Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aoresteen Quote
So who has actually touched the Pentax FF camera, looked through it and taken a picture with it?
btnapa.
And your definition of vaporware is incorrect; it would become vaporware only if it's not released.

01-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner, as a Z owner I mostly hang out over in medium format. But I think as I previously reported in this forum, but not this thread, at the PDN PhotoExpo in NYC back in October (2015), I was told by the lead Pentax rep at the booth, in the presence of another person who was a blogger/journalist (Dutch or German, I think...), that he expected the price to be $2,400.00usd MRSP, and get to $1,900.00usd street pretty quickly.

This did not constitute an official announcement, but it was from a Pentax USA employee, management level. He had lots of other interesting stuff to say as well.
01-19-2016, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

I'm not so sure about it reaching $1900 pretty quickly... I'd rather guess the cameras will be quite scarce for a while. But we'll see.
01-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@aoresteen

Advance copies of K-FF are presently in the hands of a small number of selected reviewers, under NDA. Several members have handled and shot with it, one who is posting fairly freely here. IDK whether you're misinformed or new to the Forum or new to Pentax or just what's going on, but you're pretty far behind the curve.

I'd just relax and wait a few weeks rather than making unsupportable statements. I think you will be surprised by this camera, which will be better than most people think and which has a few really interesting features.

01-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Several members have handled and shot with it, one who is posting fairly freely here.
Are you talking about @kenspo ?
I don't think he's actually used it yet.
Or are you talking about @btnapa ?
01-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #81
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aoresteen Quote
And until it's available for general purchase it's vaporware.
"Vaporware" means a product that is never actually released.

Are you aware it is a pejorative term?
01-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
that he expected the price to be $2,400.00usd MRSP, and get to $1,900.00usd street pretty quickly.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not so sure about it reaching $1900 pretty quickly... I'd rather guess the cameras will be quite scarce for a while. But we'll see.
I would say that fits pretty close to the more realistic views here. How quickly it drops will of course be the interesting thing. I think they will start higher than needed because this is a unique opportunity. They have a group of potential buyers waiting for years and years. The price will drop based on the volume of sales and we will have to wait and see how that goes. If it is a strong seller I guess maybe the price will not drop until fall or winter of 2016 or even later.

01-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner, as a Z owner I mostly hang out over in medium format. But I think as I previously reported in this forum, but not this thread, at the PDN PhotoExpo in NYC back in October (2015), I was told by the lead Pentax rep at the booth, in the presence of another person who was a blogger/journalist (Dutch or German, I think...), that he expected the price to be $2,400.00usd MRSP, and get to $1,900.00usd street pretty quickly.

This did not constitute an official announcement, but it was from a Pentax USA employee, management level. He had lots of other interesting stuff to say as well.
As a Z owner you are gonna love the new FF. As far as price goes, you are all in for a nice surprise.

---------- Post added 01-19-16 at 10:00 PM ----------

btnapa.
And your definition of vaporware is incorrect; it would become vaporware only if it's not released.
Unless the bottom drop out which in case means Ricoh is going out of business, there is no way this thing is vaporware. I wish they would hurry up and make the announcement. Pentax world is going to go wild over this one. If there was a way to put a deposit down now, I would do it in a heart beat. I fully expect the first batch to fly off the shelves. I hope they are making enough of them for the first round.
01-20-2016, 12:22 AM   #84
Pentaxian

That would be 2600€ launchprize at Finland... But not so bad.
01-20-2016, 05:46 AM   #85

I was told by the lead Pentax rep at the booth, in the presence of another person who was a blogger/journalist (Dutch or German, I think...), that he expected the price to be $2,400.00usd MRSP, and get to $1,900.00usd street pretty quickly.

That would be unfair to all early buyers who will then have to see the price drop down "pretty quickly".
01-20-2016, 06:21 AM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abhaskare Quote
That would be unfair to all early buyers who will then have to see the price drop down "pretty quickly".
I gathered what he meant was that the MRSP would be one thing, but that there would be sellers who would be selling below that. Enforcing MAP is very difficult. There are the big retailers, who because of volume purchases get better terms, and then sell at near cost----basically they make money on the terms, and incredibly thin margin only viable if you have big volume, or if you are selling for no profit just to gin up some movement and hoping to sell some other stuff with the bodies---which is actually not a bad strategy for smaller retailers.

So, he wasn't talking about a slap in the face to early adopters from Pentax or Ricoh. OTOH, early adopters have to understand that prices are going to fall, and that they pay a premium to be an early adopter. I have been both kinds of buyer, a waiter and an early adopter. I knew what I was doing in both cases. I have been just as happy either way.
01-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #87
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
"Vaporware" means a product that is never actually released.

Are you aware it is a pejorative term?
The term can be pejorative but not necessarily so. It's used to describe a product that's announced but not released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

I did not intend it to be pejorative. If that's how you interpreted it I apologize as I intended it to emphasize the point that it has not been released. My bad.

---------- Post added 01-20-16 at 10:22 AM ----------

btnapa.
As of today, the term is correct. It's announced but not released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware
01-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #88
Pentaxian

From the wikipedia:
"In the computer industry, vaporware (also spelt vapourware) is a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually manufactured nor officially cancelled."
The 2001 attempt is not vaporware, because it was officially cancelled. The current K-1 is not vaporware, because the announcement date is still in the future.
01-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
that's a pretty good price

$2400, dropping to $1900 fairly quickly - that would be an exciting price for what's probably going to be a pretty great camera.
01-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by abhaskare Quote

Pretty common complaint. I've read more than one occasion 645D owners who purchased earlier at close to 10k are annoyed that the price dropped by a lot over the years.