Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2015, 04:50 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Forum Member

No matter what the price, I think the Pentax FF will be a success.

Maybe as successful as the 645Z. We never know but that's what I feel.

Hope I am right.

12-26-2015, 05:55 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by januko Quote
No matter what the price, I think the Pentax FF will be a success.

Maybe as successful as the 645Z. We never know but that's what I feel.

Hope I am right.
I also think the price doesn't matter. For different reason though. I would expect the K1 to arrive late by a few months and a few months later it will be discontinued.

And I hope I am not right.
12-26-2015, 06:06 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Yeah, right. All FUD-spreaders "hope" their FUD is not right. That's why they're spreading it
12-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Sometimes, one should worry on the principle of moderation, and its application to PF...
Off-topic and fully negative/unargumented posts should be automatically deleted...

12-26-2015, 10:32 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dreamfoto Quote
I also think the price doesn't matter. For different reason though. I would expect the K1 to arrive late by a few months and a few months later it will be discontinued.
I'm not sure about the delay, I suspect there have been enough delays now that the roll out will go according to plan. As to discontinued, yes sadly you are correct: it will be discontinued just before the K-1II is released..........
12-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm not sure about the delay, I suspect there have been enough delays now that the roll out will go according to plan. As to discontinued, yes sadly you are correct: it will be discontinued just before the K-1II is released..........
Which is probably when I'll be able to afford one….

Athough sometimes right after the next one is released, they get even cheaper. Funny the 645D never got as low as I expected. I guess if the price gets too low, they'd rather just toss them in a landfill.
12-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #37
Veteran Member

How can we guess the price when we don't know all the features? All we know is the sensor size. Is there a hybrid OVF/EVF hiding in that prism housing? Could we be surprised with new translucent mirror tech that offers 20 - 60 FPS burst rates with continuous AF?

12-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Start by looking at the other 36MP cameras, it probably won't be the cheapest, it probably won't be the most expensive… that gives you a range. These people throwing out 6D and 610or A7 numbers, ignore them.
12-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Funny the 645D never got as low as I expected. I guess if the price gets too low, they'd rather just toss them in a landfill.
I think Pentax is going to keep it around as a sort of "holdover" until they release the new FF, then discontinue it.
They may be thinking "Our customers can get a DMF (albeit with 5+ year old tech, but still good) for the price of a midrange FF, until we release our own FF"
12-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Start by looking at the other 36MP cameras, it probably won't be the cheapest, it probably won't be the most expensive… that gives you a range. These people throwing out 6D and 610or A7 numbers, ignore them.
I agree with you. After all we are guessing. My guess is a camera with capabilities in the Nikon D810 class, priced between an 810 and 750 which puts it in the mid-to-low-$2K range. Let's not forget that Pentax gave us the 645Z at an intro price of $8,500 which was a fraction of the other MF camera prices. They could have priced it at $15K and still be much cheaper than the other guys but they didn't. So I am hoping that they apply the same logic to the K1 and surprise us all with a low $2K or just below $2K price. The user base for the Pentax DSLR is much bigger than their MF so the potential sales numbers are going to be much higher.
12-26-2015, 04:39 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Funny the 645D never got as low as I expected. I guess if the price gets too low, they'd rather just toss them in a landfill.
I suspect they have a date when they want them all gone. As long as current rate of sales will achieve that goal then the price stays up. If sales slow to where they think they will not make the goal, then the price goes down.

But with the 645d they might at this point be all out at either distributors or retailers. So Ricoh would have very little to do with the price at this point unless they want to cough up some markdown dollars to help retailers move them out.
12-26-2015, 06:10 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Let's not forget that Pentax gave us the 645Z at an intro price of $8,500 which was a fraction of the other MF camera prices. They could have priced it at $15K and still be much cheaper than the other guys but they didn't. So I am hoping that they apply the same logic to the K1 and surprise us all with a low $2K or just below $2K price. The user base for the Pentax DSLR is much bigger than their MF so the potential sales numbers are going to be much higher.
I agree with that.. but some people around here dont see that the "low" price of the 645Z can be comparable with the FF camera, because they said that MF camera wasnt a "brand new" technology, and the FF is ( for Pentax ofcourse ). I dont discard the posibility that Ricoh surprise us with a grownd breaking price for a high quality equipment.. Actually Sony kind of did it with the A7 at a sub $2000 price ( ofcourse we know that the K1 is not an A7 but its just an example ) when most of the FF cameras were only $2000+, some people actually said that the FF price will drop to be almost the same as some APS-C ( that they werent that wrong either ).
12-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Has there ever been a case where the price of a new digital camera body went up after it's initial price point?

If that happened with the K1, then late adopters might wish they had jumped on board early.
12-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Has there ever been a case where the price of a new digital camera body went up after it's initial price point?
I think so...
can't remember what it was now...
12-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I think so...
can't remember what it was now...
You're just messin' with us. We're way to old to fall for that.