Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ummmm...I am a little confused. While I typically frame fairly tight in the viewfinder, I save my creative cropping for PP and often crop a single image three or more ways. I am familiar with the arguments (popular with Hasselblad users) regarding square format viewfinder and also those regarding the "perfect" 1:1.2 ratio, but to be honest, I seldom conform to the viewfinder dimensions in visualization or final print proportions even when shooting to those two ratios.*

Steve

* Makes for some fairly expensive framing

12-20-2015, 12:11 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I seldom conform to the viewfinder dimensions in visualization or final print proportions even when shooting to those two ratios
Neither do I actually, I never view the image on the ground glass as complete*, there is always more to be done.

*shooting 4X5 and 8X10 format fosters this mentality. As I'm sure you know, with view cameras the image on the ground glass is upside down and laterally reversed, as my grandfather taught me: if you can get a composition to work upside down it will work right way up.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-20-2015 at 12:18 AM.
12-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
As I'm sure you know, with view cameras the image on the ground glass is upside down and laterally reversed, as my grandfather taught me: if you can get a composition to work upside down it will work right way up.
Indeed! It always amazes me how easy it is to adapt to the inverted view, though the process is very much more deliberate.

Steve
12-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

As I'm sure you know, with view cameras the image on the ground glass is upside down and laterally reversed,
So that's why I always had to stand on my head and look at my prints in the mirror.

12-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
So that's why I always had to stand on my head and look at my prints in the mirror.
You know, Horseman made binocular and monocular hooded reflex viewers that attached to the rear standard of 4X5 cameras, you should get one before you neck gives out.
12-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I had never heard of those. I don't know why, but it seems like the binocular one would be harder to adjust to than the monocular.
12-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The binocular ones were profoundly weird, you need two eyes to look at an image projected on ground glass? At least the monocular ones had a useful magnifier to check critical focus.

12-23-2015, 01:17 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The binocular ones were profoundly weird, you need two eyes to look at an image projected on ground glass? At least the monocular ones had a useful magnifier to check critical focus.
Chamonix makes a reflex finder to fit my camera, but I believe the image is still L-R reversed.

Only $250 + shipping

Steve
12-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The official word on crop mode:

The new PENTAX 35mm full-frame digital SLR camera features a Crop mode, which allows you to select the image size to be recorded, with a choice of three settings: AUTO, FF and APS-C. The AUTO setting automatically selects the appropriate image size for the lens mounted on the camera. It selects either a 35mm full-frame image size for D FA- and FA-series lenses, or an APS-C image size for DA- and DA L-series lenses. The FF setting captures all images in a 35mm full-frame image size, regardless of the lens mounted on the camera.* The APS-C setting captures all images in an APS-C image size, regardless of the lens**, while displaying a cropping frame in the camera’s viewfinder.

Full Frame by PENTAX | RICOH IMAGING

Also some new samples with the DA*55, DA*300 and DA 560mm in FF and crop mode. Still no word on pixel count which is frustrating.

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-24-2015 at 12:45 PM.
12-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

So no 1.2x :(

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
the official word on crop mode:

the new pentax 35mm full-frame digital slr camera features a crop mode, which allows you to select the image size to be recorded, with a choice of three settings: Auto, ff and aps-c. The auto setting automatically selects ... Either a 35mm full-frame image size for d fa- and fa-series lenses, or an aps-c image size for da- and da l-series lenses.

full frame by pentax | ricoh imaging

01-27-2016, 06:08 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chrischaaan Quote
A digital view finder maybe? But they are very terrible... I saw one in a Sony...
Not sure why it has to be digital.

A 1.6x magnifying piece on the eyepiece would do the trick
In theory, this magnifier could be inside the camera's optical viewfinder, with a knob to pull it down/up into the optical path. It may make the viewfinder slightly darker, but would still be better than a digital viewfinder.