Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Is the Full Frame Pro ?

Is the Pentax Full Frame going to be considered a Professional camera ? None of Pentax camera's are listed as Professional. Only the 645d and 645z are considered Professional cameras by Pentax.

12-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Probably, no one has it yet so we don't know.
12-29-2015, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #3

The begging question is : what defines "pro"? Does it mean "reserved for Nikon and Canon user's only" or simply getting paid for your photos? In the latter case, would illustrating magazine articles with my photos made with K200d, K-30 and K-5IIs mean that I'm "pro" in spite of these "non-pro" cameras? It's kind of like the best amateur athletes becoming "pro" from one day to the next because they've joined a team to draw a salary from their athletic abilities. I'm certain that a professional photographer can make good photos with a "pro" camera as he most certainly can as well with a camera that isn't labled "pro". Anyway, we'll see how Pentax catagorizes its new FF...

Webster's simple definition of : professional

: relating to a job that requires special education, training, or skill
: done or given by a person who works in a particular profession:
: paid to participate in a sport or activity

Last edited by Davidparis; 12-29-2015 at 12:11 PM.
12-29-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think in this case 'Pro' means the ability to stand up to daily hard use like the Canikon 'Pro' level cameras. That's one of the issues we'll have to wait to see.

12-29-2015, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery
This is one of the more lame threads on the subject. Of course the FF is going to be a "pro" level camera. The K-3 is a "pro" level camera compared to what was available just 4 years ago, isn't it? Photographers are putting out "pro" quality work with their iPhones to prove a point, aren't they? Ricoh has a recent track record of having more innovation than Canikon and giving more bang for the $ spent than almost any competitor, as proven by the pricing of the 645Z and the K-3 and K-3II. What Pentax lacks is compatibility with all lighting equipment and related accessories, some faster lenses (which is addressed and coming), and the FF. What is lacking is coming with the FF.
12-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It's reasonable to expect the Pentax FF to compete against the Nikon D8xx and Canon 5D Mark xxx series. It will be as "pro" as those other cameras.
12-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As many other said.. depends what you undestand by pro.. because even K5s, K3s could be use by a pro ( people that actually work with the camera ).. so based on that.. the new FF will be ofcourse a Pro camera.. actually I know many Pros ( once again, people that works with a camera ) using D610 or 6D.. and those are entry level FF cameras, Pentax is aiming higher than the entry level FF.
12-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

kenspo said it is targeted at pro, so ...

12-29-2015, 01:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I think yes, unless they make it with a 3d-printer.
12-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

"Professional" and particularly "pro" have become what Don Watson calls Weasel Words, because they've had the meaning sucked out of them by inappropriate use, not the least of which has been by marketing types.

Is a GoPro a professional camera just because it says so in the name? I don't think so. A scalpel is a professional tool when it's used by a surgeon, otherwise it's just a pricey box-cutter.

The LX was billed as a professional camera, but the K2DMD was also used by professionals in plying their trade.

The D810 is used by amateurs and professionals alike. It's a pointless question, really.

Perhaps the real question is: "Will the K-1 be adopted as a working camera by significant numbers of professional photographers?"
12-29-2015, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigh. It's the photographer that is the pro, not his or her camera. That said, Pentax will have to step up their customer support and service game considerably if they want to attract working professionals.
12-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Is the Pentax Full Frame going to be considered a Professional camera ? None of Pentax camera's are listed as Professional. Only the 645d and 645z are considered Professional cameras by Pentax.
I always had an issue with the "Pro" label when it came to Pentax cameras. Way back in the film days when Pentax MX and LX were as good as any of the Nikon, Canon and Minolta offerings, they still did not consider them "pro" enough. So I guess the same stigma has stayed with the brand. I consider my K5IIs and K3 as pro as they come. Pro class image and built like a tank body... so tell me what part of that is not pro. I am sure the same will apply to the FF when it comes out. I guess Pentax is the Rodney Dangerfield of the camera world... it never gets enough respect!
12-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #13
Pentaxian

At least it's not Jabberjaw
12-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
... Pentax will have to step up their customer support and service game considerably if they want to attract working professionals.
That's really at the heart of whether or not professional photographers will adopt the Pentax system, along with an appropriate range of good lenses, naturally.
12-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #15

No, as long as it doesn't say Canon or Nikon, then it's not "Pro."

But in all seriousness, if caring about how a product is classified or perceived, Pentax probably isn't the best brand anyway.