not made in backstage, room besides toilet. This is full frontal. Some thoughts for all to ponder, if desired.

IMO after all of this text is, let us see.

about the prize. I hope that launch prize is 2500 +/- 200 or so. IF less, so be it.
01-22-2016, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If the Pentax FF is 36MP, one way to guage the Pentax FF price will be to keep a watch on the price of what I think will be it's main direct competitor - the Nikon D810. I think Ricoh will price it at or just below the D810 price.

D810 in Australia is about AUD $3300 (US $3000 at B&H), so if Pentax were sensible K-1 should be less than AUD $3000 here.
01-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That would make the K-1 2.999 euro overhere.

01-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And 3000+ € at here...but let us see.
01-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #111
mee
Pentaxian

You guys are deliberating, in 8 pages so far, of the price of a camera of which you do not know the factual specs.. does that not seem like a futile endeavor? I mean if you just wait for release, we will all both know the specs and price.. they'll give them to us.. happily.
01-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
they'll give them to us.. happily
We hope...
01-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #113
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
We hope...

Well.. I doubt the camera is coming in a black, unmarked box beyond stating 'Pentax FF' on the front, and we'll just have to keep giving the retailer money until they say they have enough.. if we ask what the specs are to make a semi educated guess on how much to give, they will say no.

NOW that would be interesting.

01-22-2016, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
NOW that would be interesting.
More interesting would be if Ricoh came to a deal with PentaxForums, so that everyone with a PF post count greater than, oh, 8000 , got a free FF. Or got a voucher from Ricoh that entitled them to a 50% Ricoh rebate on their purchase the K-1. In recognition of their contribution to Pentax marketing.
01-22-2016, 10:47 PM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
More interesting would be if Ricoh came to a deal with PentaxForums, so that everyone with a PF post count greater than, oh, 8000 , got a free FF. Or got a voucher from Ricoh that entitled them to a 50% Ricoh rebate on their purchase the K-1. In recognition of their contribution to Pentax marketing.
Further 50% for posters whose handle begins with 'R'? Nicely done!
01-23-2016, 02:19 AM   #116
Pentaxian

I will be writing a lot in the coming months....
01-23-2016, 03:57 AM - 2 Likes   #117
Site Supporter

I think Pentax will release the camera at a high price and allow it to sink to the point that they are selling the number of units per month that they want. My guess would be 2600/2700 US Dollars on release. Pentax isn't interested in selling millions of cameras -- they don't have the facilities for that. They want to slowly grow their market share and this is just another step along that journey. If they can sell the number they want at 2200 or 2300, then that's where it will be. If the price has to go lower, I suppose they'll let it go lower to a point.

As to the whole A7 line up, people who are satisfied with those cameras probably won't be interested in this camera. It will be a very different type of camera from Sony mirrorless with different native glass available. I would guess that it would be closer to the D810 than the A7r, but with Pentax tweaks, including pixel shift, which will get resolution past where medium format is (with static images).

As for whining about the release price, I expect that to be there. If folks want to wait, the price will come down over time, but if they can afford it and want it, then it is more enjoyable to take photos than to count the gold coins in your treasure vault. I never worry about what the price does after I purchase gear (unless I'm interested in purchasing another copy of something). Electronics prices do go down over time, but as I said before, it is more fun to use them than to try to figure out what the price nadir will be and wait two years to purchase new gear.
01-23-2016, 05:43 AM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Further 50% for posters whose handle begins with 'R'? Nicely done!
Such cynicism!
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
it is more fun to use them than to try to figure out what the price nadir will be and wait two years to purchase new gear.
Very true. Useful fun too - learning a new tool, not just empty consumption.

Complicating people's 'price analytics' can also be exchange rate fluctuations, of course, felt in some countries more than others.

In such a case, being an 'early adopter' may not always incur much of a price penalty if a few months after you buy something the Australian dollar plunges, and the new local retail price jumps 25%. Your lightly used camera is now worth more than you paid for it. Or things could go the other way - you pay top $$ as an early adopter, only to find that in a month or two after purchase the Aust dollar strengthens by 15%, and then the local price of the camera falls 15%, on top of the usual price decline over time.

It's all too hard to calculate those price nadirs sometimes.
01-23-2016, 08:27 AM   #119
Pentaxian

I'm with Rondec. I think they will price it on the high side of what the market will bear, as they have with many new releases in the past. Why wouldn't they? People moan every time at the release price, but the B&H price always drops after those initial high-profit sales.

The 16-85 came out at ~$750 IIRC, and people thought Ricoh had lost their mind. Or the 20-40 at $1000. But fast forward to now and both those lenses are quite successful and substantially cheaper.

As has been pointed out in the past, the disadvantages of high initial price is a lower early adoption rate and online reviews which knock a product because of a price which may only exist for a few months.
01-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #120
Pentaxian

I guess I have to post more than 30 posts a day then...
And my goal today was to have under 20