Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why is it so easy to rationalize what we would really like to be true even though it's impossible? At 1000$, full frame would definitely be within reach!

01-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Barebone? This?)
Hard to tell. The dials may just be for self esteem at gatherings with other photographers and they actually do nothing. I see 14(?) modes on the dial but maybe they are really all just Bulb mode. You want 1/1000s of a second? Hope you were good at the Track & Field arcade game, 'cuz you'll have to press that shutter button really fast. Bare bones baby. Bare bones.
01-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #48

Original Poster
I didn't necessarily believe the price point myself.... but that is what the sales guy said they "expected". They are a pretty reputable store. Even if the store is off by 25% the K-1 is a super deal!!! Let's face facts.... Ricoh is a bigger and richer company than any company that has owned Pentax before and R&D from what I can see is not being spared. There are new products coming out on a regular basis and recent products show excellent engineering. Heck I dumped a thousand dollars of Nikon stuff for my K-50.

The K-1 is a huge step forward for Pentax at any price under $1,500 USD, and since it looks like the camera will be under that price point, the K-1 may just be the big step forward we are all looking for.

Last edited by scwinn; 01-03-2016 at 12:21 PM.
01-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. It. Isn't.

01-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scwinn Quote
The K-1 is a huge step forward for Pentax at any price under $1,500 USD, and since it looks like the camera will be under that price point, the K-1 may just be the big step forward we are all looking for.
Wrong on all counts.
And the store is not reputable at all (not in matters regarding Pentax, anyway) if they didn't knew better.
01-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #51
Pentaxian

The K-1 is a huge step forward for Pentax at any price under $1,500 USD
The K-1 would be instant death for SoCaNikon at that price point.

and since it looks like the camera will be under that price point
Unfortunately I very much doubt that - I know we all want it to be that cheap, and it would be marvellous if it were, BUT... I stand by my opening statement that I strongly suspect there's been a misprint (e.g. reversal) there and that $2100-ish Canadian rather than $1200-ish will be far closer to the truth.
01-03-2016, 04:13 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
... and that $2100-ish Canadian rather than $1200-ish will be far closer to the truth.
That's still only, what, $91-ish US?

(ok, closer to $1500 US, which I think would still be a very pleasant shock)

01-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is intentional disinformation meant to create disappointment when the actual price is revealed in just a few weeks.
01-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This is intentional disinformation meant to create disappointment when the actual price is revealed in just a few weeks.
There's sure to be some whining and crying and gnashing of teeth., now that expectations have been lowered or raised, depending on how you look at it.

It's funny, if I were switching brands I would buy a D810, not a D750, not a D610, no Canon 6D, not a Sony A-7. So, that's kind of what I'm looking for only in a Pentax mount. Some people expect a D810 at less than a Canon 6D price. I wonder why Nikon hasn't done that? They're using several year old technology, they have all the advantages of volume buying, the costs of every part in that camera, have long ago paid off their development costs, yet, it's still $3000 dollars. Why? You guys do understand that the first 10,000 buyers are going to pay off a huge portion of the development costs for this camera?

Let's have a lynch mob.

Last edited by normhead; 01-03-2016 at 06:18 PM.
01-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Any person over the age of 18 years who wants to buy this type of camera and actually believes any child who suggests the camera will hit the shelf significantly below $2.500 has proven to be deserving more than a little bit educational disappointment.
01-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Any person over the age of 18 years who wants to buy this type of camera and actually believes any child who suggests the camera will hit the shelf significantly below $2.500 has proven to be deserving more than a little bit educational disappointment.
But it is good day dream material though.
01-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
He just told you he doesn't care. Jeez!
What is PF without argument though?
01-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I wonder why Nikon hasn't done that?
Also because they have the users base to keep buying the product at a regular price.
01-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Also because they have the users base to keep buying the product at a regular price.
I think there could possibly be other reasons, like the cost of production, and the distribution channels. Even if you can make a camera for free, there are still going to be many costs associated with getting it to market. And they don't make them for free.

This is an area of closely guarded trade secrets. If the buyer could actually determine what the cheapest price you could sell the camera for, everyone would want that price, to the detriment of camera companies, retail outlets and sooner or later the consumer. If selling the D810 at $3000 makes Nikon happy, most of us want Pentax to be just as happy. If they can find a way to undercut costs and lower the price, then more power too them. But lets not bank on it.

Last edited by normhead; 01-04-2016 at 10:31 AM.
01-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There's sure to be some whining and crying and gnashing of teeth., now that expectations have been lowered or raised, depending on how you look at it.

It's funny, if I were switching brands I would buy a D810, not a D750, not a D610, no Canon 6D, not a Sony A-7. So, that's kind of what I'm looking for only in a Pentax mount. Some people expect a D810 at less than a Canon 6D price. I wonder why Nikon hasn't done that? They're using several year old technology, they have all the advantages of volume buying, the costs of every part in that camera, have long ago paid off their development costs, yet, it's still $3000 dollars. Why? You guys do understand that the first 10,000 buyers are going to pay off a huge portion of the development costs for this camera?

Let's have a lynch mob.
Electronics are cheap. Most of the cost is R&D. Thing is, most current cameras in everybody's line up is more or less based on a previous model so a lot of the innards are all the same. They could probably sell FF bodies for $1000 and still turn a decent profit but that would be disruptive and none of the manufacturers are going to do that. Pentax, in recent years, has been the most disruptive. The K10D was almost half the price of the D200 and pretty much matched it in features. The K20D was the same camera with a different sensor and software. I'll bet they turned some awesome profits on that one. Lenses have a lot of labor involved so the prices are understandable. Bodies? I think we're getting ripped off! They're mostly 3D printed plastic and metal with mass produced electronics inside. My old Spotmatic, with lots of mechanical and moving parts, probably cost far more to design and manufacture.