Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Using FF alongside aps-c. Your plan?

My lens lineup right now is 15, 31, 77 and DA300. Rounding out with the M20, 43 and FA 135 eventually. Except for the 15, they're all FF compatible, but also very nice on aps-c. I'll probably ditch the 15 once I have the FF, but plan to use all those lenses equally on aps-c as much as FF.
My other idea was to use the 300 and 50-135 for the k-3 and then the m20, 31, 43 and 77 for the k-1. Does that make more sense?
Either way, my pack is going to get a lot heavier.....

12-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

FF when available if I can afford it. Most of my lenses are FF already. Crop to aps-c as desired.
12-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For sure I'll keep both systems, FF and APS-C alongside. FF for wide and normal shooting, APS-C for birding and wildlife (and probably as a travel kit, too).

In my opinion DA*300 with 1.4xTC (i.e. 420mm) is a small and lightweight combo, very very handy on APS-C; easy for handheld camerawork. FF equivalent would be a 630 mm lens - huge, heavy and unpossible to be used without tripod/monopod.
12-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
For sure I'll keep both systems, FF and APS-C alongside. FF for wide and normal shooting, APS-C for birding and wildlife .
This is my plan as well. Nearly all my lenses are FF compatible.

12-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
This is my plan as well. Nearly all my lenses are FF compatible.

Then my dream is DA560... Here the FF equivalent would be extreme 840mm... There's no such lens, if I don't count A* 1200 f8 (weight 8580 g....). And I don't really believe that similar lens (I mean longer than 600mm) will ever be produced again by Pentax/Ricoh.
12-29-2015, 12:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

There will be no "alongside". My current plan is for the full-frame to replace my K-5 when it dies. Lenses are another matter. DA lenses will be used in full mode where compatible, in crop mode where not. If worse comes to worst and crop mode sucks, I can sell them all off and know I will have eager buyers. I have a broad range of film-era lenses including a 28-50-135 FA prime trio that can go on the K-1 body for full functionality* the minute it comes out of its box, and the corners and edges can earn their keep on my K-mount film bodies in the meantime.

* = The promise of which implies the retention of screw-drive. Thank God.
12-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I sold most of my APS-C glass, and got FF glass.. i still have the Pentax 10-17 fisheye... that eventually will be replaced by a wide angle FF when the lens is release. As today I will be using Pentax 24-70 ( just bought it ), Tamron 70-200 f2.8, Sigma 85mm f1.4, FA 50mm F1.4... and the APS-C 10-17mm.

My plan is to move everything to the FF system and use crop mode in order to get some reach if I need it.

12-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
My plan is to move everything to the FF system and use crop mode in order to get some reach if I need it.

Well, what will be then the FF benefit?
12-29-2015, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Better sensor (does not always equate to higher megapixel density), better and faster image processing algorithms, better in-camera filters/distortion correction, etc, and quite probably a smoother workflow with more menu options on the knobs and available for easy access (instead of scrolling through screen menus).

He isn't actually going to get "reach", of course; what he will get (as we have all been getting) is the illusion of reach for an image printed or displayed at the same physical size as a full-frame one. I agree that buying a full-frame camera solely to use it in crop mode or with DA-only lenses seems silly and wasteful at first, but OTOH someone tracking a moving target like a bird in flight or an airplane at an airshow is going to appreciate having that hinted-at "crop zone outline" display in the OVF to keep a sense of situational awareness and help plan their composition as the object approaches. They can then frame and take the shot in crop while keeping what's going on around the object in context. This might be especially useful for airshow enthusiasts who want to take closer crops of parts of the airplane while retaining awareness of what the entire aircraft (or a neighbouring aircraft!!) is doing or may be about to do.
12-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For sure I'll keep both systems, FF and APS-C alongside. FF for wide and normal shooting, APS-C for birding and wildlife (and probably as a travel kit, too).

In my opinion DA*300 with 1.4xTC (i.e. 420mm) is a small and lightweight combo, very very handy on APS-C; easy for handheld camerawork. FF equivalent would be a 630 mm lens - huge, heavy and unpossible to be used without tripod/monopod.
That would seem like a decent plan, and something I pondered until I realized the FF MUST have a superior AF algorithm. The K3 is decent and 90% better than the k5 series, but if the K1 is finally in the realm of Canikon, I'm going to be using IT for wildlife. If the K1 AF is not improved over the K3, it would be really tough to justify upgrading at all, since the pixel density would be just about the same. Better noise when 90% of my shots are MUP on a tripod isn't an issue and I could care less about shooting f1.2 lenses wide open to get a single pore in focus.

So, no, if my K3 isn't going to up on the Marketplace or stuffed in a back-up bag, I'm not purchasing a K1 in the first place.
12-29-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
FF MUST have a superior AF algorithm
We'll see... hopefully soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I agree that buying a full-frame camera solely to use it in crop mode or with DA-only lenses seems silly and wasteful at
I was more thinking about birding to be honest. Considering different FOV, using same combo (DA*300 with 1.4x TC) would probably result into object appearing smaller in the viewfinder - IMHO harder to focus (bird's eye...) properly, which even improved AF can't save.

Last edited by zzeitg; 12-29-2015 at 02:22 PM.
12-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

In my case im looking for better low light performance, improvement on IQ, and because I mainly do portraits the DoF is going to be nice too.. AF tracking might be nice too but for my shooting style is not that nessesary, AF accuracy is more important. The APS-C "reach" as Pathdoc said its just an illusion, but helps to frame better in case that I need it.

As many said not everybody "needs" a FF camera, if birding/nature/etc is what someone is looking for and most of the shoots have good lighting.. people could stay with APS-C and that system will be perfect for that conditions, but for other shooters it helps a lot to have a bigger sensor.
12-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm pretty much ready for a dual format system.

Lenses I will continue to use on a crop body: 15, 21, 35, 55, 77, 100, 50-135, 300.
If I keep only one crop body after the FF is released I reckon I'd sell the DA*16-50 and buy the DFA24-70 for the FF.

Lenses I expect to use a lot on FF: 10-17 (from 15mm), 24, 31, 43, 50 (or 55), 77, 135.
If there were wide and ultra-wide rectilinear primes, which could match the flare resistance of the DA15 and DA21, I would probably sell the latter two.
12-29-2015, 04:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a slow adapter to new models and tech. I didn't go to Nikon until the F3HP. I didn't move to Pentax DSLRs until the K-50. I've had Nikon APS-C DSLRs forever, but am just now on the verge of going FF with the D750. With cars, I always buy the last year of a model before the redesign. So you can count me in for the Pentax K-2 or K-1 Mark III. At that point the wifi in my brain will control my new collection of Pentax Limited Primes.
12-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If there were wide and ultra-wide rectilinear primes, which could match the flare resistance of the DA15 and DA21, I would probably sell the latter two.
as long as I know.. a new ultra-wide angle is coming really soon.. could be a rebadge Tamron 15-30